• 36(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
So far...no feeze with hardware acc and all options turned off..... Still testing. I hope this is the key. I have no idea what that even does for me anyway.
(2014-05-20, 14:24)McButton Wrote: So far...no feeze with hardware acc and all options turned off..... Still testing. I hope this is the key. I have no idea what that even does for me anyway.

It greatly reduces system resource usage. Having it off would be a temporary fix at best. If everything has to be software decoded you lose a lot of power saving features the box is designed for, and it is likely to run hotter and louder.
We debugged that issue today on IRC and were able to find the real reason, the upstream bugreport is below. Just a little warning. I really don't want to see "me too" in that bugreport*. All data one of the chief devs of intel wants to have, he has got. If he needs something else, he will write.

You can silently subscribe to that bugreport: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78960

* We filed some AMD bugs lately and some users spammed the bugtracker, which heavily went on upstream nerves. Thanks for understanding.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thx for update fritsch

Found this interesting interview with intel guy that works on open source driver, guess its worth sharing.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2...ics-hacker
Still fine. It's still on hardware acc with the settings off. No freeze. I've tried to break it and nothing. Runs quiet. No heat up.Cpu 1 is 15% rather than the normal 100. I think we may have a winner?
(2014-05-21, 03:17)McButton Wrote: Still fine. It's still on hardware acc with the settings off. No freeze. I've tried to break it and nothing. Runs quiet. No heat up. I think we may have a winner?

define "settings off." If you have hardware acceleration enabled but VAAPI disabled, you're not using hardware acceleration (and therefore have much higher CPU usage, etc).
Decode: hardware. Render: Auto. Everything is set to off. Cpu is running find. Vids are great. I'll stick with this.
(2014-05-21, 03:26)McButton Wrote: Decode: hardware. Render: Auto. Everything is set to off. Cpu is running find. Vids are great. I'll stick with this.

What type and bitrate file are you playing with software decoding to end up at 15% cpu? High bitrate 1080p content will most definitely produce a higher cpu usage than that. The celeron is not a bad processor but it is a mobile low power processor, you would need something like an I5 or I7 to go full software decode with low cpu usage (if then). If we are talking about 720p or lower with low bitrates and small file sizes maybe that is a different story.

Happy it is working out for you, and I'm not saying it isn't, I just don't want anyone to be misled (unintentionally) about the capabilities of the box.
I'd like to add, since switching my skin and some settings I went all night with both streaming and 1080p high quality local content with no problems. This is with hardware acceleration enabled. While it may still happen because it is quite random, it seems to be greatly reduced at the very least.

Amber skin seemed to be the cause of my frequent crashes in 4.0.2

Edit: Sorry for double post...I tried to delete it and combine with original.
(2014-05-21, 05:53)jsp1 Wrote: I'd like to add, since switching my skin and some settings I went all night with both streaming and 1080p high quality local content with no problems. This is with hardware acceleration enabled. While it may still happen because it is quite random, it seems to be greatly reduced at the very least.

Amber skin seemed to be the cause of my frequent crashes in 4.0.2

this correlates with what I've been seeing, as I've been doing all my testing under confluence, and have been unable to reproduce any of the lockups/freezes others are seeing
I was able to log into xbmc but when I go to install from a zip I get the dependencies not met
(2014-05-21, 21:05)mrivera0411 Wrote: I was able to log into xbmc but when I go to install from a zip I get the dependencies not met

sounds like whatever add-on you were trying to install hasn't been updated for XBMC 13.0. Either way, it's not a ChromeBox (or hardware) issue, and you'll likely find better help in the correct sub-forum.
As of now i'm selling my g-box MX2,

I got my chromebox to boot up to XBMC and the sound works and the CPU1 usage is 1-3% no freezing and the speed is amazing!!

I'm going to test it for a few days but I think I'm good
From the wiki -

"Suspend/resume is generally problematic with the stock firmware (dual boot setups), but seems to work reliably in standalone setups with the updated Coreboot firmware. Resume via USB is not currently working. "

Does "via USB" mean it won't work with a IR receiver plugged into USB port? What about a wireless/BT keyboard?
(2014-05-22, 20:15)MrCrispy Wrote: From the wiki -

"Suspend/resume is generally problematic with the stock firmware (dual boot setups), but seems to work reliably in standalone setups with the updated Coreboot firmware. Resume via USB is not currently working. "

Does "via USB" mean it won't work with a IR receiver plugged into USB port? What about a wireless/BT keyboard?

Right now I'm using a wireless KB/Mouse and I have no issues and I'm writing this from my chromebox.
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8