• 38(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-05-23, 06:17)hoobie7 Wrote: Does this have a wake-on-LAN option?
I use the Yatse remote and love the ability to power my box on and off.

@jsp1
I am trying to decide between this and the N2820 NUC.
Have you had a chance to compare the two?

Hello, sorry, I have not had a chance to compare them. The NUC will definitely be more versatile, while the Chromebox is a nicer piece of hardware. If you want windows or simply don't want to get your hands a little dirty with installation of something like linux/openelec that can be a little more complicated on the Asus, then the NUC is your winner. The NUC has a more outdated processor and comes with only 1 display output as well as requiring extra expense for ram/ssd so it does have some downsides. There is some news of recalls on that particular NUC celeron processor as well.
jsp1 has given a good summary. If you want to only use it as an XBMC client, i.e. run OpenElec, then Chromebox is a better choice. The other limitation is IR is not built in and doesn't power on/off like it does on NUC.

I decided I'll get Chromebox because its more powerful, the 100GB Google drive is worth $50 and I will use it, and its more future proof, for cheaper.
I am planning on just running OpenELEC so I am now leaning towards ChromeBox.
I had been all set to buy a NUC when the N2830 version came out but that seems to be taking a while.

My only question at this point is can I boot the ChromeBox over network with Yatse?
After all the work Matt has put in to make the Chromebox user friendly and the continued support he provides I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I don't know about Yatse powering the box on though...sorry. It has such a low power draw I usually cut it on once in the day (by switch) and leave it until I shut it down remotely. Admittedly suspend and resume functions are not a strong point on the Chromebox and it doesn't have a traditional bios to play around with to try and get them working. Though Matt has said he is working on it...and he has come through on pretty much everything else so far.

The pace at which problems are being solved is very satisfying and lightning fast compared to any other product I have owned.
(2014-05-23, 21:33)hoobie7 Wrote: My only question at this point is can I boot the ChromeBox over network with Yatse?

YES*

* Using OpenELEC, you can power on the ChromeBox from suspend (eg, resume via wake-on-lan) via YATSE, but it will not power on if the ChromeBox fully powered off.

When resuming from suspend, some of the time the fan will come on at a higher than normal speed for 30s-1min, then go back to normal. This is also on my to-do list to fix, but may be a software (ie, linux/OE) issue vs firmware.
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the ASUS Chromebox.
Problem: my sound system requires either optical or coaxial digital input. No HDMI input to my stereo system is possible, and my TV is not capable of de-embedding the audio and passing it out (it always outputs 2-channel PCM no matter what the source is). The Chromebox only has HDMI output.

Can Asus Chromebox (with Chrubuntu presumably?) take a USB soundcard that has an optical output, and does XBMC support this on the Chromebox?
Anyone doing exactly this, and can recommend which USB soundcard(s) work well?

If it helps: my audio system can take dolby digital up to 5.1, and DTS up to 5.1. It is the logitech Z-680 speaker system (ancient now, I know....)

Thanks for any help.
(2014-05-27, 00:30)xaphod Wrote: I'm close to pulling the trigger on the ASUS Chromebox.
Problem: my sound system requires either optical or coaxial digital input. No HDMI input to my stereo system is possible, and my TV is not capable of de-embedding the audio and passing it out (it always outputs 2-channel PCM no matter what the source is). The Chromebox only has HDMI output.

Can Asus Chromebox (with Chrubuntu presumably?) take a USB soundcard that has an optical output, and does XBMC support this on the Chromebox?

If it helps: my audio system can take dolby digital up to 5.1, and DTS up to 5.1. It is the logitech Z-680 speaker system (ancient now, I know....)

Thanks for any help.

I don't know about a usb soundcard but I have this hdmi switch from monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=10...1&format=2) that will split the audio from hdmi to spdif/coax. It works great for all formats and passes them through correctly to my receiver (i.e. DTS and 5.1 AC3 all pasthrough fine).
Still trying to decide what remote to get that would work well. From the posts above I understand that -

- you can't wake up or power on Chromebox via any remote or keyboard (connected via BT/IR/USB)
- you can wake up from sleep with Yatse (presumably some form of WoL)
- only way to power on from off is physical switch

What I'd like is a good remote that doesn't need line of sight, so RF/BT is preferred, fast response, and has a keyboard built in for searches.
(2014-05-27, 00:39)mdumont1 Wrote:
(2014-05-27, 00:30)xaphod Wrote: I'm close to pulling the trigger on the ASUS Chromebox.

Thanks for any help.

I don't know about a usb soundcard but I have this hdmi switch from monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=10...1&format=2) that will split the audio from hdmi to spdif/coax. It works great for all formats and passes them through correctly to my receiver (i.e. DTS and 5.1 AC3 all pasthrough fine).

I use this One: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NVS...UTF8&psc=1
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Hi guys thanks for the links. So, you recommend HDMI splitters over USB soundcards -- good to know. However i'm in Switzerland and the splitters i see with separate audio out start at $300 :S
so, no usb soundcards eh?
Help Matt!!
I followed the instructions on the wiki that you posted. Everything was fine until I the box restarted and the message on the screen is this,

SeaBIOS (version chromeos-2014.01.27-20140521_143233-MattDevo)

Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel.

This is all on a black screen, and it just hangs there.

I hit Ctrl+Alt+F2, no command prompt comes up, I can type on the black screen but nothing happens.
Any ideas on how to fix?
(2014-05-27, 08:32)xaphod Wrote: Hi guys thanks for the links. So, you recommend HDMI splitters over USB soundcards -- good to know. However i'm in Switzerland and the splitters i see with separate audio out start at $300 :S
so, no usb soundcards eh?

The asus xonar u3, u7, and the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II work in linux.
[Linux] [XBMCbuntu] [Solved] Compatible USB with Optical Out Devices?
@asleulv no progress on the frezing issue from here https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=78960, so is it kernel related thenHuh if so should i/we try the latests kernels (so far v3.15-rc7-utopic/ is the latest) from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Back to the city finally now i can start testing but i would like some feedback about my questions if possible.
So if anyone have tried the latest kernel mentioned above and have noticed better performance, less freezing perhaps please let us know. Thanks in advance
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-05-27, 15:47)ronnblank Wrote: Help Matt!!
I followed the instructions on the wiki that you posted. Everything was fine until I the box restarted and the message on the screen is this,

SeaBIOS (version chromeos-2014.01.27-20140521_143233-MattDevo)

looks good, the standalone setup updated the firmware

Quote:Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel.

This is all on a black screen, and it just hangs there.

it's trying to boot ChromeOS but can't on the new firmware. Power off, Insert your USB install media, power on, and install OpenELEC/Ubuntu etc.

If you don't get the boot menu prompt, you'll need to try a different USB stick, and download the official OpenELEC build from their site (Generic x86_64 version) and follow their instructions to create the USB installer

Quote:I hit Ctrl+Alt+F2, no command prompt comes up, I can type on the black screen but nothing happens.
Any ideas on how to fix?

that's part of ChromeOS, and not accessible anymore with the new firmware
You saved my ass Matt! Worked with no problem.
If I wanted to revert back to ChromeOS would that be possible?
Thanks again!
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8