Postprocessing in XBMC
are there any plans to add real postprocessing to xbmc (14)? one way would be support of ffdshow but that seems complicated/impossible. another option would be to add shader support like it is done in mpc-hc. at the moment i mostly miss a good sharpen filter.....
an LoG for example can be easily implemented in our renderer - volunteers ahead :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-13, 16:39)Ed76 Wrote: are there any plans to add real postprocessing to xbmc (14)? one way would be support of ffdshow but that seems complicated/impossible. another option would be to add shader support like it is done in mpc-hc. at the moment i mostly miss a good sharpen filter.....

Try DSPlayer
(2014-02-13, 21:55)fritsch Wrote: an LoG for example can be easily implemented in our renderer - volunteers ahead :-)

what is a LoG?

i know dsplayer but this isnt working very good/stable for livetv/pvr or other internet streams
Laplacian of Gaussian - it's a default filter in image processing which can be easily implemented by combining a Laplace Filter (second derivation) with a gaussian smooth filter, which has a symmetric kernel so it can be implemented separable.

Google "Mexican Hat" :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
sorry, dont understand that. to complicated. i only want to know if its possible or planed to implement shader support (for instance sharpen complex 2 or other shaders).
Possible yes.

I implemented a swfilter infrastructure together with FernetMenta - on linux though - we currently use this to do yadif deinterlacing - though decoding with vaapi. In this filter chain we can easily integrate such filters. Best are those ffmpeg already has.

Check those: http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html
hi fritsch,
every posibillity to postprocessing/sharpen is welcome. from the list you give i would say "unsharp" should be the right one. the "unsharp mask" filter within ffdshow is a good one, i dont know if its the same than the ffmpeg one. one of the best sharpen filters is sharpen complex 2 (mpc-hc). the postprocessing system within mpc-hc is very good (combine shaders, post-, pre-resize shaders).
Sharpen complex 2 is too strong IMO. It's too artificially sharp rather than subtle. Regular sharpen complex is alright. I prefer to do a luma sharpen in ffdshow resize instead. Lanczos 4 with 0.5 luma sharpen.
:-) I see we have a lot of experts. So - let's see for gotham +1. What we can do. I also plan on integrating the BBC deinterlacer, which has hit ffmpeg in 2.x. I already tested it and the quality is really nice - but - expect a core i7 to actually run it.
(2014-02-17, 04:31)StinDaWg Wrote: Sharpen complex 2 is too strong IMO. It's too artificially sharp rather than subtle. Regular sharpen complex is alright. I prefer to do a luma sharpen in ffdshow resize instead. Lanczos 4 with 0.5 luma sharpen.

yes, by default. but sharpen complex 2 is a kind of "advanced unshap masking filter" (like asharp in ffdshow) in combination with another sharping method. you can open the shader-file with a txt-editor. there are 4 different parameters that influence the kind and strongness of sharpen. the paramter for "strongness" is set to 2, and thats to much, i agree. but you can lower that...
a general problem if you use a sharpen filter - its hard to find one value for all kind of video marterials. i use ffdshow, so i can use a different "sharpen strongness" for sd, hd, avi/xvid. so the most perfect way to implement such (sharpen) shaders would be "rule based" (video input resolution).
(2014-02-17, 10:22)Ed76 Wrote: a general problem if you use a sharpen filter - its hard to find one value for all kind of video marterials. i use ffdshow, so i can use a different "sharpen strongness" for sd, hd, avi/xvid. so the most perfect way to implement such (sharpen) shaders would be "rule based" (video input resolution).
Yup, this is what I do too. SD content doesn't get sharpened as much as 720p because the source is crappy to begin with. A good 720p video upscaled can look near 1080p quality if done right.

I wish I didn't have to use DSPlayer or launch MPC-HC, but it's the only way to get acceptable quality IMO. The debanding filter also works wonders for a lot of content.
Please, someone with clue adds a first PR. I will jump in and do the rest. Also be aware that xbmc has more stages then just decode filter. Especially the render which does the upscaling needs to be taken into account.

And for the rest. We have all read Image Processing by Gonzalez et. al. - so let's do less bikeshedding and more start to improve xbmc code.

I won't have any chance to look at it prior to gotham is out. Quite full with other things.
Because i am also interested in using shader filter i searched for sharpen complex 2a and found this older thread. I won't like to use DS Player and i would like to know if i can use this or some other shader filter for video post procesing function. In DVBViewer this shader is a xml file and i thought it would be great to use it within Kodi 18 too.
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Postprocessing in XBMC0