How to force 1080p instead of 480p at start up ?
Hi,
everything is in the title ! Smile

The only way I've found to get 1080p is ti restart via the XBMC control panel and then, xbmc restarts in 1080 p.

Any idea to start directly in 1080p ?

Thanks.
Have you read this thread ?
It contains the solution to your problem.....
Bo Berglund
Sweden
thank you, I've added those lines in config.txt :
hdmi_ignore_cec_input=1
hdmi_edid_file=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

That's better,: it starts in 720p, but I don't know how to make it start in 1080p ...
You need to make sure the Pi is running at 1080p.
Then SSH into it and give the command:
Code:
sudo tvservice -d /boot/edid.dat
I believe that this puts the 1080p information into the /boot/edid.dat file and with the config.txt file you are using it will boot up to 1080p henceforth.
My system did....

QUESTION:
Are you running Pi with RaspbmcHuh
If not then that might explain what you see.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
I'm using OpenElec ... might it be different at strarting up ?
I would not know how the versions differ. But in the thread I referenced dandnsmith stressed that raspbmc is where it works.
You could test by installing Raspbmc with XBMC on a new SDcard (for example using NOOBS 1.3.4).
Bo Berglund
Sweden
First, if you set hdmi_edid_file=1 before you have extracted the file Pi will default to 720 without any other settings available.
Also, if you run tvservice -d when edid is not being reported correctly you might end up with a broken or empty file.

So;
1. Delete 'hdmi_edid_file=1' from config.txt. If you have an empty edid.dat delete that as well.
2. Reboot with the tv on.
2. Run 'tvservice -m CEA' to see if it reads edid from TV correct and what is reported.
3. If everything seems ok, run 'tvservice -d'. Edid.dat will be placed in your home directory.
4. Move edid.dat from there to the correct location (not /boot on OE, probably /flash or something, cannot remember exactly).
5. After that, add 'hdmi_edid_file=1' to config.txt and reboot.

@Bosse_B
I still do not recommend NOOBS if the main goal is to run XBMC.
(2014-02-17, 15:16)miappa Wrote: @Bosse_B
I still do not recommend NOOBS if the main goal is to run XBMC.
Why?
At the RaspberryPi download page they recommend it to newbies....
I found all other installation tutorials to involve a lot of Linux style keyboard command entries.
These may or may not be what one wants, but I surely wanted something simple that would work without much Linux knowledge.

But when I am here:
I saw mention of XBMC 12.3 somewhere here and since I am running 12.2 I would like to know the easiest way to upgrade to 12.3?
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Run NOOBS if you find it good, but at least RaspBMC will not work properly regarding updates and might be different in other areas as well.
If you want an update in Raspbmc on NOOBS you will probably have to reinstall.

The boot process is different and other stuff is different (such as partitions etc, location of boot/firmware files etc.).
I would recommend NOOBS if you must run´several distros (for example, if you really need a full Linux distro such as Rasbian).

History has shown that NOOBS installs and Raspbmc has caused much more problems than a clean install (due to updates etc.).
So, if you come for support when you have problems an mention NOOBS, you will be told to reinstall (depending on problem of course).
Just like in your first thread over at the Raspbmc forum.

Regarding version, if you run the latest version of Raspbmc it actually is 12.3.
Everything is in there, but it was compiled just before the version bump, but nothing else is missing.

Edit: By the way, the standard windows installer for Raspbmc is as easy as it can get. Press a couple of buttons, thats it.
After this reply I have downloaded the Raspbmc image file dated 2013-12-23 and extracted the sd.img file.
Also downloaded the Win32DiskImager tool and with this I wrote the image to an older 4GB type 4 SD-card I used 1.5 years ago with the RPi board I bought then.

Then I shut down the Pi and switched SD cards:
- Seems like one needs to use a keyboard and mouse to get through this...
- Managed to get it installed and proceeded to configure, first to activate the network remote control so I can use the Android Remote App
- I find the remote app pretty useful, except on some pages there is no way to reach the OK button so one has to use the mouse too.
- Then I tried to install add-ons and managed three or so
- But then the XBMC screen got crazy blinking all kinds of controls all over the place and no longer controllable by the Android remote app

Tried to get into the system with SSH (using PuTTy) in order to restart in an orderly way instead of pulling the power line.
But this was another problem because it insists on setting up some "initial" settings, which includes generating "locales".
I don't even know what these cryptic identifiers mean so I had to select "All", probably not the best selection.
It takes forever and I tried Ctrl-C and it actually stopped this from continuing....
So I could finally execute sudo shutdown -r now to get back to a working display.
This did not happen when I installed using the NOOBS method.

Anyway, I think that installing the Raspbmc + XBMC this way is not as complex as I thought earlier when I recommended NOOBS. Cool
There was really a pretty easy path to walk down if one disregards the problem with the GUI possibly caused by the Android Remote App.

I had to switch back to the old SD-Card before I was done because the system was requested by my family.
Will look further when I gain access again.

But one question:
Now that I have Raspbmc installed from the binary image rather than from NOOBS, how can I update it?
Since that was the main issue why not to use the NOOBS version....
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Let´s not completely hijack this thread.
Open new thread, preferably at stmlabs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to force 1080p instead of 480p at start up ?0