• 6(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
i'd donate too
Chaseme, thanks for letting me know about the memory. Just to be sure I have the right memory, I ordered one from the "tested" Intel configs -
DN2820FYKH Memory . Is your memory one from that list as well?
(2014-01-25, 22:16)StigMX5 Wrote: Chaseme, thanks for letting me know about the memory. Just to be sure I have the right memory, I ordered one from the "tested" Intel configs -
DN2820FYKH Memory . Is your memory one from that list as well?

I already pulled the RAM and put it back in the wife's laptop. It's Hynix but not sure on the model...
Hey Guys,
My first post to the forum, but I've been reading here for a few months now while using XBMC on different hardware.

I just ordered my DH2820 Bay Trail NUC from Provantage listed earlier in this thread along with the Crucial CT8G3S160BM memory listed on the Intel tested memory page. Thanks to all for those great links as it helped me get a good price from a reputable supplier easily and ensured I got the best memory. I was struggling with Amazon suppliers not shipping to my overseas location yet still. I guess it's still too early in this product's availability. But I wanted it right away as I've been waiting two-three months for these to be released.

I'm really excited about the 7.5v TDP! I've been wanting a box that'd allow me to run Windows for the full web surfing experience but at super low 5w idle wattage. Right now my desktop sucks up like 200+ watts idle and that's a no go for me anymore. Fan noise is also a no no anymore. I won't buy any more PCs that generate noise. Take note Intel. Not doin' it. Silent or nothing.

Sadly this one still has a fan but based on reviews of other Haswell NUCs, they don't rev up the fan under idle or when playing basic videos. Only when gaming. So I don't expect the noise to be too bad. But I'll be on the lookout for the fanless model when it is released and probably grab one of those too. Also curious about the MSI fanless Bay Trail J1800i discussed this week. Wonder when that'll hit the market? $60?! Oh yeah! $70 for the quad! I'm in.

As for other platforms, I tried the raspberry pi, but it won't surf worth a damn, and the xbmc experience isn't quite as zippy in the menus as I have gotten used to on my i5 laptop.
I also tried the Ouya and HATE the limited ecosystem. About to send it back or sell it. Not cool.

Tried the Minix X7 and it was still too early at the time so sold it to a buddy. He loves it though. But for me, I demand the speed and user experience I'm used to on Win7.

Sadly I see this has "Limited Win 7 support"!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!? Come on Intel. Don't do that to us. Get those drivers posted please.
I'm hoping its just a temporary limitation because of development time and NOT their plan permanently. If so, that's cheesy and not professional. Not how I think Intel should act.

Anyway, It'll take a week to arrive and I'll share my experiences once I have Win8.1 loaded (what alternative do I have. Jeesh), but I really hope to be able to surf like a baddass and have a great XBMC experience for basically $230 delivered. That's worth it to me. (Already had an old 60gb SSD).

Thanks guys. More to come.
Rational
I finally received my unit a few days ago. I'm running windows 8.1 + XBMC and..it looks like everything runs fine.

This unit was my first UEFI BIOS. I had a few problems first.

I first tried to install windows 7, but no luck at all. Here is what I tried and failed

1. Legacy Mode + Windows 7 with USB - I could not even see the setup screen. It kept rebooting.
2. UEFI Mode + Windows 7 with USB - I got up to "Staring setup" then it froze.
3. Legacy Mode + Windows 8 with USB - No luck.
4. UEFI Mode + Windows 8 with USB - Finally....it works.

In case anyone is having the same problem, try

http://rufus.akeo.ie/ (create UEFI bootable USB)

If your windows iso is not UEFI bootable, try http://www.eightforums.com/attachments/i...sd-iso.zip to create UEFI bootable ISO.

Conclusion: NO WINDOWS 7 AT ALL FOR ME.
It must be possible to install Windows 7 on a DN2820FYKH - check this: https://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/configu...h-model-a/
If you scroll down in that ad, it says Windows 8.1.

But I do agree, it is kind of a dick move by Intel not to support Win7 on this device. Ultimately I think it will cost them in unit sales, because a lot of people don't want Win8.

However - for XBMC you just need Openelec.
I think the problem here is that all the ports are USB 3.0 when i tried to install Windows 7 on my HTPC via a flash drive it wouldn't get any further than the setup screen, however after Googling i found that Windows 7 installs don't play nice with USB 3.0 switched it to one of the USB 2.0 ports and installed with no problems.
Lounge

Alienware X51 r2
OS - Windows 10, Kodi Krypton
TV - LG 47LM670T
AVR - Denon AVR-X2300W

Master Bedroom

Nvidia Shield Android TV
OS - Android TV, Kodi Jarvis 16.0
TV - Samsung 32ES6710

Server

HP Proliant Microserver N40L
OS - Unraid 6
For those of you running windows on the Bay Trail Nuc how is the interface? Is it snappy or sluggish?

I am trying to reduce the size of the pc in my living room but I need something that will be able to record three or so hd streams from my hdhomerun simultaneously while I am watching something else. The content would of course be later uploaded to my server for storage. My current machine is getting a bit old but I dont want to spend on the i3 version for what I need a new machine to do unless I absolutely have to.

Let me know how it performs. Thanks.
(2014-01-26, 17:35)J7AYU Wrote: I think the problem here is that all the ports are USB 3.0 when i tried to install Windows 7 on my HTPC via a flash drive it wouldn't get any further than the setup screen, however after Googling i found that Windows 7 installs don't play nice with USB 3.0 switched it to one of the USB 2.0 ports and installed with no problems.

Glad to hear Windows 7 works. Does the OS basically work out of the box or at least after a Windows Update? ie. ethernet, audio, graphics drivers, etc.
Any EXACT INFO about 23.976?
Hey guys.

This Bay Trail stuff prob wont come to Norway any time soon, so I can't wait for that stuff...

Anyhow I was thinking about an DCCP847DYE for my first HTPC-project. I guess my question is: Will it do the job, or should I spend the extra $140 to get the i3 build?
My usage is mkv's, and I do want perfect 1080p playback, but no need for any 3D stuff. And what about this hi10p-issue, whats that all about? And does the Celeron got it?

Ok, thanks in advance! Smile

Edit: Btw I'm planning to run Openelec.. Smile
According to this site: https://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/configu...h-model-a/ the drivers for Windows 7 will be ready in March!
(2014-01-27, 10:25)pszab Wrote: Any EXACT INFO about 23.976?

I asked here. No-one is answering.

https://communities.intel.com/community/...ment-13037

(2014-01-26, 22:33)boukmandutty Wrote: For those of you running windows on the Bay Trail Nuc how is the interface? Is it snappy or sluggish?

I am trying to reduce the size of the pc in my living room but I need something that will be able to record three or so hd streams from my hdhomerun simultaneously while I am watching something else. The content would of course be later uploaded to my server for storage. My current machine is getting a bit old but I dont want to spend on the i3 version for what I need a new machine to do unless I absolutely have to.

Let me know how it performs. Thanks.

I just installed Windows 8 on my Baytrail kit with a 512GB SSD and 8 Gigs of ram.
It is fast very fast I am happy with the kit as just a player or a downloader.

It sounds like you want should spend some money and get a one baytrail for encoding and a second for playback.
I have no issues running 720 (60% CPU load on both cores with windows 8). I will test the 1080 later.
it would be great if we could put somewhere what this unit can and cannot do (on the wiki page maybe?) and update the info when new firmware or drivers are released. When i read the thread about the Haswell Nuc with 200 pages, it is very difficult to have a real summary of what is working, what is not working and what will be corrected in the future. Which audio passthrough is supported? Video features?

So maybe we can take this quickly with this unit before it get too messy to summarize?

The kind of info that i would really like to see are:

Audio Decoders
- what format this unit can decode without flaws

Audio Passthrough
- DTS Audio
- DTS Master Audio (DTS-MA)
- DTS Master Audio Hi-Res (DTS-HD HR)
- Dolby Digital Plus
- Dolby True HD (THD)
- LPCM

Video decoders
- 1080p