Release introducing Simerec PCS-MCE!! new for 2014!
(2014-02-27, 01:50)verismo Wrote: can the accessory be used to turn on the tv?

You could wire it to a relay to turn on your TV.

(2014-02-27, 00:19)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I wonder if it has power via USB if the +5VSB soldering job is necessary. I know that's the last thing I'd want a customer doing. They mess that up and "oh, it's defective" and you're out $50.

What about if you offered an option on your kits for it to be not only prebuilt but offer a pre-soldered fly lead on the pico's for the simerec to attach to?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-02-26, 21:59)jammyb Wrote:
(2014-02-26, 21:52)nooryani84 Wrote: What are the benefits of using this over Flirc?

Well for starters it's INTERNAL. There's no setup required or keys to pair. But there is the option to do so should you wish. It's RC6 compatible and therefore XBMC will work "out of the box" with your MCE remote, RC6 compatible remote or universal remote programmed as MCE.

sure, it can't learn remotes. But can flirc power up my HTPC from powered down?

Smile

But all that is mentioned in my OP. Surely you could of drawn your own comparisons Wink

Once my remotes configured with Flirc i can connect it at the back of any device and i'm good to go. So it's as visible as a usb plug behind your pc.

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/5...ur-remote/

I was only wondering if I had missed something from the OP, sorry if I asked unnecessarily.
It remind me of these remote control power outlets- "Remote Controlled Switch Socket 2-Pack, AC 220V-240V 500W Wireless IR Remote Control Power Socket Adapter US Plug, etc".....since it is IR, you can turn it ON/OFF with your favorite Logitech Harmony too...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-02-27, 14:12)nooryani84 Wrote:
(2014-02-26, 21:59)jammyb Wrote:
(2014-02-26, 21:52)nooryani84 Wrote: What are the benefits of using this over Flirc?

Well for starters it's INTERNAL. There's no setup required or keys to pair. But there is the option to do so should you wish. It's RC6 compatible and therefore XBMC will work "out of the box" with your MCE remote, RC6 compatible remote or universal remote programmed as MCE.

sure, it can't learn remotes. But can flirc power up my HTPC from powered down?

Smile

But all that is mentioned in my OP. Surely you could of drawn your own comparisons Wink

Once my remotes configured with Flirc i can connect it at the back of any device and i'm good to go. So it's as visible as a usb plug behind your pc.

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/5...ur-remote/

I was only wondering if I had missed something from the OP, sorry if I asked unnecessarily.

No it's fine!

I've found putting IR dongles on the back of devices can be very hit and miss with getting commands. It's emphasis is to be internal. The link you posted mentions sleep/wake. That isn't what this device does. It can be programmed for sleep/wake but the core function of this device is to completely switch off and to completely turn on.

How many of us have had sleep/wake issues causing networking problems, HDMI handshaking issues and incorrect screen resolutions? By completely powering down, we skip all that crap. Sure. We have to wait a few more seconds. But we're saving energy too off our electricity bills. So it's all mainly positives!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

By completely powering down I skip all my recordings too Smile
(2014-02-27, 18:04)Dougie Fresh Wrote: By completely powering down I skip all my recordings too Smile

Well that wasn't implied Tongue

I have a separate box for that called a server.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-02-27, 20:05)jammyb Wrote: I have a separate box for that called a server.

I wish it were that simple here with encrypted cable TV recording but it's not unfortunately.
(2014-02-28, 02:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2014-02-27, 20:05)jammyb Wrote: I have a separate box for that called a server.

I wish it were that simple here with encrypted cable TV recording but it's not unfortunately.
Are you recording TV shows on cable TV using HTPC? For me, the shows are set to record by Directv DVR internal hard drive and then I can streams the recorded shows on any HTPC using their Directv2pc. I tried COX cable, Dish Network and Directv, and Directv gives me the best recording option, PQ, AQ, etc...
Yes, I have Comcast and a SD HDHR3-CC CableCard tuner so unfortunately there's only one choice for Copy-Once recordings. A centrailized server / recording farm with clients would be great except for the Copy-Once problem combined with the lack of decent extenders (which also won't run XBMC). So the clients run WMC to take care of live TV and recording duties. C'est la vie.
Ahh. I'm only doing freeview [UK] just messing around with it at the mo. SB and SAB take care of the rest.

If it was to only sleep. I'd stick with a USB dongle over this as it's meant for powering down.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Looks pretty good but I don't like that you have to drill a hole into the NUC case.
(2014-02-28, 10:27)zxz0O0 Wrote: Looks pretty good but I don't like that you have to drill a hole into the NUC case.

with the light dim sticker JB put over the hole - it just looks like any normal IR sensor.

Can't wait to see your new projects JB Smile
I do not leave my HTPC and most of my components ON other than DIRECTV, router and some components that have to stay ON. Since I have gazillion of electronics in the house, I'm trying to do whatever I can to save energy. The stuffs that I need to turn OFF, I connects it to one of these- 1,2,3,5 Pack Wireless Remote Control Light Switch Outlet Plug Socket W/ Remote. It is very cheap and easy to use device.....
(2014-02-28, 13:21)slim75 Wrote:
(2014-02-28, 10:27)zxz0O0 Wrote: Looks pretty good but I don't like that you have to drill a hole into the NUC case.

with the light dim sticker JB put over the hole - it just looks like any normal IR sensor.

It does look good. I've taken to doing this mod on the mini-ITX cases I offer. Drilling through 3mm aluminum is like butter. I've got a step bit now too that'll leave a little countersink to deburr the edges. Then a little paint around the exposed aluminum using a paint pen and a lightdim over it and it looks great. The hardest part is getting the lightdim sticker off the backing without ruining it. It's such an easy mod. There are silver ones too and I just got some to try. They don't seem very transparent though.
They crease so easy those light dims but are definitely worth it! Like the black pen idea Dougie, good shout!

(2014-02-28, 13:21)slim75 Wrote:

Yeah, you might recognise the case it's going into. Wink

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
introducing Simerec PCS-MCE!! new for 2014!1