Clone/mirror install between different PC's
Hi,
I've searched both the forum and the wiki on how to miror or clone a setup from one PC to another but have not found anything about the topic. Can't imagine I'm the first to think about this?

I guess I can use the XBMC Backup addon, but that only backup settings and GUI right? All addons I have to manually install or? What about sources?

I'm using a network library using MySQL database, can that complicate things?

Mainly interested in moving/cloning installs between 2-3 PC's in my network. Guess I have to manually setup another build on iOS.

Is it possible? What directories need to be copied etc?
I maintain three XBMC machines that connect to a NAS for media and a MySQL DB for shared library.

I run XBMCBuntu - same version OS on all. I install manually using the same steps. I configure the NAS mount via NFS at the OS level as /mnt/nas1 so that every client sees the NAS folder tree the same way. Minimal configuration install of XBMC except that I install the AEON NOX skin on each machine. I also apt-get to upgrade everything on the machine.

*Then* I tarball the ~/.xbmc folder from the most recently install machine and apply that to the same folder for the machine that was just built (i.e. roll-forward the latest running to newest built). This can be quite large, depending upon the amount of art you have accumulated. Then restart the new machine. It should come up fully configured like the others.

I do NOT share the local art or other ~/ home folder items over network/NAS, which you can do if you want to work a bit more. Not everyone on this forum finds satisfaction doing that...

I have NOT yet taken on the upgrade from Frodo to Gotham where the MySQL database and some XBMC would change. To upgrade, I presume that I'd need to shut off all but one XBMC, perform the upgrade to completion, then start upgrading the other others. I would expect that the second and third machines will become aware that the database is already upgraded and would just make whatever local lib/code/config changes are necessary to catch up. *Assume*
@surfinbox
Forgot; I'm on Win7 so I guess when you tarball the xbmc folder it should be copying the %APPDATA%/xbmc/userdata on a win machine and paste this folder on the other machines? The apt-get I did'nt catch at all (don't recall a similar win/dos function).

I'm also still on Frodo, nice tip to have in mind regarding the MySQL db when upgrading.
apt-get is a reference to the linux process of updating software for OS and applications - Windows Update would be likely comparison.

Can't help you on the XBMC user folder, nor can I totally vouch for the Windows experience if you manage this way. However, my belief is that it will still work the same if you get the folder right.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clone/mirror install between different PC's0