Win Advice on HTPC setup
Hi All

I currently have a pi running raspbmc and for the most part it has been a real joy to use.
Recently I started ripping my blue rays and trying to play them on the pi. It just doesn't want to work smoothly.

So this led me on to something I have been thinking about recently, I want to build an HTPC that will allow me to run xbmc and some other activities.

The long term plan is the HTPC will need to;

Run windows (8.1)
Run XBMC
A media server capable of transcoding to my pi (going into bedroom)
Some light photo editing (stipulation from 'the boss')
Windows 8 Netfilx App
Shared storage via a raid 1 HDD config
Also some gaming

I am no hardcore gamer, I just like playing stuff like COD, war thunder and Grid every now and then.

Spec list;

Fractal Design Node 605 HTPC case.
1 unopened WD Red 2tb
2 WD Black 500gb (currently in my Netgear Stora)

That's it so far! I love the look of that case and it will sit well next to my AV receiver.

I have a PC that I built about 5 years ago sat around doing nothing.

Not sure what the mobocracy but from what I can recall it is an amd duel core with 2gb memory.

I have thought about going ahead and buying the case and setting it up with the old components to see what it can do whilst saving some cash up for components to meet the above spec.

So, once funds allow I was looking at an AMD apu type setup to get the majority of things running and then add a discrete gpx when funds allow to get enough of a boost for some decentish gaming.

Does that sound like a good plan!

Anyone have any thoughts on the AMD apu plan?

I'm still quite open minded right now so will listen to all thoughts (apart from a different case, that is the one I want)

Thanks in advance

Simon

Also, I want to use Steam for the gaming side.

Cheers

Simon
I've been offered a Gigabyte GA-H61N-D2V for £10 and I'm wondering whether that plus an i3 ivy bridge and gpu (for HDMI out) would be better than a newer AMD quad core apu setup.

The AMD setup can be bought quite reasonably and the mobo's have sata III and built in HDMI.

I just don't know whether the slightly older ivy bridge setup would out perform the newer amd rig.

Can anyone help?

I guess the AMD rig would be a little more future proof and I could add a gpu down the line if I really get into the gaming side.....

Cheers

Simon
Have a look at the links in my signature below.
DEBUG log: http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy
HTPC advice: http://mymediaexperience.com , http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to-bui...lete-guide
My HTPC: an Acer Revo RL80 Nettop PC:
Windows 10
Intel Core-i3-2377M @ 1.5GHz, 4GB DDR3 @ 665MHz, Intel HD3000
465GB SATA disk, DVD-RW, 1.8TB Seagate USB disk

Thanks for that. The mymediaexperiance site is great.

I guess the AMD vs Intel thing is ultimately a personal choice.

I'm gonna get the node 605 case and keep an eye for bargains on the rest.

Cheers

Simon

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice on HTPC setup0