• 10(current)
Solved XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos
(2014-03-29, 06:52)jmarshall Wrote: ....
I believe Linux *may* already be fixed once B3 is up (next day or so) - the nightly above has the fix, but it may depend somewhat on the version of openssl in use.

(2014-03-29, 09:14)jmarshall Wrote: Is Linux using the appropriate openssl version? i.e. are the repositories actually fetched, or do they remain empty (with just the crash being fixed) ?

(2014-03-29, 08:24)wsnipex Wrote: Linux should already be fixed in the nightly PPA. Upcoming Beta3 will have it too.

Excellent job! Looks like is working great!
I installed the Linux nightly & it took care of it - now fetches new (populated!) repos and of course no longer crashes!
I was able to fetch and install a new add-on that I could not previously retrieve without crashing
(with same with same repo, I could get around the crash by trying the roll-back of the gnutls suggested by rmathew in post 132 above - however after retrieving the repo, although would not crash, it would be empty.
but now, all works as should with the newly released team-xbmc fix - get the repo, no crash, get add-on and install - no problems!)
How do I install the Linux nightly? Baby steps please! Thanks in advance!
(2014-03-29, 18:42)NUC-HTPC Wrote: How do I install the Linux nightly? Baby steps please! Thanks in advance!

Note that this will be Gotham build.

go to the wiki - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._for_Linux

add the nightly repo, update & install
replace the released repo in the code with the nightly:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Here's a pretty useful application for managing ppa's in Ubuntu or Mint
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/11/y-ppa-man...t-for.html

Make it easy if you want to subsequently remove the nightly ppa, if you want to revert to stable (released) or unstable (beta) going forward
(if you want the beta 3 release when it comes out, you will have to remove the nightly, otherwise if you do 'update' then 'install' it will get the latest nightly, as opposed to the beta)
Or this program also gives you the ability to update just an individual ppa rather than everything
So again, if you just update the unstable ppa, then install, you will get the latest beta (as long as you did not update the nightly)
Of course you then do not use apt-get update in terminal!

disclaimer - have no personal affiliation with this application or devloper
Appears to have fixed mine as well! Ubuntu 13.10. Thanks team-xbmc! And thanks again DEcosse for the "linux for dummies" tip!
You don't need the nightly, gotham beta3 from the unstable ppa is fixed as well.
Sorry- did not realize beta3 was released - it isn't in announcements or on .org blog page but do see it referenced (now!) on the downloads page

To switch back from nightly to beta 3

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin

(or use the y-ppa-manager I suggested in post 138 to remove the nightly ppa and add/update the unstable - then just the two remove xbmc /install xbmc lines in code above)
Awesome! Thx so much!
I've tried all the options mentioned up above. I'm running Ubuntu 13.04. XBMC still continues to crash seconds after start up. Some how I got it running for about an hour when I installed the nightly version the other day. I went as far as setting it up, fusion, mashup and so forth but after I restart my computer and booted XBMC, it went back to the same state. I don't know what's going on with it. I've tried everything. Any helpful suggestions from you all would be appreciated.

Ubuntu 13.04 hasn't had an update in months so I know it isn't anything with my system. One day I just opened XBMC and a second after the screen appeared, it crashes. All the older XBMC builds in my synaptic package manager say the package is broken. The 3.12 builds are the only ones that install, and when they do, they just open and crash.
1.) ubuntu 13.04 is officially end of live since several months, there are no updates to it whatsoever. Unless you compile xbmc by hand, you cannot have a fixed version. Upgrade your ubuntu
2.) you'll get no support with the fusion stuff installed
(2014-03-23, 18:56)Sharp Wrote:
(2014-03-23, 00:01)Smuluc Wrote: Wrote a pathetic ass-halfed python script to fix my addons on Ubuntu. The script opens every addon, and replaces all incorrect GitHub url's with the correct one.

Please make sure your ~/.xbmc folder is backed up first!

WARNING:
USE AT OWN RISK! Only spent a few minutes writing this script, so I high recommend looking through the code to make sure it won't screw you. No error handling and not very safe. But it worked for me. Tongue

Script:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=155557

I can also confirm that this works. Seriously bro, I appreciate your work.
I'll keep people updated if this method starts to fail.

For anyone curious, just copy his code into a document and save it as 'XBMCFix.py' on your Desktop.
Then after backing up your addons folder, type in terminal the following commands:
  1. cd Desktop
  2. python XBMCFix.py
If all goes well, your XBMC should work as it did before this all happened.
Otherwise, restore from your backup.
Thanks for this It fixed my XBMC
(2014-03-31, 08:54)wsnipex Wrote: 1.) ubuntu 13.04 is officially end of live since several months, there are no updates to it whatsoever. Unless you compile xbmc by hand, you cannot have a fixed version. Upgrade your ubuntu
2.) you'll get no support with the fusion stuff installed

I figured I would have to upgrade to 13.10 to receive any updates. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to go that route. I upgraded to 13.10 months ago to find the version was very unstable. I guess the bugs should be worked out now. Anyway, I'll upgrade and see what comes of it. Thanks XBMC team.
@LiveWire83

You may want to try 14.04 LTS since its at Beta 2 already.
It will probably be released in April.

Your 13.10 will be "old" next month Smile
Not sure what is the status of xbmc ppas for 14.04.
Worth checking before installing new system.
Nightlies + beta have a ppa for trusty, not sure about stable... Haven't used that one in a while :p
(2014-03-23, 00:01)Smuluc Wrote: Wrote a pathetic ass-halfed python script to fix my addons on Ubuntu. The script opens every addon, and replaces all incorrect GitHub url's with the correct one.

Please make sure your ~/.xbmc folder is backed up first!

WARNING:
USE AT OWN RISK! Only spent a few minutes writing this script, so I high recommend looking through the code to make sure it won't screw you. No error handling and not very safe. But it worked for me. Tongue

Script:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=155557

worked a treat mate, thanks
Sharp Wrote:Thanks for this It fixed my XBMC

glynnd Wrote:worked a treat mate, thanks

No need to use the script - there is an official xbmc fix ..........
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos1