• 8(current)
Solved XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos
My ubuntu 13.10 system auto-boots to xbmc on startup. I've decided i'm just going to unplug my ethernet cable prior to startup, and plug it in once my computer is on, until this gets fixed. So far, this has worked for me - no unexpected crashes mid-stream.

Questions for the experts:

1) If i'm understanding correctly, either github OR individual repo owners have to update their repos to process github correctly, right? Is there anything I can do on my end, as a user of the offending repos, to fix the issue (not a workaround, not removing a repo - a fix)? If so, how would a Linux noob do so?

2) Also, once this gets resolved, will I have to manually update anything? Or will it just work again? That's the part I'm really confused about.

Thx!
Read the five last posts.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I spoke too soon. Watching a video, slowly gets choppy. Video stops, audio keeps playing for a little bit, then whole system hangs.

I did an awful lot of mucking around when the issue first started, before I found this thread though. So hopefully I didn't break anything while trying to fix this before.
(2014-03-22, 02:51)crzen Wrote: Heh, and if it crashes within 2 seconds you dont have enough time to turn debugging on.
You have to manually move the "repository." folders to another folder. Then it will start and your able to turn debugging on. Next, put the folders back. Restart XBMC, let it crash, and get the log

If you unplug the network cable from your xbmc box it will start no problem.
(2014-03-23, 00:01)Smuluc Wrote: Wrote a pathetic ass-halfed python script to fix my addons on Ubuntu. The script opens every addon, and replaces all incorrect GitHub url's with the correct one.

Please make sure your ~/.xbmc folder is backed up first!

WARNING:
USE AT OWN RISK! Only spent a few minutes writing this script, so I high recommend looking through the code to make sure it won't screw you. No error handling and not very safe. But it worked for me. Tongue

Script:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=155557

Thanks for the ass-halfed script :-D, will use it right away!
If someone is curious openelec is not crashing with github repos so if you wish you can also dualboot OpenElec RoflRofl
OE workarounds it: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...41b3fe77a0
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-03-23, 00:01)Smuluc Wrote: Wrote a pathetic ass-halfed python script to fix my addons on Ubuntu. The script opens every addon, and replaces all incorrect GitHub url's with the correct one.

WARNING:
USE AT OWN RISK! Only spent a few minutes writing this script, so I high recommend looking through the code to make sure it won't screw you. No error handling and not very safe. But it worked for me. Tongue

Script:

I can also confirm that this works. Seriously bro, I appreciate your work.
I'll keep people updated if this method starts to fail.

For anyone curious, just copy his code into a document and save it as 'XBMCFix.py' on your Desktop.
Then after backing up your addons folder, type in terminal the following commands:
  1. cd Desktop
  2. python XBMCFix.py
If all goes well, your XBMC should work as it did before this all happened.
Otherwise, restore from your backup.

WARNING:

Script:

Thanks Smuluc, this sorted the problem out for me
(2014-03-23, 00:01)Smuluc Wrote: The script opens every addon, and replaces all incorrect GitHub url's with the correct one.

(2014-03-23, 18:56)Sharp Wrote: ...

Well not quite (if I have this right) - it WILL prevent the immediate crash on starting but will not actually GET the content unless the repository owners changes their own content to move the RAW files
And if you 'get from zip file' it will immediately crash; or if you try to update an existing repo, it simply won't get it.
So it really doesn't do anything more than simply moving the repos out to a temporary folder does.
Great explanation! Thx!

Back to one of my original questions - once the repo owners and/or github update appropriately, will I have to do anything on my end, as a user?
(2014-03-24, 01:37)DEcosse Wrote:
(2014-03-23, 00:01)Smuluc Wrote: The script opens every addon, and replaces all incorrect GitHub url's with the correct one.

(2014-03-23, 18:56)Sharp Wrote: ...

Well not quite (if I have this right) - it WILL prevent the immediate crash on starting but will not actually GET the content unless the repository owners changes their own content to move the RAW files
And if you 'get from zip file' it will immediately crash; or if you try to update an existing repo, it simply won't get it.
So it really doesn't do anything more than simply moving the repos out to a temporary folder does.

Nope, it really did fix the repositories for me. I can use and download from them.
(2014-03-24, 21:57)Sharp Wrote: Nope, it really did fix the repositories for me. I can use and download from them.
The repository still contains the relevant data from before until you try to refresh it or update it
Please try 'force refresh' from one of your repositories in XBMC and see what happens;
and also try to get a new repository and see what happens .......
(2014-03-24, 22:37)DEcosse Wrote:
(2014-03-24, 21:57)Sharp Wrote: Nope, it really did fix the repositories for me. I can use and download from them.
The repository still contains the relevant data from before until you try to refresh it or update it
Please try 'force refresh' from one of your repositories in XBMC and see what happens;
and also try to get a new repository and see what happens .......

Yeah new repositories are still broke, but applying the script fixes them up.
What I was trying to say is that once the repo is fixed, I can use XBMC no problem.
New repositories obviously won't work as the links haven't been fixed. but like I said, the script still helps.

As for Force Refresh, this doesn't cause any issues on my end,
(2014-03-24, 22:47)Sharp Wrote: As for Force Refresh, this doesn't cause any issues on my end,
It doesn't cause any issues because it is not actually refreshing

As I suggest, I really don't think this is doing any more than it would if you just move the repositories out of the folder*
For currently installed add-ons it will not change anything, nor will it update repositories

*However if you wish to add additional add-ons from a repository you currently have installed, then it will indeed provide that capability because it won't crash with the repositories in the add-ons folder and of course retains that repository in the correct location.

But that is not exactly:
Quote:XBMC should work as it did before this all happened.

i.e. yes the configuration you currently have will work; (just as it will if you move out the repositories to a remote folder)
But try to update the repository - or get a new one - and it will not, unless the repository owner changes things at their end
Or if GitHub re-enables the original access, then they will no longer update either.

Here's an example (no connotations toward the specific references mentioned - just using as examples - note that these are not xbmc.org approved third-party add-ons) :
Restored the back-up repositories (copies) to the addons folder
run the script
Open XBMC
from xbmc explore the repositories
open superrepo repository
install dixie deans repo from there
that repo installs but is empty
Try 'force-refresh on repo
XBMC crashes
Re-run script
Open xbmc - opens successfully, no crashing
'get addons' - DixieDeans repo is no longer in list (the repo is still phsyically in the addons folder if I look there)
Look in the superrepo list, it is there but not enabled
Try to re-enable, same results as above
I had the same problem for a couple of days now, the crashlogs kept piling up and contained no usable info, so i disabled all addons and moved them back in groups (by addon type) until i saw that the xbmc-adult repository was the culprit.

Disabled it for now, but thanks to Smuluc's script i know how to fix it and keep the repo.

Thanks Smuluc!
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing on startup caused by github repos1