upgrade questions
Hi,

I am a linux neophyte.

I currently have my libraries set to
ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly

My question is, when should this be changed.
At the moment it is giving me the lasted gotham bug fixes (but version was 14 not 13)
But I do not want to go to the next release alpha, how do I avoid this.

Also
What is ppa:team-xbmc/unstable ? should this ever be used by a normal user?

Thanks
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._for_Linux

Unstable is the channel for beta/rc, so when final is released then you can change the sources accordingly, see this article:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM..._final_PPA
Thanks for the info.

I am still a little confused.
How do you know when the change from nightly to team-xbmc?

What is the difference between nightly and unstable, as nightly has been giving me the alpha/beta updates.
Unstable is just the channel for betas and RCs - these are generally feature complete and what remains is bug testing. I'm GUESSING betas are generally considered fairly stable though they most likely contain bugs that are "unknown". The beta serves as a development release that doesn't receive any changes to its code, so that all testing occurs in a controlled environment since the user base will generally be testing the same version and not different nightlies. This makes it much easier to uncover and fix bugs that may be present. So a beta is pretty much a frozen nightly I suppose.

The RC is basically the same as the stable/final version unless any significant bugs should be discovered. A new RC is usually released if the preceding RC presents any new issues that stop it from being released as the final version. So in order to release this new RC, they will patch the software and resolve any outstanding issues. After they release RC2 they will wait and see if any new issues arise. If all is fine and no new bugs occur, then they'll repackage the RC2 as the stable release.

This is just my best guess so someone correct me if I'm wrong Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
upgrade questions0