Hardware recommendations
Hi all-

I've recently moved and am looking to upgrade my set-up. Currently, I have a single HTPC with 5TB (2 Seagate HDDs) of movies/tv shows in the family room that handles XBMC, CouchPotato, SickBeard, SABnzbd & Plex Media Server. In the new house, I have CAT5e that runs into a structured wiring cabinet in the basement. This is where my cable modem and router are set up for distribution. I'd like to set up a media server there to handle the streaming of movies/tv shows to other rooms in the house (family room, movie room, and bedroom) and also handle my CouchPotato, SickBeard, SABnzbd & Plex Media Server. I don't currently have any 3D content, but am looking at starting to (based on availability).

What I need help with is how beefy of a processor do I need for the media server, and at each location in the house? Currently, the HTPC in the family room has an i3, but I don't think that will be enough. I've looked at some AMD's (mainly for price reasons), but don't know if it's has the umph to do 3D without getting a separate video card (and based on their TDP's, that's a lot of wattage vs. Intel).

Once I do get into 3D, will the media server handle all the transcoding? Or will I need something to assist in the other rooms? And most importantly, what do you guys recommend?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware recommendations0