Linux Disable upmixing of stereo to full channel layout not possible?
Hi all,

Just switched over from Windows & MediaPortal to XBMC 12.3 Frodo (XBMCbuntu boot-USB drive) and I'm impressed of the out-of-the-box experience! Keep up developing this great platform guys!

However I do have one issue with playing MP3 music which I don't want to upmix to 5.1 output, as an audiophile-guy I like 2 channel music (sorry Blush) I've connected the PC via S/PDIF (optical) to my receiver and disabled the 'Stereo upmix' option in the Audio settings. But when I play MP3 files, the output is still upmixed to all channels. Other media is playing perfectly like DTS, AC3 etc.

Why is my 2-channel audio still upmixed and how can I solve this? Maybe it is a bug which is fixed in XBMC v13 (Gotham)?

Thanks for your help, it’s highly appreciated!

Jeroen
Never knew that SPDIF upmix (which only has 2 real channels so needs AC3 encode and output) in 12.3 worked at all :-) Congratulations.

Yeah - try gotham. You can use xmbcbuntu v13 iso.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thx fritsch for your reply! I've just tried gotham, but unfortunately is the 'Stereo upmix' button doing nothing for me. Whenever I enable or disable it, still the audio is upmixed Sad

Would this be the only minor issue I need to switch back to Mediaportal?
You don't need to switch anywhere, you need to read "Read that before posting" thread.

Debug Log is required.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Are you sure it's not your AVR that is doing the upmixing?
I think he runs pulseaudio and has set his speaker profile to 5.1 - then pulseaudio automatically upmixes anything to match that layout. But as he refues to post any logfiles - I ignored that thread.
(2014-04-28, 08:32)fritsch Wrote: I think he runs pulseaudio and has set his speaker profile to 5.1 - then pulseaudio automatically upmixes anything to match that layout. But as he refues to post any logfiles - I ignored that thread.

I have this very "problem". Is there any way to disable upmixing without changing the speaker layout? I know this is probably the wrong place to ask, but Google brought me here.
Check our pulseaudio wiki entry. I documented it here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Disable upmixing of stereo to full channel layout not possible?0