Linux crash after few seconds when music & fullscreen
i've been listening for the last 1 1/2 hours with openelec 3.2.4 - no crash. this also means that it shouldn't be an issue of the plugin itself right?

as a next step i will try the different beta versions of openelec 4.0 --> maybe i can find the release where the issue was introduced.

Edit: crash already happens in beta 1 :/ will now try older nightly builds
(2014-05-09, 17:49)blubserl Wrote: i've been listening for the last 1 1/2 hours with openelec 3.2.4 - no crash. this also means that it shouldn't be an issue of the plugin itself right?
No, the plugin isn't supposed to directly cause any harm, it's just python code which by itself runs in it's isolated sandbox. Also, for Frodo (OE3.2) the plugin is essentially the same as for Gotham (OE4). Something gets triggered inside XBMC which causes the failure, but without being able to reproduce with a full debug build with all symbols etc. and then examining the backtrace won't tell us how and/or where.

Did you also try running that setup on another box? For the LCD to work, just let that system run but have the SSH server activated. Then on the other box, SSH to your LCD system and set up a local port forward to TCP port 13666 (like "ssh -L13666:localhost:13666 <lcdbox>") so you have your remotely running LCDd available on the local system without reconfiguring the LCD host. After that, install script.xbmc.lcdproc and try to reproduce the problem.

nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
Leia+VAAPI+HD-Audio+LCDproc addon,TVHeadend-master/DVB-C/T2+pvr.tvh addon on Ubuntu 18.04 (amd64)
have not tried to remote ssh yet, but here's an update:

well - that was quite a time travel - but the crash also happens in the very first xmbc gotham alpha versions used in openelec (from mid october 2013).

but i observed something else: it makes a huge difference if the vfd refresh rate is set to 20 or 1 if set to 20, the crash occurs within seconds, if set to 1 it takes at least minutes (atm i'm not sure if it crashes at all if set to 1). does that make any sense at all? i always had it set to 20 in frodo without a problem, but i will leave it set to 1 the next few days and see if it still crashes.

edit: well, also crashes if refresh rate is set to 1, but it takes longer to do so. i will now try the ssh setup...
(2014-05-11, 17:45)blubserl Wrote: but i observed something else: it makes a huge difference if the vfd refresh rate is set to 20 or 1 if set to 20, the crash occurs within seconds, if set to 1 it takes at least minutes (atm i'm not sure if it crashes at all if set to 1). does that make any sense at all? i always had it set to 20 in frodo without a problem, but i will leave it set to 1 the next few days and see if it still crashes.
Yep, that makes sense, because when going from 1 to 20, you increase the number of InfoLabel retrievals (data acquisition from XBMC) by 20 Wink But be assured I also tested using 20Hz and let it run for over an hour, I then manually stopped it.
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
Leia+VAAPI+HD-Audio+LCDproc addon,TVHeadend-master/DVB-C/T2+pvr.tvh addon on Ubuntu 18.04 (amd64)
(2014-05-09, 21:13)herrnst Wrote: For the LCD to work, just let that system run but have the SSH server activated. Then on the other box, SSH to your LCD system and set up a local port forward to TCP port 13666 (like "ssh -L13666:localhost:13666 <lcdbox>") so you have your remotely running LCDd available on the local system without reconfiguring the LCD host. After that, install script.xbmc.lcdproc and try to reproduce the problem.

hmm...i tried that yesterday evening, but i think i did something wrong, or did not correctly understand the procedure. is the following correct?

1) Let the HTPC run Openelec with SSH server activated.
2) SSH from main Windows PC to the HTPC with putty and enter the command ssh -L13666:localhost:13666 <IP of the HTPC>
3) Boot Openelec on the Windows PC from USB Stick (HTPC is still running as well)
4) install the script and try to reproduce the problem --> VFD Display on HTPC should output Data from main Windows PC.
5) Openelec on Windows PC might crash or not.

atm i don't get any output on the HTPC Display --> should the lcdproc script be running on both systems? don't they interfere each other?

thanks and sorry if these questions are stupid Blush
(2014-05-12, 19:59)blubserl Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 21:13)herrnst Wrote: For the LCD to work, just let that system run but have the SSH server activated. Then on the other box, SSH to your LCD system and set up a local port forward to TCP port 13666 (like "ssh -L13666:localhost:13666 <lcdbox>") so you have your remotely running LCDd available on the local system without reconfiguring the LCD host. After that, install script.xbmc.lcdproc and try to reproduce the problem.

hmm...i tried that yesterday evening, but i think i did something wrong, or did not correctly understand the procedure. is the following correct?

1) Let the HTPC run Openelec with SSH server activated.
2) SSH from main Windows PC to the HTPC with putty and enter the command ssh -L13666:localhost:13666 <IP of the HTPC>
3) Boot Openelec on the Windows PC from USB Stick (HTPC is still running as well)
4) install the script and try to reproduce the problem --> VFD Display on HTPC should output Data from main Windows PC.
5) Openelec on Windows PC might crash or not.

No Wink Well, 1.) is correct, assuming the HTPC has the LCD inbuild.

Then (this depends on the scenario/OS to be tested) - the windows case:

2.) Use PuTTY to connect to the HTPC: On the connection window, just enter the IP of your HTPC. Then go to "Connection - SSH - Tunnels". In the bottom right area under "add forward", enter 13666 in the source port field, and "localhost:13666" in the destination field. Make sure the "Local" radio button is ticked. Click the "Add" button (don't forget that!) so the entered values appear in the list above the entry box. Optionally, go back to the "Session" page and save the connection, so it's easy to re-access this using just a mouse click Wink Then click connect, login and wait for the shell prompt to appear. Then just minimize the window, but don't close it until you're done with testing.

3.) Start a win32 build of XBMC, install script.xbmc.lcdproc (and configure it to connect to a locally running LCDd - defaults). Start it, then some XBMC messages should appear on the LCD in the HTPC.

4.) Test.

The Linux / OpenELEC case:

2.) This might be a bit tricky: After booting OpenELEC on the "non-HTPC", you locally need to drop to a shell (this is the tricky part - don't ask me how to do this on OpenELEC). Login locally, then type "ssh -L13666:localhost:13666 <HTPC-IP>". Enter the credentials of the HTPC. Leave it as it is and go back to OpenELEC's XBMC.

3.) Install script.xbmc.lcdproc, connect locally, startup, text should appear

4.) Test.

Alternate 1: On your windows box, open a command shell, then enter "telnet <HTPC-IP> 13666" and check if it works or if you get an error (note that AFAIK on Windows 8+ the telnet client isn't there anymore by default, but you can use PuTTY to test that, just switch from SSH to Telnet connection type in the session page). If this works, move on to "Alternate cont.".

Alternate 2, if manipulation of LCDd.conf is possible in OpenELEC: Open LCDd.conf (on normal linux systems, this is /etc/LCDd.conf) in an editor, find the line that says "Bind=127.0.0.1" and change it to "Bind=<network-ip>". Save and restart LCDd.

Alternate cont.: In script.xbmc.lcdproc, connect to remote LCDd, enter the IP address and start it. Then test.

Hope this helps,
nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
Thank you very much for the very detailed explanation - i think i got it this time Smile on thursday i will have time to try again and will post my results...
short update:

i can't reproduce the crash in the windows test case...

unfortunately i didn't have enough time for the openelec test yet - hopefully this weekend :/
i have no luck with the openelec setup. i tried all different aproaches, but can't get the vfd display on my htpc to show any output from the main pc.

i booted openelec on my main pc as well as on the htpc.

first i tried to setup openelec, so that i could enter the local shell:
- remounted /flash as rw to be able to edit extlinux.conf according to openelec forums by adding debugging to the boot parameters.
however, when i press alt-ctrl-f3 i see only the openelec boot message, but can't enter anything in the shell.

- then i connected to the main pc via a third one (notebook) via putty. and tried to run the commands like you posted. i got no error messages, but also no output at all on the vfd.

- then i edited the lcdd.conf on my main pc via putty and nano and entered the ip adress of the htpc instead of 127.0.0.1, rebooted and set up lcdproc script to the ip of the htpc --> no errors, but also no output on the vfd display.

i guess i'm stuck Confused
(2014-05-25, 21:01)blubserl Wrote: - then i edited the lcdd.conf on my main pc via putty and nano and entered the ip adress of the htpc instead of 127.0.0.1, rebooted and set up lcdproc script to the ip of the htpc --> no errors, but also no output on the vfd display.

Did you check if your LCDd.conf got overwritten by some automatism in OpenELEC?

Also, as a last resort, you can try this:
  • SSH to your HTPC which has the VFD built-in (you should be familar with this by now ;-) )
  • Exec

Code:
    ps aux | grep -i LCDd

You should see a line like "/usr/sbin/LCDd" followed by some command line options. For reference, the CLI options are described here. If you see -c, -a, -p and/or -d, take note of them.
  • Stop the process (either by killing the process id, or - preferred - by stopping the service. IIRC OpenELEC uses systemd, so "systemctl lcdd stop" should do the trick, while "lcdd" could be something else like different upper/lowercase though). Your VFD should go off or clear or whatever.
  • Copy your lcdd.conf to your storage volume and make the mentioned changes to that copy. BTW, instead of putting your HTPC's IP address after the Bind= option, put 0.0.0.0 there.
  • Enter the LCDd command line from above, but replace the path after "-c" (path to lcdd.conf) with the location on your storage volume. For example, if the cmdline was
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/LCDd -c /etc/LCDd.conf
    you now enter
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/LCDd -c /storage/LCDd.conf
    (or wherever you saved the copy of LCDd.conf). Important: If you find a "-a" option with an IP address, also replace the address _here_ with 0.0.0.0!

After hitting enter, something should pop up on your VFD. It should then finally be possible to connect to the LCDproc server from within your local network.

This should get you a bit further in checking if also other OpenELEC boxes show the crash problem. If not, I fear I'm not sure how to help you any further with this...

Best regards,
nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
sorry that i couldn't be of much help...
i couldn't get the redirection to work and gave up, since i thought i was the only user with this problem and didn't have enough time to play around with my htpc back then.

i just stumbled over your recent message in the official lcdproc support thread.

so if anyone opens this thread again --> this issue is closed. big thanks to herrnst, mkortstiege, fritsch & fernetmenta for fixing this and sorry for not reporting back earlier Blush.
(2014-11-25, 14:56)blubserl Wrote: so if anyone opens this thread again --> this issue is closed. big thanks to herrnst, mkortstiege & fritsch for fixing this and sorry for not reporting back earlier Blush.

Don't forget to credit FernetMenta for providing the final fix for this :-)

Regards,
nst
script.xbmc.lcdproc!
Thumbs Up 
(2014-11-26, 10:43)herrnst Wrote: Don't forget to credit FernetMenta for providing the final fix for this :-)
Regards,
nst

ah..missed that follow up commit - edited of course Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
crash after few seconds when music & fullscreen0