• 442(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-05-25, 22:40)tmarin Wrote: Hi Matt,

I'm trying to switch from standalone to dual boot on my Dell Chromebox. I'm following the instructions here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Resetting_to_Stock

I am able to open the Firmware Utility script and select option 7) Restore Stock Firmware

I do not have a firmware backup file, so I select my model Dell 3010, but then I get the following error:

Failure reading current firmware; cannot proceed.

What can I do from here?
What OS / version etc?
Hi

I'm running Kodi in standalone mode with the custom coreboot firmware. Is there a command I can run to turn off the system LED when it enters sleep mode?

My Asus ChromeBox CN60 does this automatically but my Dell ChromeBox 3010 does not. It may be because the Dell is running a later coreboot firmware though, not sure.

Sorry if this has been answered before but the forum won't let me search this thread for "led". Yes, I know I could use some black tape Big Grin
(2016-05-26, 23:24)MikeMcr Wrote: Hi

I'm running Kodi in standalone mode with the custom coreboot firmware. Is there a command I can run to turn off the system LED when it enters sleep mode?

My Asus ChromeBox CN60 does this automatically but my Dell ChromeBox 3010 does not. It may be because the Dell is running a later coreboot firmware though, not sure.

Sorry if this has been answered before but the forum won't let me search this thread for "led". Yes, I know I could use some black tape Big Grin

neither turns off the LED for sleep, but both should for suspend; that functionality isn't firmware version dependent. With the stock firmware, the Dell (and Acer) will actually flash/blink when suspended, but that's annoying AF so I killed that. I leave mine on 24/7 but the LEDs are a bit much so I bought some lightdims (and subsequently put them on pretty much all electronics in the house).

Are you seeing differing behavior with the two boxes running the same OS/version and with the same power settings?
(2016-05-26, 23:30)Matt Devo Wrote: neither turns off the LED for sleep, but both should for suspend; that functionality isn't firmware version dependent. With the stock firmware, the Dell (and Acer) will actually flash/blink when suspended, but that's annoying AF so I killed that. I leave mine on 24/7 but the LEDs are a bit much so I bought some lightdims (and subsequently put them on pretty much all electronics in the house).

Are you seeing differing behavior with the two boxes running the same OS/version and with the same power settings?
Sorry, I meant suspend (i.e. the mode you can quickly wake-up from). The shutdown option turns it off on both boxes.

Looking at my backup firmware file, I updated the coreboot firmware on the Asus in July 2015 and is running the Intel EGL build of OpenELEC.

On the Dell I updated it last week (new unit) so is fully up-to-date with coreboot and LibreELEC.

I agree that a flashing/blinking LED would be really annoying! Is it possible the change to kill the blinking also stopped it turning off completely in suspend mode? No big deal though, I can get some lightdims like you mentioned.
Question 
Hi Matt,

is it possible to execute some commands after resume from suspend? e.g. I want to "touch" my NAS HDD to spin it up just after waking up my Chromebox, so the HDD is ready when I start a movie...
(2016-05-26, 23:45)MikeMcr Wrote: Sorry, I meant suspend (i.e. the mode you can quickly wake-up from). The shutdown option turns it off on both boxes.

Looking at my backup firmware file, I updated the coreboot firmware on the Asus in July 2015 and is running the Intel EGL build of OpenELEC.

On the Dell I updated it last week (new unit) so is fully up-to-date with coreboot and LibreELEC.

I agree that a flashing/blinking LED would be really annoying! Is it possible the change to kill the blinking also stopped it turning off completely in suspend mode? No big deal though, I can get some lightdims like you mentioned.

I played around this yesterday and am able to replicate this behavior on my Dell Chromebox as well - I think I never noticed it before because I had a lightdim on the LED. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the LED to turn off during suspend, just blink at various rates. Maybe I will just go ahead and implement the blinking for all models since that appears to be the standard going forward. Or I could just leave it as-is.

(2016-05-27, 14:08)wwessel Wrote: Hi Matt,

is it possible to execute some commands after resume from suspend? e.g. I want to "touch" my NAS HDD to spin it up just after waking up my Chromebox, so the HDD is ready when I start a movie...

absolutely, see: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Creati...me_Scripts
(2016-05-27, 17:35)Matt Devo Wrote: I played around this yesterday and am able to replicate this behavior on my Dell Chromebox as well - I think I never noticed it before because I had a lightdim on the LED. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the LED to turn off during suspend, just blink at various rates. Maybe I will just go ahead and implement the blinking for all models since that appears to be the standard going forward. Or I could just leave it as-is.
Personally I think making it blink would be annoying. In fact, I just opened up an IR receiver to rip out a red LED because the manufacturer thought it was cool to light up the entire room every time you pressed a remote button!
(2016-05-27, 18:30)MikeMcr Wrote: Personally I think making it blink would be annoying. In fact, I just opened up an IR receiver to rip out a red LED because the manufacturer thought it was cool to light up the entire room every time you pressed a remote button!

I do too, but that seems to be the standard way to differentiate between S3 and S5 modes
(2016-05-27, 18:32)Matt Devo Wrote: I do too, but that seems to be the standard way to differentiate between S3 and S5 modes
Some implementations aren't too bad if a) the brightness is set very low and b) it slowly pulses instead of a quick on/off blink which can be very distracting.
(2016-05-27, 18:39)MikeMcr Wrote: Some implementations aren't too bad if a) the brightness is set very low and b) it slowly pulses instead of a quick on/off blink which can be very distracting.

I don't seem to have the ability to adjust the brightness, just the blink rate (0.25Hz, 0.5Hz, 1Hz, 4Hz). 0.5Hz doesn't seem to bad honestly (with the lightdim)
(2016-05-27, 17:35)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-05-27, 14:08)wwessel Wrote: Hi Matt,

absolutely, see: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Creati...me_Scripts

Ah, that's exactly what I'm searching for. Thanx a lot Smile
I'm setting up my new Dell ChromeBox in a room where the power is cut overnight. What is the expected behaviour when power is restored - can it remember the previous on/off state like my PC? I have Kodi set to suspend after x minutes of inactivity. However, after a power failure it seems to stay off until you press the power button.

As I understand it, you cannot power on using an IR remote but you can resume from standby. Therefore, if it stays off after a power failure I'm a bit stuck.
(2016-05-29, 23:03)MikeMcr Wrote: I'm setting up my new Dell ChromeBox in a room where the power is cut overnight. What is the expected behaviour when power is restored - can it remember the previous on/off state like my PC? I have Kodi set to suspend after x minutes of inactivity. However, after a power failure it seems to stay off until you press the power button.

As I understand it, you cannot power on using an IR remote but you can resume from standby. Therefore, if it stays off after a power failure I'm a bit stuck.
The normal behavior is to restore the previous power state when AC power is lost and then returns. Because suspend is actually S3/suspend to RAM, when power is lost, so is the S3 state, so the default is to return to S5 (power off). The only way around this would be to change the default behavior to power on whenever AC power is applied, regardless of previous state. While I don't want to change the default for all users, I'm happy to make a custom firmware for you that will do that (and have the power LED blink slowly when suspended if you'd like)
(2016-05-29, 23:16)Matt Devo Wrote: The normal behavior is to restore the previous power state when AC power is lost and then returns. Because suspend is actually S3/suspend to RAM, when power is lost, so is the S3 state, so the default is to return to S5 (power off). The only way around this would be to change the default behavior to power on whenever AC power is applied, regardless of previous state. While I don't want to change the default for all users, I'm happy to make a custom firmware for you that will do that (and have the power LED blink slowly when suspended if you'd like)
If you are willing to do that, I would be very grateful, thank you. Do you have a donations link?
(2016-05-29, 23:44)MikeMcr Wrote: If you are willing to do that, I would be very grateful, thank you. Do you have a donations link?

shoot me an email at [email protected]
  • 442(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37