• 458(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-08-06, 22:55)jacko5 Wrote: Matt,
Using the display port on the Samsung with a HDMI / display port adapter.
The Samsung chromebox is lit up on the power button .. blue .. but nothing on the tv screen ( Panasonic 50gt60 plasma ) via my Denon HDMI amplifier ..i know the input is ok as when i connect my ugoos android box on the same input via hdmi its all ok.

try using a DVI->HDMI adapter, or connecting to a DVI monitor, or connecting directly to the display vs thru the AVR.
(2016-08-06, 23:27)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-08-06, 22:55)jacko5 Wrote: Matt,
Using the display port on the Samsung with a HDMI / display port adapter.
The Samsung chromebox is lit up on the power button .. blue .. but nothing on the tv screen ( Panasonic 50gt60 plasma ) via my Denon HDMI amplifier ..i know the input is ok as when i connect my ugoos android box on the same input via hdmi its all ok.

try using a DVI->HDMI adapter, or connecting to a DVI monitor, or connecting directly to the display vs thru the AVR.
Matt,
Just ordered a DVI->HDMI adapter via Ebay.
If all else fails can i ship the chromebox to you to sort out ?
A fee via paypal.
(2016-08-07, 01:02)jacko5 Wrote: Matt,
Just ordered a DVI->HDMI adapter via Ebay.
If all else fails can i ship the chromebox to you to sort out ?
A fee via paypal.

of course, though the vast majority of "bricked" boxes I receive for repair boot right up, as it was some kind of display issue, not actually bricked
Quote:Note: the old standalone firmware updater script for OpenELEC/LibreELEC is now depreciated and no longer available.

Sad to hear. Why this? It was verry usefull
(2016-08-07, 04:32)magy77 Wrote: Sad to hear. Why this? It was verry usefull

it was useful when there was only one device I built firmware for, but impractical to maintain for the 5 generations of ChromeOS devices I now support
Matt,
Small update.
I found a DVI to Serial port adapter and connected the Samsung chromebox to a small digital tv i have for camping.
I booted the samsung and nothing at all comes on the tv screen.
I have a backup of the original firmware saved via USB when i installed your core boot firmware.
Any ideas on how to get the smasung chromebox up and running ?
Can i get a USB Port on the chromebox working and load any type of firmware onto it without seeing what going on because it has no video output ?
Totally lost now, i wish i would have bought a Nuc i5 now DOH.
(2016-08-09, 20:19)jacko5 Wrote: Matt,
Small update.
I found a DVI to Serial port adapter and connected the Samsung chromebox to a small digital tv i have for camping.
I booted the samsung and nothing at all comes on the tv screen.
I have a backup of the original firmware saved via USB when i installed your core boot firmware.
Any ideas on how to get the smasung chromebox up and running ?
Can i get a USB Port on the chromebox working and load any type of firmware onto it without seeing what going on because it has no video output ?
Totally lost now, i wish i would have bought a Nuc i5 now DOH.

shoot me a PM / email, will be easier to continue this offline. I did recommend against this box but it should be fixable Smile
I have been recording the Olympics OTA using my Asus Chromebox, running latest released versions of LibreElec and Kodi. I'm using an external 2.5" HDD, and projecting with a Panasonic HDMI projector at 1080P/30

Frequently the recorded playback freezes, hangs for a few seconds, then goes back to the list of recordings. It happens both during normal playback and high speed playback (NBC loves adding hours of ads over minutes of sport coverage Smile). I suspected the HDD, but if the box is recording at the same time, the recording is unaffected; if it were an HDD problem, I would expect the recording to be impacted somehow. TO be clear: the freezes/hangs happen even when not recording, so it's not an HDD conflict either (or, if it is, it's something else)

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?
(2016-08-11, 14:11)robca Wrote: Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

with a debug log and other info requested in the OP Smile

You might check your deinterlacing settings since outputting 1080i60 at 1080p30 is suboptimal for sure
(2016-08-11, 17:25)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-08-11, 14:11)robca Wrote: Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

with a debug log and other info requested in the OP Smile

You might check your deinterlacing settings since outputting 1080i60 at 1080p30 is suboptimal for sure

Thanks Matt... Problem is: I can't repro the problem on demand. Sometimes it happens after a few minutes, sometimes after 4-5 hours. So it's extremely difficult to get a good log.

I captured a log of my system during playback, but not when the problem happened. Maybe you can spot something off? I see a warning that the ffmpeg version is unsupported, but that seems harmless based on a few internet searches. The log is on pastebin here: http://sprunge.us/MNZH

I changed as per your suggestion the video settings to 1080i/29.97 (since the mpeg video is encoded that way: here's the analysis of the video I played: http://pastebin.com/BFiUspyx). After changing he settings, the frequency of the problem has decreased dramatically (from a couple of times every 2 hours to once in 3-4), but it's still there... Did I change the right settings?

My box is as basic as I could get, I originally installed OpenElec when your script used it, then updated to LibreElec. Did not install many packages or added HW beyond the Turtle Beach SPDIF adapter (the one i got from you Smile)

Any other suggestion?
(2016-08-14, 02:16)robca Wrote: I changed as per your suggestion the video settings to 1080i/29.97 (since the mpeg video is encoded that way: here's the analysis of the video I played: http://pastebin.com/BFiUspyx). After changing he settings, the frequency of the problem has decreased dramatically (from a couple of times every 2 hours to once in 3-4), but it's still there... Did I change the right settings?

Kodi's output resolution should be 1080p59.97 (or 60). 1080i60 content needs to be deinterlaced to 1080p60, not do some weird field drops to get 1080p30. Ensure

while the video is playing, bring up the video settings menu and set Deinterlacing to auto, type to Motion Compensated, and scaling to Bilinear; then save as default at the bottom of the settings menu.
I just picked up a lenovo chrombox - 10H50003US - celeron 3205 for very cheap so I figured I dont have much to lose to see if I can get kodi working on it. Based on what I have read it should work - anyone have any experiences with it?

My current pc that I am using for kodi has seen better days (core2 duo 8300 / nvidia 430) most usb ports dont work, the video card fan is shot and starts to overheat and for some reason I lost bitstreaming of the DTS MA track - always defaults to the DTS core.
(2016-08-14, 14:55)darby427 Wrote: I just picked up a lenovo chrombox - 10H50003US - celeron 3205 for very cheap so I figured I dont have much to lose to see if I can get kodi working on it. Based on what I have read it should work - anyone have any experiences with it?

My current pc that I am using for kodi has seen better days (core2 duo 8300 / nvidia 430) most usb ports dont work, the video card fan is shot and starts to overheat and for some reason I lost bitstreaming of the DTS MA track - always defaults to the DTS core.

works perfectly as a Kodi box using the instructions here. A great deal at $109 shipped from Newegg on ebay at the moment as well.
Matt,
Got something happening.
Changed the 2 ram memory chips in the samsung chromebox and now i have something on screen,
What does this mean ?
(2016-08-14, 19:55)jacko5 Wrote: Matt,
Got something happening.
Changed the 2 ram memory chips in the samsung chromebox and now i have something on screen,
What does this mean ?

it means that it's alive and you just need to install LibreELEC from USB. It's trying to boot ChromeOS off the SSD, but can't do that with the new custom firmware, only Linux.
  • 458(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37