• 462(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-09-01, 19:51)bbsc Wrote: Hi, Matt.

I'm concerned about two problems and it would be great if you could have a look at them.

1. I have a "standalone" Windows setup but boot Libreelec from time to time from a USB stick.
Windows and LE both have correct time settings, including timezone (GMT+3 in my case).
Let's assume Windows showing correct time. If I reboot to LE it shows correct time too.
But when I reboot again to Windows after LE, Windows shows 3 hours earlier than the correct time.
The first ntp query fixes the situation but I have to do it manually or wait too long.
So, what's going on and can it be fixed?
sounds like one or the other is setting the hardware clock with the local time zone (vs assuming it's set UTC). Do you have the timezone/country set up properly in the Kodi settings? If not, that's your issue

Quote:2. Don't you know if Dell Chromebox 3010 has a TPM chip included?
I've seen in the changelog that you've disabled it.
Can it be enabled? I'd like to use it for Bitlocker under Windows.

Thank you in advance.
the TPM chip isn't usable by any OS other than ChromeOS, and it's not needed for Bitlocker
(2016-09-01, 19:56)Matt Devo Wrote: sounds like one or the other is setting the hardware clock with the local time zone
No, both are correct. I suspect that Linux synchronizes RTC to UTC and M$ - to the local time.
Ok, I'll try to use a scheduler task for ntp query under Windows, this may help.

Quote:the TPM chip isn't usable by any OS other than ChromeOS, and it's not needed for Bitlocker
Sad to learn.
It's really needed for Bitlocker if you only don't like to enter PIN during boot process or use a USB stick for key storage.
(2016-09-01, 19:51)bbsc Wrote: Hi, Matt.

I'm concerned about two problems and it would be great if you could have a look at them.

1. I have a "standalone" Windows setup but boot Libreelec from time to time from a USB stick.
Windows and LE both have correct time settings, including timezone (GMT+3 in my case).
Let's assume Windows showing correct time. If I reboot to LE it shows correct time too.
But when I reboot again to Windows after LE, Windows shows 3 hours earlier than the correct time.
The first ntp query fixes the situation but I have to do it manually or wait too long.
So, what's going on and can it be fixed?

2. Don't you know if Dell Chromebox 3010 has a TPM chip included?
I've seen in the changelog that you've disabled it.
Can it be enabled? I'd like to use it for Bitlocker under Windows.

Thank you in advance.
Windows expects the hardware clock to be set to the local timezone. Libreelec changes it to utc.

I begged the openelec team a few years ago to change it so that oe wouldn't modify the system clock as I was using openelec on flash drives set up with mysql and giving them to visitors so they could watch my media on their laptops. I hated the fact that a portable install modified the system that way (pretty intrusive).

Anyway, no one in the oe team listened to me at the time.

But for you, there is a fix. There is a windows registry setting that you can change so it uses utc as the system clock
It is Microsoft that should fix it! Windows is the odd one out here.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-09-02, 01:07)aptalca Wrote: But for you, there is a fix. There is a windows registry setting that you can change so it uses utc as the system clock

Excellent. Found it and fixed. Now it works correctly.
Thank you.
(2016-09-02, 06:13)nickr Wrote: It is Microsoft that should fix it! Windows is the odd one out here.
Definitely they have. We'll forget about Windows when OE will be able to play interlaced VC-1, at least. And when it will be free of weird network problems.
(2016-09-02, 06:48)bbsc Wrote:
(2016-09-02, 06:13)nickr Wrote: It is Microsoft that should fix it! Windows is the odd one out here.
Definitely they have. We'll forget about Windows when OE will be able to play interlaced VC-1, at least. And when it will be free of weird network problems.

A problem which you marked solved!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-09-02, 07:05)nickr Wrote: A problem which you marked solved!
Yes. Solved. By me.
I would say it's almost solved, because that speed is still 10-15% lower under OE/LE than under Windows. But not 4 times lower.

Generally, I don't want to start a new holly war here.
I don't like Windows and I'm not a Linux fan. But I know how to install the first and how to use awk and sed in the second.
I just use the software that fits my demands.
Sorry if this has been covered before, I tried searching but didn't come up with much. So it's been a while since I've updated, I'm on v6.0.398-Intel_EGL version. I noticed that in the changelog the versions beyond this one don't mention anything about EGL. Is v6.0.398 the last version with EGL enhancements, or are they also rolled into 7 and beyond? Thanks
(2016-09-03, 07:02)hagfish Wrote: Sorry if this has been covered before, I tried searching but didn't come up with much. So it's been a while since I've updated, I'm on v6.0.398-Intel_EGL version. I noticed that in the changelog the versions beyond this one don't mention anything about EGL. Is v6.0.398 the last version with EGL enhancements, or are they also rolled into 7 and beyond? Thanks
The EGL implementation in OE 6.0/Kodi 15.2 was a test/preview, and the full version wasn't ready for Kodi 16, so OE/LE 7.0 uses the older Intel renderer (albeit an improved version). Kodi 17 has only the new EGL renderer and is technically far superior to any previous versions, so you might look at either the LE 8.0 alpha (7.90.005) or Milhouse's nightly builds
Perfect- exactly the info I was looking for, I'll likely just wait for the stable 17/OE, but may mess around with the nightlies as you suggested, thanks!
A portable stick should not modify system or hardware settings, period. It's not a question of whether it should be utc or local
Ok so my brother's Asus Chromebox CN62 got bumped off the TV stand and fell to the floor, now it won't turn on.

Pressing the power button causes the fan to whir (I'm assuming, he's going to drop it off later today) but the power led doesn't come on.

How do I go about trouble shooting it? I hope some cable just got disconnected or something. Thanks for the help.
(2016-09-03, 07:42)hagfish Wrote: Perfect- exactly the info I was looking for, I'll likely just wait for the stable 17/LE, but may mess around with the nightlies as you suggested, thanks!
FTFY
(2016-09-03, 16:33)aptalca Wrote: A portable stick should not modify system or hardware settings, period. It's not a question of whether it should be utc or local
So it should detect if installed to internal/external storage and modify its behavior accordingly?
(2016-09-03, 18:15)live4ever Wrote: Ok so my brother's Asus Chromebox CN62 got bumped off the TV stand and fell to the floor, now it won't turn on.

Pressing the power button causes the fan to whir (I'm assuming, he's going to drop it off later today) but the power led doesn't come on.

How do I go about trouble shooting it? I hope some cable just got disconnected or something. Thanks for the help.
short of unplugging/replugging the external cables, not much. I'd open up the box and remove/re-seat the RAM, but if that doesn't work, then I'd guess there is non-obvious physical damage somewhere, since the power button works but no LED. Hopefully it's still under warranty
(2016-09-03, 16:33)aptalca Wrote: A portable stick should not modify system or hardware settings, period. It's not a question of whether it should be utc or local
You can try to use a simple workaround.
Just create an /storage/.config/autostart.sh file:
Code:
# cat /storage/.config/autostart.sh
( sleep 10s; hwclock -w -l ) &
#
It will set RTC back to the local time after Kodi's boot process.
  • 462(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37