• 470(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-09-19, 22:35)sunnylovpreet Wrote: I used the generic version for Librelec for Intel 64.
Would that be the correct one?

Thanks Matt
yes, but the USB/SD Creator tool offers multiple versions, mainly the 7.0.2 stable and 7.90.005 alpha. I recommend using the stable version
Hi Matt.

I was planning on updating to the Kodi 17 (alpha 7.90.004) build on the Wiki. I noticed on the first page of this thread there have been a lot of various other updates (for example: coreboot, SeaBIOS, etc,etc) when modding the chromebox for the first time. I originally modded this maybe 1.5 - 2 years ago. Are there any necessary upgrades other than just upgrading Kodi?

Also, the link on the wiki for the Kodi 17 alpha build shows ".img.gz" as the file extension, should it be ".tar" for updates?

Thanks!
(2016-09-19, 22:56)BB90 Wrote: Hi Matt.

I was planning on updating to the Kodi 17 (alpha 7.90.004) build on the Wiki. I noticed on the first page of this thread there have been a lot of various other updates (for example: coreboot, SeaBIOS, etc,etc) when modding the chromebox for the first time. I originally modded this maybe 1.5 - 2 years ago. Are there any necessary upgrades other than just upgrading Kodi?

Also, the link on the wiki for the Kodi 17 alpha build shows ".img.gz" as the file extension, should it be ".tar" for updates?

Thanks!

looks like I need to update the wiki links, since 7.90.005 is the latest.

since you're running a dual boot setup, the coreboot firmware update doesn't apply. The SeaBIOS legacy boot updates are all minor and have no substantial effect on a dual boot setup.

Given that you originally set things up with an older version of OpenELEC, I highly suspect that the system partition created then (automatically, by the script) isn't large enough for the newer LibreELEC builds. It's probably not a bad idea to do a factory reset and redo your dual boot setup unless you want to boot a Linux live USB and manually resize the partitions (which isn't terribly hard IMO)
Matt do I have to select the tar file or the other format when creating the USB from librelec software? And also should I reset my box completely as it was setup over 2 years ago.
(2016-09-19, 23:17)sunnylovpreet Wrote: Matt do I have to select the tar file or the other format when creating the USB from librelec software? And also should I reset my box completely as it was setup over 2 years ago.

the .tar files are used for manual updates (on OE/LE < 8.0; LE 8.0 will use .img.gz for updates as well), but you can't do that because your system isn't bootable ATM.

The LibreELEC USB/SD Creator downloads an image file (.img.gz), but is only needed for creating install (or repair) media for a standalone setup.

If you don't care about redoing your setup (both on ChromeOS and Kodi) then a fresh start would likely be the easiest path forward
What next steps do i have to do for a fresh start as its not booting?

Thanks
(2016-09-20, 00:48)sunnylovpreet Wrote: What next steps do i have to do for a fresh start as its not booting?

Thanks

start with the factory reset, the proceed as if doing the dual boot for the first time.
I was trying to do that but once I am in chrome OS and it won't accept alt+ctrl+del to go to command prompt. Don't know how to fix this issue so that I can run the script again
(2016-09-20, 01:44)sunnylovpreet Wrote: I was trying to do that but once I am in chrome OS and it won't accept alt+ctrl+del to go to command prompt. Don't know how to fix this issue so that I can run the script again

just follow the instructions in the wiki/first post like you did the first time. CTRL+ALT+F2 is what gets you a terminal prompt from the login screen.
The fan in my Asus CN60 Chromebox is whirring. I'm having a hard time getting the motherboard out. Any pointers? I've searched google/youtube/ifixit etc.

edit: managed to pop out the motherboard. You just gotta pull out from an angle from the front side.
edit2: I noticed that it was a little tricky to get the motherboard in place afterwards. There is a little plastic bit at the corner near the SD cart port, it covers the SD card daughtercard. It's easy to pop out if you have something small and pointy. You should do this before removing the motherboard as it'll make it easier.
(2016-09-20, 01:52)Soli Wrote: The fan in my Asus CN60 Chromebox is whirring. I'm having a hard time getting the motherboard out. Any pointers? I've searched google/youtube/ifixit etc.

assuming you have the bottom off and WP screw removed:
- remove screw opposite WP screw holding board to chassis
- remove black plastic piece (lock) above WP screw
- disconnect Wifi antenna leads from card
- disconnect power button wire from board (next to ssd)
- using plastic spidgel, lift board out starting from front / by USB ports
Hey Matt how he would I start the factory reset on the box? I did made a USB from Google Chrome recovery app. Kindly can you please guide me to how to start the reset.
And also I was pressing ctrl alt f2 but it still won't take me to the prompt to re run the script
(2016-09-20, 04:50)sunnylovpreet Wrote: Hey Matt how he would I start the factory reset on the box? I did made a USB from Google Chrome recovery app. Kindly can you please guide me to how to start the reset.
this is all in the wiki, just like from when you did it the first time
Thank you kindly Matt I was finally able to make it work. I just had to use another keyboard for it to go into command prompt and it worked which is weird. I really appreciate your quick reply every time. Thank you so much. Have a good night.
  • 470(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37