• 489(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I updated my Pather Chromebox firmware. I install the UEFI Firmware. After i installed Ubuntu 16.04 but when i boot it it stuck on the EFI Shell with Device mapping table.

i can manually start Ubuntu with this command :

fs0:
cd efi
cd Ubuntu
grub....efi

but how to load Ubuntu in boot without command?

i have tried to play in the 'bios' options... i found to start Ubuntu with...but i have to do it each time...i save configuration...but it loose it each time.

if i don't find solution for this...i will try find how to go back to the legacy boot.

a other think i tried it to use the boot-repair tool...but it failled to.
(2017-01-16, 00:11)martinqc101 Wrote: I updated my Pather Chromebox firmware. I install the UEFI Firmware. After i installed Ubuntu 16.04 but when i boot it it stuck on the EFI Shell with Device mapping table.

fs0:
cd efi
cd Ubuntu
grub....efi

i have tried to play in the 'bios' options... i found to start Ubuntu with...but i have to do it each time...i save configuration...but it loose it each time.

if i don't find solution for this...i will try find how to go back to the legacy boot.

boot Ubuntu manually, then from a shell terminal:
sudo su
mkdir /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT
cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

then reboot.
Thank it work!

(2017-01-16, 00:24)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-01-16, 00:11)martinqc101 Wrote: I updated my Pather Chromebox firmware. I install the UEFI Firmware. After i installed Ubuntu 16.04 but when i boot it it stuck on the EFI Shell with Device mapping table.

fs0:
cd efi
cd Ubuntu
grub....efi

boot Ubuntu manually, then from a shell terminal:
sudo su
mkdir /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT
cp /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

then reboot.
Got a question. I have the Asus CN60 chromebox. A long time ago I did the dual boot thing but reverted back to chrome OS, except it still has the seabios bios not the original bios installed. I also put the 16gb SSD back into the device and it was otherwise restored to a typical chromebox (but the write protect is still disabled).

I decided to try to get the dual boot into Kodi set up following the steps in the installation guide but when trying to boot into kodi, I get the black screen. So I have to do a factory reset (my recollection is I did this but ok I'll try this again). But I'm confused.

The instructions say:

Quote:Note: The recovery media created using Google's recovery tool works only when the ChromeBox is booted into recovery mode, which only exists when using the stock firmware. If you've flashed a custom firmware on your box (either as part of a standalone setup or otherwise), ChromeOS recovery mode doesn't exist, and attempting to boot the recovery media from SeaBIOS will not work (it will boot you into a non-functional version of ChromeOS).

So if I'm using a custom (seabios) bios, how do I proceed?
Hi Matt or anybody who can help..
I have done something wrong in the set up process and now i just get a black screen. It happened during the LibreElec install, the screen came up to install it. But I pressed esc by accident and the screen went black. Now the usb ports seem to not work, so i cant restore and begin from new. tried to use live usb and libreelec install media. Nothing happens, no flashing from usb drive. Its as if the ports are not working. How do I go about getting back to ez-script or restoring stock to try again.
(2017-01-17, 17:43)mig0 Wrote: Got a question. I have the Asus CN60 chromebox. A long time ago I did the dual boot thing but reverted back to chrome OS, except it still has the seabios bios not the original bios installed. I also put the 16gb SSD back into the device and it was otherwise restored to a typical chromebox (but the write protect is still disabled).

I decided to try to get the dual boot into Kodi set up following the steps in the installation guide but when trying to boot into kodi, I get the black screen. So I have to do a factory reset (my recollection is I did this but ok I'll try this again). But I'm confused.

So if I'm using a custom (seabios) bios, how do I proceed?

if you have/had a dual boot setup, then you still have the stock firmware. Power on with the recovery button pressed, then insert the recovery media when prompted. When complete, use CTRL+D to boot ChromeOS on the dev mode boot screen (before SeaBIOS) then redo the dual boot setup.

(2017-01-20, 20:07)Neil123 Wrote: Hi Matt or anybody who can help..
I have done something wrong in the set up process and now i just get a black screen. It happened during the LibreElec install, the screen came up to install it. But I pressed esc by accident and the screen went black. Now the usb ports seem to not work, so i cant restore and begin from new. tried to use live usb and libreelec install media. Nothing happens, no flashing from usb drive. Its as if the ports are not working. How do I go about getting back to ez-script or restoring stock to try again.

so you're doing a standalone setup, flashed the firmware, but now the LibreELEC install media won't boot? have you tried another HDMI cable or display? used a different USB?
Yes standalone, tried to flash LibreElec but then black screen. Now Chromebox wont boot, wont recognize Usb. Cant flash anything. Have tried 3 different Usb sticks and 2 displays.
(2017-01-20, 22:59)Neil123 Wrote: Yes standalone, tried to flash LibreElec but then black screen. Now Chromebox wont boot, wont recognize Usb. Cant flash anything. Have tried 3 different Usb sticks and 2 displays.

are you using the HDMI or DP output?
(2017-01-21, 01:38)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-01-20, 22:59)Neil123 Wrote: Yes standalone, tried to flash LibreElec but then black screen. Now Chromebox wont boot, wont recognize Usb. Cant flash anything. Have tried 3 different Usb sticks and 2 displays.

Have tried both.. If I leave it off and insert usb/sd card it works for a while but then the screen goes blank,
(2017-01-21, 09:58)Neil123 Wrote:
(2017-01-21, 01:38)Matt Devo Wrote:

Have tried both.. If I leave it off and insert usb/sd card it works for a while but then the screen goes blank,

Have fixed it Matt. After trying 6 different tv's eventually I got a picture so I could run the LibreElec install media.Not sure why it wouldnt connect to 3 of the tv's as they have Chromebox's already connected.After LibreElec installed the Chromebox connected to the Tv's. Never had this problem before with my other chromboxes. Thanks for your help, much appreciated
any tips for getting x265 files to play flawlessly? i'm really surprised by i have some x265 files that stutter on the chromebox, but play perfectly on the shield. not sure if i could have one of my settings wrong maybe?
(2017-01-22, 04:14)knives of ice Wrote: any tips for getting x265 files to play flawlessly? i'm really surprised by i have some x265 files that stutter on the chromebox, but play perfectly on the shield. not sure if i could have one of my settings wrong maybe?

that's to be expected: the Shield TV has full HEVC hardware decoding, the Chromebox does not, so is limited by the Celeron CPU. I'm not ready to jump on the Android bandwagon so I picked up a Core i7 Chromebox and it does 1080p HEVC no problem (even 10-bit) but can't handle 4K since the CPU is still too weak (it's a 15w mobile part after all).
(2017-01-22, 07:25)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-01-22, 04:14)knives of ice Wrote: any tips for getting x265 files to play flawlessly? i'm really surprised by i have some x265 files that stutter on the chromebox, but play perfectly on the shield. not sure if i could have one of my settings wrong maybe?

that's to be expected: the Shield TV has full HEVC hardware decoding, the Chromebox does not, so is limited by the Celeron CPU. I'm not ready to jump on the Android bandwagon so I picked up a Core i7 Chromebox and it does 1080p HEVC no problem (even 10-bit) but can't handle 4K since the CPU is still too weak (it's a 15w mobile part after all).

thanks for the info, i wasn't aware. yeah, these are 10bit files. i much prefer my chromebox as well but there are a few advantages to the shield. good to have both sometimes.
Hmm... I updated bios/firmware via GalliumOS. Then I tried to download and make libreelec installation stick via EZ-script (to same stick than GalliomOS was). Got input output error. I just took stick off from Chromebox while GalliumOS (and EZ-script) running, and made installation stick with Windwos laptop. After rebooting with LE-installation stick, I just get black screen. With same keyboard and stick installation has worked earlier flawlessly. Did I just brick my Asus Chromebox, and why? Big Grin What to do next?

EDIT: tried with my main system and working fine. For some reason my Samsung TV upstairs don't show picture with new firmware - even after installation of LE. Strange.
EDIT2: TV that doesn't work now with new firmware: LT32E310EX
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
Just saying: trying to install the libreelec over the top of the operating system (gallium) that you were using at the time is never gonna work.

Not sure what factors come into play with the new firmware and particular TV models, I'll leave that to Matt.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 489(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37