Looking for feedback on HTPC hardware choice
Hi,

I've been looking at setting up a HTPC and ran into this forum which has me hooked! Not only do I like XBMC but there are some smart people here!

So I wanted to get some feedback from the community. I am looking at setting up a HTPC to do the following:

- Stream online content (TV channel video as well as audio such as Shoutcast radio)
- Netflix
- OTA viewing
- PVR OTA
- Serve movies from my NAS system.

Requirement (in order):
- Low power consumption
- Quiet

As mentioned above, I have a NAS system I am trying to get going, it is a HP ex490 which I am upgrading to Windows Home Server 2011. Content will mostly be on this NAS but it's primary role is making sure my data is backed up!

Hardware is what I am not sure on, so tell me what you think?

Looking at:

- AMD Athlon 5150 Kabini 1.6GHz Socket AM1 25W Desktop Processor AMD Radeon HD 8400 AD5150JAHMBOX
- ASRock AM1H-ITX AM1 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 DC-In/ATX Power Input Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
- Trying to find a MS-Tech CI-70
- Windows 8.1 pro
- SSD 64 GB
- WD 1 TB Green Drive

What does everyone think?
Not sure if the cpu will deliver enough power for all those demands, pvr and 1080i streaming may require more horsepower. Also make sure that win8 fully supports your pvr. 64gb ssd might be a little small depending on usage. The mb might require a psu depending on sales package.
Thanks, I figured that processor would be to good to be true. Looks like I'll have to go a bit bigger with case and processor.

I've been trying to find what the minimum processing power is needed for OTA PVR. Any ideas?
You should look in the Kabini thread. A lot of people have this platform and share their experience there. None of what you want to do is CPU intensive and the integrated GPU has good support for deinterlacing.
(2014-05-20, 19:30)Dougie Fresh Wrote: You should look in the Kabini thread. A lot of people have this platform and share their experience there. None of what you want to do is CPU intensive and the integrated GPU has good support for deinterlacing.

Thanks, I've been watching that thread with great interest. Looking forward to seeing feedback with your build.
Yeah, I'd really like to get back to that build and try it in the ASRock motherboard I've had sitting here for weeks now.
Well my Athlon 5350 build does all of what you want, although my tv stick in it is SD only so can't comment on its HD pvr/live tv ability,
I would suggest paying the extra few pennies for the top of the range 5350 rather than the 5150, I'm really pleased with my build and have been pleasantly surprised how capable such a low powered machine is.
(2014-05-21, 15:06)stammie Wrote: Well my Athlon 5350 build does all of what you want, although my tv stick in it is SD only so can't comment on its HD pvr/live tv ability,
I would suggest paying the extra few pennies for the top of the range 5350 rather than the 5150, I'm really pleased with my build and have been pleasantly surprised how capable such a low powered machine is.

I think I might do it. Want to conserve the amount of power I use but still want to have the PVR functionality. I'm going to gamble on it and try the 5350. If not I'll have to upgrade the processor later.

stammie, how do you output video from your build? Is it at 1080p? Is it smooth without dropped frames?
The PVR functionality really isn't that CPU intensive. Tvheadend will happily record multiple channels on rather old Pentium hardware. A question regardign the tuners, are you thinking of using USB tuners or do you want to install internal (PCI/e) tuners to your machine? Generally internal cards are considered as better and more stable, but I've been happy with my Intel i3 NUC and 4 USB tuners (the NUC isn't exactly a speed demon either).

I would be extremely surprised if the Kabini wouldn't do all that you want with flying colours (maybe with the exception of Netflix that I know nothing about).
Was aiming for an internal tuner... Everything in a nice neat little package.

I'm going to try my luck.

@trsqr - what tuner brand are you using, all I find here is hauppauge as an option, wondering if there is anything else out there...
(2014-05-22, 05:10)menaknow Wrote:
(2014-05-21, 15:06)stammie Wrote: Well my Athlon 5350 build does all of what you want, although my tv stick in it is SD only so can't comment on its HD pvr/live tv ability,

I think I might do it. Want to conserve the amount of power I use but still want to have the PVR functionality. I'm going to gamble on it and try the 5350. If not I'll have to upgrade the processor later.

stammie, how do you output video from your build? Is it at 1080p? Is it smooth without dropped frames?

I output at 1080p via HDMI and get no dropped frames

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for feedback on HTPC hardware choice0