Req Multiple video stream MKV support for 2D/3D
I could have sworn I read something a while back by a Team-XBMC member who mentioned that starting with Gotham we can have a video file with both 2D and 3D video streams and switch between them.

Since I can't get v13.0 or v13.1 RC1 to do this, I guess I must have misunderstood that member or I was probably hallucinating.

My MKVs are multiplexed as follows:

0: 2D Video (StereoMode field is blank) - default: yes
1: 3D Video (StereoMode field is '1') - default: no
2: Audio
3: Subtitles
4: Chapters

File names include the string ".3D.", eg. Movie Title [2013.PG13.3D.1080p.x264.DTS].mkv

So has anyone managed to get something like this to work or was I right to request it as a feature?
Xbmc can only play sidebyside or top-bottom videos (and detect them from the name and switch automatically to that view) but can't play regular mvc videos because there are no open source decoders right now for that format..
XBMC can convert your (H)SBS/OU videos to 2D, but we don't support multiple video streams in a MKV container. Also your filenames have to contain 2 keywords, first is "3D" which you already have, the second one is the 3D type like "HSBS". So change your filenames to something like *.3D.HSBS.* and you're good (or correctly set the stereoscopic mode in your MKV header using mkvtoolnix, then the filename doesn't matter)
Thanks for the response guys.

I guess it may be a few more years before I get to merge my 2D/3D library.

Should I keep this thread open for when MVC becomes possible or delete it and recreate it then?

Thanks,
F.
well, MVC is unrelated to your initial request, but multistream support itself also has been asked several times already (for different purposes though, like directors cut, ...)
Sorry, it looks like I got confused. Since phate89 suggested MVC, I thought that's what it was called.

I'll check back in a couple of months -- I guess can't possibly be the only one whose interested in storing both 2D and 3D video in the same MKV.
well, to save space MVC stream format is the best you can get (only the difference to the first eye is stored in the second stream), but unfortunately ffmpeg can't decode it yet and thus can't we. The next option you have is to only store the 3D video and have XBMC convert it to 2D - so you don't have to drag along both versions (and in case of FullSBS/TAB you wouldn't have a quality loss - given your HTPC can decode such videos)
Thanks for that information, much appreciated.

I still think multistream is the best option for me and I'm glad it has been requested before (even if for other purposes) but I hope that if (and when) it's implemented, 3D video is recognized when you switch between video streams and you come across one with the StereoMode field set.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple video stream MKV support for 2D/3D1