Gotham 13.0 on Lubuntu 14.04 and Asus A85 + A10-5700
Hi,
after quite some time I did upgrade my HTPC from Lubuntu 12.10 and fglx patched according to the old thread to Lubuntu 14.04
The result is very good, and I'm very happy about my system now.
What I did for upgrading is easy, but required some manual work.
Let's start from the beginning: upgrading from Lubuntu 12.10 via GUI was impossible, as there was no way to get the "go" button on the screen,
thus I did the manual way via SSH.
The first time it didn't work, thus I had to go back to the GUI, try once again and finally the manual way via SSH has began to work.
The command is
sudo do-release-upgrade
and it will only upgrade to Lubuntu 13.10, this step was not really what I wanted, but it was helpful as it did clean all ppa's
at a certain point, you will be asked if you want to keep your startup files or if you want to get the official ones, I decided to keep mine.
Once in Lubuntu 13.10, I did the same procedure via SSH
Same question about the startup files, and same answer to keep my startup files.
Then I went into Lubuntu 14.04, so far so good.
You need to install xbmc, but you will be offered Frodo, thus you need to install manually the proper ppa
this is the way
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Unfortunately, Lubuntu will offer you fglrx, thus you need to switch to the opensource drivers:
via GUI open the menu Preferences -> Software & Updates -> Additional Drivers, and select "Using X.Org X server"
then you will experience some little problems:
1) Video is too big : switch your TV mode to 16:9 (or the one that fits properly)
2) xbmc crashes : install the mesa libs in this way
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/mesa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
3) Only 2 channels audio via SPDIF : you must use Confluence skin,
go to setting, System, left arrow and choose Setting Level as Advanced, then in
System Setting -> Audio Output you need to select an Analog Output device and the mode as 2.0
finally you need to set the passtrough by enabling it according to this picture
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...hrough.png

My experience, comparing with the earlier version and ATI drivers, is that the colors are a little bit more saturated,
on the other hand all videos play smoothly, and the player is colder than before, letting the CPU at 1.4GHz
What is still wrong is the temperature script, as the printout from "sensors" is hard to fetch properly.
I get this result
Code:
xbmc@xbmc-System-Product-Name:~$ sensors
k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +14.0°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                       (crit = +70.0°C, hyst = +69.0°C)

radeon-pci-0008
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +14.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

I hope this can be helpful for someone else as well.

Thanks for the wonderful work,
Claudio

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham 13.0 on Lubuntu 14.04 and Asus A85 + A10-57000