Switching from nVidia GT430 to Intel HD 4600 for GPU in Linux
Hi there,
Sorry to ask such a non technical question it's just I'm at a bit of a crossroads, have been using a GT430 happily with XBMC for a couple of years now, served me well top notch de-interlacing for 1080i material and no noise after a fan mod, but the time has come to upgrade and now looks like finally the Intel onboard solutions are finally powerful enough and have driver support in Linux.
I know this will have been answered somewhere but I'm struggling to find direct answers to this on the forum
Would it be correct to assume that assuming I use a kernel of 3.8 or higher and the latest Haswell based i3 with HD 4600 graphics I should be good to go in Linux in terms of HDMI passthrough of DTSMA/TrueHD/LPCM and 23.976fps playback?
Thanks
No.

1.) Use Kernel >= 3.13 - even better 3.14.5 for the audio alignment fixes.
2.) Use libva and vaapi-driver-intel >= 1.3.0

You can get quite good results with an upto date xbmcbuntu gotham installation. 24p is not an issue at all on HSW based intels.

If you need deinterlacing, there is currently no(!) working mainline xbmc version that has it. You can either use OpenELEC, enable the swfilter and use yadif deinterlacing or follow that howto: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707 which is pinned on top - so you did not look very long to find answers :-)

Furthermore: There are some shitty Pioneer, Denon receivers out there that refuse to play 44.1 khz at all.

Good luck it's nice hardware.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for the input,
It looks like deinterlacing is possible with a bit of messing around then using the onboard HD 4600, hmmm things getting interesting many thanks.
Won't be going the OpenELEC route though.
It's not really much "messing arround". When you start with xbmcbuntu v13 it's just a matter of adding the right ppa and installing xbmc.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
That's what I was hoping, I'm fairly adept at getting XBMC going from a minimal ISO so shouldn't be too much trouble.
That's the problem with you developers, you only deal in absolutes so sometimes paint an image darker than us non-specific wishy washy types :p

Cheers again, much appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switching from nVidia GT430 to Intel HD 4600 for GPU in Linux0