• 13(current)
Zotac CI320-520-540 Fanless
Sorry for my ignorance but how would someone downgrade the Kernel ?
Just a quick note for anyone running into the same problem:

I got a replacement ci520 after the first one would no longer boot/startup.
Again after about a month the replacement unit failed to boot/react again.

Turns out its the standby/suspending that appears to brick the device.
Pressing the CMOS button and disconnecting the AC will not do anything.

The warranty sticker was very loose so I was able to peel it off @ the right corner without damage in order to reveal a screw.
After taking the box apart and disconnecting/reconnecting the power to the BIOS battery the box started working again.

Seems to be an issue that multiple people reported so far. So either avoid the zotac boxes, avoid standby or be prepared to disconnect the bios battery.
I no longer put it in standby since it starts so fast anyway.
(2015-01-31, 09:17)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-01-31, 00:00)Wagg Wrote: My HDTV has no overscan adjustments at all, so if the drivers don't allow it I'm SOL. The Intel Baytrail drivers are the only ones I've ever seen that don't allow this. Pure garbage.

So I wasted money on a Windows 8.1 license and I'm stuck using OpenElec which has a bug with the Baytrail anyways and locks up constantly. I'm sorry I ever bought this thing.
Just use 4.2.1 until this kernel bug is resolved or disable C6 mode in BIOS for 5.0 plenty of options... Stop whining. Xbmc also has screen calibration... If nothing else helps.

I've installed OpenElec 5, my BIOS version is 2K141225 (downloaded from their website) and have an official Zotac remote control (that does not power on the zbox).
I don't believe suspend is enabled in OpenElec (that's something one has to change manually, right?).

My current CPU settings in BIOS are:
CPU c6 report: disabled
CPU c7 report: disabled
Package C state limit: C3

My current power settings are:
Enable Auto ACPI Auto configuration: enabled
ACPI sleep state: S3
Lock Legacy: disabled
Restore AC power loss: power off
Deep sleep S5 support: disabled
CIR wake up: enabled
LAN wake up: enabled
wake up on alarm: disabled

Fritsch, could you please tell us the exact BIOS settings of your Zotac CI320 (or one that would work best)? Because I don't want to brick it Smile

Thanks,
Erwin
In CI320 BIOS, is it enough to set the C State Limit to C3, or is it also required to disable the C6/C7 CPU Report ?
(2015-02-13, 17:12)karmck Wrote: Hi, has anyone got the CI520 hooked up via HDMI to an AV receiver with audio passthrough? Are there any issues when switching the source or switching off the av receiver and left running headless? I'm planning to have one of these always on and just switch on the receiver when I want to play some media and I heard that the NUCs have some issues with this.
Thanks!

I just set mine up that way and when you switch to another HDMI input on the receiver, the CI520 stops the its HDMI signal. On my receiver (Yamaha RX-V765) if you switch to a non-HDMI input, say the iPod dock and then back to the HTPC, it will wake up the HDMI output. However, when I switch to my satellite box and back to the HTPC, the signal is gone.

I just ordered one of these, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RIM...UTF8&psc=1. We'll see if it does the trick.
Better return the Zotac and get a ASUS Chromebox or Intel Baytrail Nuc. This whole Thread is full of Reasons to not use the Zotac. Trust me, i use a Chromebox and a Baytrail NUC and no Issues so far with both of them...
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
Zotac works great with Windows. the problem is not Zotac. The problem is OPENELEC that doesn't support the Zotac very well.
I need the SPDIF output which the NUC doesn't have.
WhatHuh?

It's for sure not OpenELEC's fault when the hdmi driver looses the connection, if you AVR stops transmitting it, when you switch the channel. Search for drm_kms_helper in the forum and you will find your solution ... All the VAAPI implementation was done on a Zotac CI520.

Windows uses an ultra old DirectX9 implementation for video decoding - it would not call that major at all.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I don't have the HDMI problem. I was reporting another issue related to not supporting CPU C-States. See above.
Known OE bug:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=88012
Guess who filed it ... it was me.

And again that's a kernel bug affecting the complete linux world ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I also have a NUC N2820 running OE 5.0.2 and it never had even a single freeze yet. CI320 always freeze within 1 hour of playback at max. (even after changing Bios to C1 limit)
(2015-02-16, 08:34)danik56 Wrote: Zotac works great with Windows. the problem is not Zotac. The problem is OPENELEC that doesn't support the Zotac very well.
I need the SPDIF output which the NUC doesn't have.

I bought a CI520 particularly to run Windows on it, and I had to reboot it quite a number of times because the HDMI output was gone. The other really annoying Windows issue that hasn't been fixed yet is that I get frequent out of memory warnings. Some odd bug when running something at a different resolution than your desktop resolution, apparently, it writes the RAM full of garbage. Was supposedly fixed sometime last year but really wasn't. I can't say I'm as happy with my Windows replacement than I was with my previous Windows box. Only plus side is that it's much smaller and dead quiet.
I have been running CI320 in my bedroom for 3 month with Windows 8.1, and have no HDMI issues at all. The HDMI output is connected to the TV directly and the audio
goes via SPDIF to a Marantz receiver.
So far so good.
I tried to run another CI320 with OE 5.0.2 and it has the playback freezing issue.
Does the HDMI to av receiver issue affect all of the haswell small PCs? Is there any SFF PC I can get that won't give me this problem ?
(2015-02-16, 11:06)danik56 Wrote: I have been running CI320 in my bedroom for 3 month with Windows 8.1, and have no HDMI issues at all. The HDMI output is connected to the TV directly and the audio
goes via SPDIF to a Marantz receiver.
So far so good.
I tried to run another CI320 with OE 5.0.2 and it has the playback freezing issue.

Makes me think it's in deed quad core only related ... I currently think about doing a special OE 5.0.x build with the latest 3.16.x kernel - so that celeron baytrail quadcore users have something, until intel cares again ...
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac CI320-520-540 Fanless1