Help with Home networking
I am trying to setup our home network better and allow us to have access from outside the home to my network. I am not a network guy so looking for some help here.
We have Cox cable which running into our Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen Wifi router upstairs in our den. From this router we have a NAS for backups and few computers all wired to it via Ethernet. From them I also ran an Ethernet cable to our upstairs landing and wired a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi router so we can get better signal downstairs. This all seems good. At the Nighthawk I also have 2 NAS drives for Movie/TW storage located here both via Ethernet.

My new plan is this. I am trying to move the NAS and few other items downstairs into my closet behind the HTPC. I would like to add a switch or something in the closet. I was going to run Ethernet from the Nighthawk down in the closet into the switch. From here I can hard wire a few of my Ethernet devices. Right now my HTPC is using Wifi AC which is ok but going gigabit would be much better.

I am just not sure what switch or whatever I should buy. Like I said I would like to have access to network from away from home. I have one NAS hacked and runs web based IP programs I would like to access.

Trying to do and not spend a huge amount. I need at least 8 port switch but 16 would be better.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with Home networking0