• 33(current)
pvr.mythtv add-on
Fresh install on new PC

Without the "demuxing MPEG-TS" option enabled playback is unwatchable. Playback of live TV stopping at random.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=365891
Hi Janbar!
I found another issue in new addon - playback of recorded shows when slave backend is in use. I don't know if this is related to the addon or to mythtv backend, maybe you can help me to find out.

When playing recorded show, stream is read from slave backend regardless of "master backend override" setting in mythtv master backend. (In my configuration slave BE saves recording to network storage, master BE sees all recorded files on same storage and should stream it.) Before you made support for http redirection, stream goes from master backend as expected (even if it was recorded by slave backend). Based on this I expect (but I'm not sure), that master backend is not redirecting your addon to the slave backend, but addon is directly asking slave backend (which originally recorded tv show). In kodi logs I can't see any redirection after starting playback (only slave BE name/IP resolving and after that opening stream to the slave BE ip:port). I made another test: I disconnected slave backend from network and try to start playback of recorded tv show. After name/ip/port was resolved, playback ended with error "(CPPMyth)__connectAddr: failed to connect (113)". Starting playback of the same show in mythfrontend works well.

My assumption is, that addon should contact master BE with every query. If master BE can't handle query, it will respond with redirection to the slave BE.

Some background:
In my case, slave BE is very slow device and due to this issue playback has very poor performance (because of unnecessary network traffic). Also slave BE has feature to shutdown when idle, in that case playback wouldn't work even if master backend is online.
FYI, and apologies if it has already been mentioned, but I am pretty much convinced that pvr.myth fails to execute "Set Wakeup Command" when kodi shuts the system down. I use /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh $time. The command line works fine out of xbmc Gotham with cmyth and MythWelcome.

Thanks
(2014-12-11, 07:11)guiguy Wrote: pvr.myth fails to execute "Set Wakeup Command" when kodi shuts the system down. I use /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh $time.
Sorry, but maybe it's Kodi itself that's supposed to run the "Set Wakeup Command". My apologies if that's the case.
(2014-12-11, 07:11)guiguy Wrote: FYI, and apologies if it has already been mentioned, but I am pretty much convinced that pvr.myth fails to execute "Set Wakeup Command" when kodi shuts the system down. I use /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh $time. The command line works fine out of xbmc Gotham with cmyth and MythWelcome.

Thanks
Never addon cmyth or the new had or execute this command !
This is a fonctionnality of XBMC/Kodi itself to handle wakeup for embended backend doesn't have that (Tvheadend ...). Using MythTV you should not use it !

(2014-12-07, 23:34)kapitan-iglu Wrote: Hi Janbar!
I found another issue in new addon - playback of recorded shows when slave backend is in use. I don't know if this is related to the addon or to mythtv backend, maybe you can help me to find out.

When playing recorded show, stream is read from slave backend regardless of "master backend override" setting in mythtv master backend. (In my configuration slave BE saves recording to network storage, master BE sees all recorded files on same storage and should stream it.) Before you made support for http redirection, stream goes from master backend as expected (even if it was recorded by slave backend). Based on this I expect (but I'm not sure), that master backend is not redirecting your addon to the slave backend, but addon is directly asking slave backend (which originally recorded tv show). In kodi logs I can't see any redirection after starting playback (only slave BE name/IP resolving and after that opening stream to the slave BE ip:port). I made another test: I disconnected slave backend from network and try to start playback of recorded tv show. After name/ip/port was resolved, playback ended with error "(CPPMyth)__connectAddr: failed to connect (113)". Starting playback of the same show in mythfrontend works well.

My assumption is, that addon should contact master BE with every query. If master BE can't handle query, it will respond with redirection to the slave BE.

Some background:
In my case, slave BE is very slow device and due to this issue playback has very poor performance (because of unnecessary network traffic). Also slave BE has feature to shutdown when idle, in that case playback wouldn't work even if master backend is online.
The REDIRECTION was to collect preview or artwork using WS API. Else always addon use host mentionned in the recording row. So if the backend said use this host [your slave] to play this recording then addon do it. You could change the host handling the recording by updating your backend database:

Code:
update recorded set hostname = 'name of my backend' where chanid=1001 and starttime='2013-12-10 21:30:00';

Also you could have to update storagegroup, basename etc... depending if you have same access path from slave and master.
(2014-12-07, 21:37)mikebetz42 Wrote: Fresh install on new PC

Without the "demuxing MPEG-TS" option enabled playback is unwatchable. Playback of live TV stopping at random.

So root cause is Kodi doesn't handle correctly your stream. What type of stream is ( Your tuner ? analog or digital ... ? ) ? Have you a good enougth signal to avoid hashed stream etc ...
(2014-12-11, 10:38)janbar Wrote: The REDIRECTION was to collect preview or artwork using WS API. Else always addon use host mentionned in the recording row. So if the backend said use this host [your slave] to play this recording then addon do it. You could change the host handling the recording by updating your backend database:

Code:
update recorded set hostname = 'name of my backend' where chanid=1001 and starttime='2013-12-10 21:30:00';

Also you could have to update storagegroup, basename etc... depending if you have same access path from slave and master.

Hi,
I cannot agree with you. Few facts:

- Master backend (which IP is set in addon configuration) has support to provide streaming of recorded tv show even if that recording was done by another backend. This feature is called "master backend override". (see doc)

- In database, each recording has information, which backend recorded it. But this is not the only one backend which can provide file playback!

- Before you made support for redirection, addon was contacting only master backend. Playback of recordings was working, because I have set "master backend override" to true. (I have somewhere old package with addon, I will try to reproduce it again, if needed)

- After you made support for redirection, addon is contacting original backend, which recorded tv show. So you are not giving chance to master backend to play recording (if it has master backend override set). Addon effectively cancels this feature.

- Hacking DB after each recording to provide same function as is already build in mythtv backend is not acceptable.

Is it possible to try add following feature?
1) Addon will contact master backend (ip from addon config) asking for file to play (ignoring backend name from db which originally recorded this file).
2) If master backend can't provide file (can't locate file in any storage group or master backend override is not set) it will response with error or redirection to slave backend.
3) If addon receives error ("file not found", not redirection) from master backend, it should try to contact slave backend based on hostname in database.

If you can provide me some quick patch file with this feature, I can test it on my configuration and give you feedback if this approach works as I expect. After that it can be included in addon. (trying to find out what and where to change in addon sources by my self will take me weeks, so your help is valuable)

Thank you!
(2014-12-11, 12:46)kapitan-iglu Wrote:
(2014-12-11, 10:38)janbar Wrote: The REDIRECTION was to collect preview or artwork using WS API. Else always addon use host mentionned in the recording row. So if the backend said use this host [your slave] to play this recording then addon do it. You could change the host handling the recording by updating your backend database:

Code:

Hi,
I cannot agree with you. Few facts:

- Master backend (which IP is set in addon configuration) has support to provide streaming of recorded tv show even if that recording was done by another backend. This feature is called "master backend override". (see doc)

- In database, each recording has information, which backend recorded it. But this is not the only one backend which can provide file playback!

- Before you made support for redirection, addon was contacting only master backend. Playback of recordings was working, because I have set "master backend override" to true. (I have somewhere old package with addon, I will try to reproduce it again, if needed)

- After you made support for redirection, addon is contacting original backend, which recorded tv show. So you are not giving chance to master backend to play recording (if it has master backend override set). Addon effectively cancels this feature.

- Hacking DB after each recording to provide same function as is already build in mythtv backend is not acceptable.

Is it possible to try add following feature?
1) Addon will contact master backend (ip from addon config) asking for file to play (ignoring backend name from db which originally recorded this file).
2) If master backend can't provide file (can't locate file in any storage group or master backend override is not set) it will response with error or redirection to slave backend.
3) If addon receives error ("file not found", not redirection) from master backend, it should try to contact slave backend based on hostname in database.

If you can provide me some quick patch file with this feature, I can test it on my configuration and give you feedback if this approach works as I expect. After that it can be included in addon. (trying to find out what and where to change in addon sources by my self will take me weeks, so your help is valuable)

Thank you!
About setting "MasterBackendOverride": Yes by default it is checked but really It never worked with cmyth addon: playback was always hashed or broken. So i don't think it will run now with the new. I don't know exactly what is done in the backend. If this feature is correctly implemented why master continue to provides the host of slave ? Instead it should provide its host to stream the recording. I think the reality is this feature was badly implemented.
But as you explain above, it will cost nothing to try streaming from master when slave cannot be connected.
@kaptain-iglu

So the workflow will be:

1 - Addon will contact SLAVE asking for file to play : Already like that
2 - If connect SLAVE failed , then addon will contact MASTER asking for file play : to do (+ 2 lines of code)

EDIT:

1 - Addon will contact SLAVE asking for file to play : Already like that
2 - If connect SLAVE failed , then addon check setting MasterBackendOverride (+ 2 lines of code)
3 - If checked MasterBackendOverride then addon will contact MASTER asking for file play : to do (+ 2 lines of code)

As you can see i reverted order of the workflow because MASTER will feedback always OK on streaming (to be checked), and then addon could wait timeout (60 sec) to estimate the stream fails ! If possible after checking in real life i revert the order.
(2014-12-11, 10:51)janbar Wrote:

So root cause is Kodi doesn't handle correctly your stream. What type of stream is ( Your tuner ? analog or digital ... ? ) ? Have you a good enougth signal to avoid hashed stream etc ...

Ceton Infinitv 4, the signals are fine, and it works great with cmyth.pvr.... just not pvr.mythtv
@kaptain-iglu

you really are lucky ! it was made as you had imagined

Please check the branch https://github.com/janbar/xbmc-pvr-addon...d_override

(2014-12-11, 19:11)mikebetz42 Wrote:
(2014-12-11, 10:51)janbar Wrote:

Ceton Infinitv 4, the signals are fine, and it works great with cmyth.pvr.... just not pvr.mythtv

Yes, but seems the problem here is Kodi not the addon. Could you try the pvr.mythtv for gotham with same XBMC as cmyth ?
@all, i fixed a leak in file operations last night (thanks @barberio). I encourage all of you to update your addon with the last.

- Patch is applied in packages from launchpad for kodi and gotham (respectively: kodi-pvr-mythtv-helix , xbmc-pvr-mythtv )
- From my cloud for Windows and OSX
- Sure from sources !

This bug could crash Kodi/XBMC on small arch: OpenElec , RPI ...

Cause: if you have missing files in backend (artworks or icons) cache operation fails and leak resource.
symptoms could be: cannot open file , disconnection , failed connection ... crash

(2014-12-11, 21:50)janbar Wrote: @kaptain-iglu

(2014-12-11, 19:11)mikebetz42 Wrote:
(2014-12-11, 10:51)janbar Wrote: So root cause is Kodi doesn't handle correctly your stream. What type of stream is ( Your tuner ? analog or digital ... ? ) ? Have you a good enougth signal to avoid hashed stream etc ...

Yes, but seems the problem here is Kodi not the addon. Could you try the pvr.mythtv for gotham with same XBMC as cmyth ?
In your logs you have many failures on file operation caused by missing files in your backend. You are probably affected by the bug above.
Smile 
@all RPI-arm users or non advanced users want test it but cannot compile it

I provide addon 1.10.0 (so last for Helix) for RPI-arm on my cloud: https://www.canneasucre.org/owncloud/pub...4750925043

Note: Reservations to download it are not limited Big Grin

EDIT: I missed, also for XBMC-13 (Gotham) users i provide the version RPI-arm. See folder gotham.
My Kodi profile for Myth pvr plugin:
-compiled the plugin from source as mentioned in the link - http://kodi.wiki/view/MythTV_PVR/BuildFromSource
-checked the "demuxing MPEG-TS" option
-tuner - network tuner HDHomeRun PRIME
-advancesetting xml buffermode=0, cachemembuffersize=1GB (I have it in Mbs) and readbufferfactor=1
But I still land up with frequent freezing of Live TV Video with continuous clear and audible audio.
I hope this helps. I can furnish more info required.
OZooHA
(2014-12-11, 21:50)janbar Wrote: @kaptain-iglu

Thank You, it's perfect! Sorry for reply delay. I will test master backend override support deeper (in different situations) later and let you know results. I'm happy to see this addon is step by step better and xbmc finally become great frontend for mythtv!
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
pvr.mythtv add-on1