Android TV - XBMC Performance
Question 
Hi All,

I have always run XBMC on ATV2 or Raspberry Pi's but I am looking at cutting out the middle man and running it straight on an android Tv.

I have read it's possible as long as the TV is running the right version of Android Os.

What I am wondering about is how well it performs compares to a Pi and ATV2?

Has anyone had any experience running it on a TV, lag issues or playback problems?

I'm looking at this TV https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entert...tv/540124/

Thanks for your input.
If you want performance buy an Intel NUC that outperforms everything in the Android market.

If you dont want a NUC for some reason, then the better than the R-Pi option is the Solidrun CuBox-i2 (dual core) or CuBox-i4 (quad) but they make them in batches and are sold out so you will have to wait for the next run. The CuBox-i performs a lot better than than R-Pi or AppleTV2 and has better codec support too, you run Openelec on it same as you would R-Pi from a micro SD card.

For Android something using the Amlogic S802 chip would be the one to go for as XBMC supports Amlogic natively and the 802 has a good CPU/GPU plus codec support, not sure which ones are sold in Australia but the MiniX Neo X8 series is one of the more popular ones, there are others.

On a side note these are unofficial "Android TV" products running Android tablet OS, Google have an official AndroidTV OS with products using that coming out later this year.
Fantastic information thank you.

I didn't not realise google was making an office AndroidTV OS, would seem a waste to buy a TV with a tablet os if one with a dedicated TV is coming out later.

I'll have a look into some of the other options thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android TV - XBMC Performance0