Linux SAMBA Share Issue
This is not a direct issue with XBMC but it is an issue with a Samba share that my XBMC is accessing so I thought I would ask some of you Linux Gurus to see if you could help me figure it out.

I have two Samba shares on with all my Movies and the Other with my TV Series. I seem to have full permissions on these shares. The problem is I can copy and paste files fine but when I try to copy and paste a directory with files in it I get an error that says I don't have permission. Any Ideas as I organize all my media locally then copy it over to my Samba share here is a copy of the permission I currently have set up in my config.

[Movies]
path = /media/amulder/Movies/Movies
create mode = 0777
directory mode = 0777
directory mask = 0777
create mask = 0777
writeable = yes
; browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777

[TVShows]
path = /media/amulder/TVShows/TVShows
create mode = 0777
directory mode = 0777
directory mask = 0777
create mask = 0777
writeable = yes
; browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
How are you copying?

Personally I copy stuff to my server using rsync or scp (which don't use samba at all).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I just open the share and copy and paste to it I have to keep this simple as My son who is 13 needs to beable to copy stuff to these shares also.
Hi

Can you create a empty directory? Perhaps some directories were created under different iterations of the smb.conf with limited permissions. "chmod -R 777 ." may help here
What are the permissions on the actual share root directories, change them to 777.
I guess you are connecting to shares as guest, if your workstations are logged in with user that does exist on the Samba server (is that the XBMC ?) then you will not be able to connect without password being set in samba for the user - same pass as the workstation.

Look at the samba logs, they should say something meaningful. /var/log/samba ?
Yes I can create an empty directory and I can copy an individual file over the problem comed in when I try to copy a directory over with files in it.
And what error is shown in samba's logs?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SAMBA Share Issue0