• 14(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2015-02-24, 01:26)Orenda Wrote: OK, you already did the test w/o success Sad
And very strange jack/realtek HDMI/Intel interaction Confused
Sure they did something to break w8 usage on chrome box, it can't be only a bug....
I dont give up Cool

it's highly unlikely that anything was done by Intel to intentionally disable HDMI audio. What is more likely is that Windows expects the firmware to setup the hardware in a certain way/state that isn't being done. But we have no idea what, because even when running a checked (debug) version of Windows, you can't do jack without debug mode drivers, which Intel doesn't release. I've been over the datasheets from Intel, and everything looks correct, so I'm at a total loss at this point.
I dont know whether my finding of the audio actually being there is any help.
But it certainly is an additional issue for me.

My Philips TV (and from my research several Philips and Samsung TVs) do not accept analog audio in addition to HDMI
in case HDMI contains an audio signal. Deactivating or uninstalling the driver does not help. There is always this silent audio signal.
Trying the same thing on another PC with an ATI board, deativating HDMI audio actually removes it from the signal -> Meaning the TV accepts analog audio.

Any idea on that one?

-

I am a programmer myself but have very limited knowledge when it comes to bios etc.
I know that some bioses allow deactivation of audio over HDMI.
Could that be added to the SeaBios?
you could build your own firmware from my sources and disable the HDMI audio device if you wanted
I had an initial look on what you put on github and have to admit, that this might be well above my head :-)

Do you have any recommendations on a test setup?

Meaning is there a way to compile the bios and try it out without the risk
of destroying my Chromebox.

Also do you have a hint where to act in terms of HDMI audio deactivation?
Matt,

If it's likely that intel/oem did not customize too deep the haswell chips, we have still some hope... Big Grin

Your july,12 fork at [coreboot.git]/src/mainboard/google/panther/ is the only one I found, so is there any other link to your latest code reported as of 1/29 ?
Also i think you made a zako variant (Kconfig), and did you keep somewhere your mod to disable MEI visibility to the OS ?

It could be fine to get them for some new rebuilds. Angel
(2015-02-24, 17:04)SamWilson Wrote: I had an initial look on what you put on github and have to admit, that this might be well above my head :-)

Do you have any recommendations on a test setup?

Meaning is there a way to compile the bios and try it out without the risk
of destroying my Chromebox.

Also do you have a hint where to act in terms of HDMI audio deactivation?

info on building: http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/deve...chromebook

the HDMI audio device is part of the northbridge, and initialized in minihd.c. You could simply disable/hide the PCI device there.

(2015-02-24, 17:07)Orenda Wrote: Matt,

If it's likely that intel/oem did not customize too deep the haswell chips, we have still some hope... Big Grin

Your july,12 fork at [coreboot.git]/src/mainboard/google/panther/ is the only one I found, so is there any other link to your latest code reported as of 1/29 ?
Also i think you made a zako variant (Kconfig), and did you keep somewhere your mod to disable MEI visibility to the OS ?

It could be fine to get them for some new rebuilds. Angel

not sure what you are referring to, my codebase on github was updated on 01/29 and was synchronized with the upstream coreboot master branch at that time: https://github.com/MattDevo/coreboot/commits/master. If you look at the commit list, you can see where I commented out the line to hide the MEI from the OS. For all four Haswell Chromeboxes (panther, zako, mccloud, tricky), I use the exact same codebase/firmware binary.
Displayport

Just had access to a monitor with DisplayPort and so had to try ChromeBox.
It does not work at all, screen stays black, even at bios level.

Is this normal or does it work for you?
I have a friend with an (i7) HP ChromeBox that doesn't output via DisplayPort at all with his Dell U2414h monitor (which is known to have DP issues), whereas his Dell and Asus boxes work fine with the same monitor. That same HP box also works fine via DP with my Dell WFP2408 and Dell U2410 monitors, so no idea why the HP is problematic with some displays, but you are apparently not alone with the issue
is there a good list of drivers to be used for Windows 8.1 (32/64bit)?

I tried the ones from Brix 2955 but with no apparent luck with:
-ethernet driver (voice under device manager installed correctly but red cross on the systray icon)
-acpi driver (chipset driver) : unknown ACPI driver under device manager list

Atm i'm using Lubuntu with no trouble at all, but I have to admit the support of certain video decoding (H265 especially) is better under Windows with proper DXVA2 or QuickSync usage.
use the Intel Haswell i3 NUC drivers for video, chipset, and ME. Get the Realtek audio drivers from Realtek. You're not going to get QuickSync support unless you have an Acer ChromeBox, as it's the only one with the 2957U (and the 2955U doesn't support it). Also, be sure you are running the latest standalone firmware - older ones do have an unused (dummy) APCI device that there are no drivers for.
Does audio work through Displayport?
no, that's still HDMI audio
any way to make Windows 8 not take up the entire hard drive?
And I tried the realtek drivers for the analog sound. No dice.
My previous attempt to get windows2go to work on the chromebox failed. I subsequently returned the chromebox for a refund.

I have just managed to make another windows2go usb drive, using a sandisk extreme 64gb flash drive. It works fine on my desktop PC and laptop. I have ordered another chromebox and will try again to get it to work on it. I wonder if the reason it didnt work on my last one was due to a hardware error.
Hello Together,

maybe it was asked already, but is there a usb Soundcard which in Kombination of the HDMI gives a proper HDMI Signal with Audio in it?
I imagine somthing with HDMI in where the USB Sound is meged with the HDMI and an HDMI output where altogether goes to my TV.

I hope I was able to explain what I mean.

Best Regards
Vlaves
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4