ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV
(2014-12-08, 07:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Maybe NeoDuck can test Netflix in the Chromebox - Chrome browser and let us know about the PQ?

I ended up going with the Amazon Fire TV. I think it's awesome and plenty fast to run XBMC. I have a collection of over 2000 videos and some are 30gb rips. They all play just fine on my plasma TV. I don't notice any 3:2 pulldown issues or anything?

And Netflix works in HD because the AFTV Launcher is still in tact after rooting and installing XBMC.

My XBMC is just setup with everything at default.
Congrats, sounds like you found what "fit the bill" for your needs!
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
Ha Ha chris

Good feedback NeoDuck. Smile
A nice proven integrated media Box the AFTV that does not cost a lots of "Bills" either !

I'm going to add the Zotac BI320 to thread as it has the same CPU microarchitecture (Haswell) as the Chromebox

Chromebox + single boot Openelec + Chromium Web Browser: (No DRM content like Netflix etc. however)
http://openelec.tv/forum/chromium-browser

Chromebox + dual boot Openelec / Chrome OS = full spec Chrome web browser (for DRM Netflix)
(compatible keyboard needed for dual boot)

Zotac BI320 + Win 8.1 + Kodi + full Web Browser + Windows Store = Kodi, Netflix and Hulu apps and a lot more in a single boot configuration.

Quote:Zotac extras compared to a Chromebox:
=========================
- 64GB SSD vs 16GB SSD
- Can mount a 2.5" SATA3 6.0 Gb/s HDD internally
- Headphone and Mic ports
- Toslink port for S/PDIF output
- Intel Quick Sync Video technology (Intel Celeron 2957U vs 2955U)
- No Bluetooth V4.0 or WiFi tho, just buy cheap usb dongles
- $100 Windows 8.1
- Powercord changeable cheaply for a local compatible power supply socket. (HP Chromebox the same, not ASUS)

Smile

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1876287

That is pretty sweet for approx 200US., everything you need, ready to go.
(2015-01-12, 04:55)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm going to add the Zotac BI320 to thread as it has the same CPU microarchitecture (Haswell) as the Chromebox

Chromebox + single boot Openelec + Chromium Web Browser: (No DRM content like Netflix etc. however)
http://openelec.tv/forum/chromium-browser

Chromebox + dual boot Openelec / Chrome OS = full spec Chrome web browser (for DRM Netflix)
(compatible keyboard needed for dual boot)

Zotac BI320 + Win 8.1 + Kodi + full Web Browser + Windows Store = Kodi, Netflix and Hulu apps and a lot more in a single boot configuration.

Zotac extras compared to a Chromebox:
=========================
- 64GB SSD vs 16GB SSD
- Can mount a 2.5" SATA3 6.0 Gb/s HDD internally
- Headphone and Mic ports
- Toslink port for S/PDIF output
- Intel Quick Sync Video technology
- No Bluetooth V4.0 or WiFi tho, just buy cheap usb dongles
- $100 Windows 8.1
- Powercord changeable cheaply for a local compatible power supply socket. (HP Chromebox the same, not ASUS)

Smile

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1876287

Though worth noting that in some territories you can only get the Barebones Zotac BI320 which doesn't have Windows with Bing, doesn't have the 64GB SSD, and doesn't have an mSATA slot to fit one, so you only have the single SATA port. So you have to buy a 2.5" SSD or HDD, some RAM, a WiFi/Bluetooth card (if you need that) and run OpenElec or purchase a full Windows licence on the Barebones one.

It appears that UK re-sellers incorrectly sold the Barebones model whilst quoting the Windows with Bing model's specs...
indeed noggin you are correct but after much thought I decided to keep mine and stuck 120Gb SSD drive and 4Gb ram. Currently running it as dual boot with openelec and windows. Openelec as default for media playback and then windows for other stuff. Boots really fast and is pretty much silent. Will test media playback over the next few days and report back.
(2014-12-16, 21:06)NeoDuck Wrote:
(2014-12-08, 07:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Maybe NeoDuck can test Netflix in the Chromebox - Chrome browser and let us know about the PQ?

I ended up going with the Amazon Fire TV. I think it's awesome and plenty fast to run XBMC. I have a collection of over 2000 videos and some are 30gb rips. They all play just fine on my plasma TV. I don't notice any 3:2 pulldown issues or anything?

And Netflix works in HD because the AFTV Launcher is still in tact after rooting and installing XBMC.

Hi Neoduck,
Did you have any issue with the size of the internal memory. I am about to order the Amazon Fire TV and was just going to side load Kodi, not thinking of rooting it.
(2015-01-12, 15:11)vjmcdonnell Wrote:
(2014-12-16, 21:06)NeoDuck Wrote:

Hi Neoduck,
Did you have any issue with the size of the internal memory. I am about to order the Amazon Fire TV and was just going to side load Kodi, not thinking of rooting it.

8GB storage is fine if you're only using Kodi with just movies and TV. There's about 5gb free out of the box.

I estimate 5gb is enough to scrape about 4000-5000 video files and store all movie posters, thumbnails, actor images, etc. But, not trailers. However, I have mine set up with a USB hub and a spare 2.5" USB drive. I have a lot of other Kodi addons running and set all of them to use the ext HDD as a cache location.

I've also finished setting up my Chromebox as a triple boot system: ChromeOS > OpenElecKodi > Windows 8.1

One thing I don't like about the Chromebox is that it DOES NOT USE standard MSATA SSD drives. The slot is more narrow. The "standard" MSATA SSD width is actually the same width as the slot where the Wi-Fi card is plugged into.

Has anyone tried removing the WiFi card and plugging in a "standard" width MSATA SSD in its place?

My gut tells me that it won't work because the SATA controller probably isn't hooked into that slot but you never know! The "standard" width MSATA SSD's are pretty cheap now, about $40-50 for 64gb. It would be nice if it worked.
These would work in a Chromebox
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MyDigitalSSD-128...1436078223
(2015-01-15, 03:15)NeoDuck Wrote: 8GB storage is fine if you're only using Kodi with just movies and TV.

I estimate 8gb is enough to scrape about 4000-5000 video files and store all movie posters, thumbnails, actor images, etc. But, not trailers. However, I have mine set up with a USB hub and a spare 2.5" USB drive. I have a lot of other Kodi addons running and set all of them to use the ext HDD as a cache location.

I've also finished setting up my Chromebox as a triple boot system: ChromeOS > OpenElecKodi > Windows 8.1

One thing I don't like about the Chromebox is that it DOES NOT USE standard MSATA SSD drives. The slot is more narrow. The "standard" MSATA SSD width is actually the same width as the slot where the Wi-Fi card is plugged into.

Has anyone tried removing the WiFi card and plugging in a "standard" width MSATA SSD in its place?

My gut tells me that it won't work because the SATA controller probably isn't hooked into that slot but you never know! The "standard" width MSATA SSD's are pretty cheap now, about $40-50 for 64gb. It would be nice if it worked.

it's uses "standard" m.2 sata drives, which are priced comparably to m.sata format drives. the wiki is helpful here
(2015-01-15, 04:28)Matt Devo Wrote: it's uses "standard" m.2 sata drives, which are priced comparably to m.sata format drives. the wiki is helpful here

Thanks!

You mean wiki for the Chrome Box?
yes, the very one linked in my signature Smile
(2015-01-15, 07:30)Matt Devo Wrote: yes, the very one linked in my signature Smile

Cool! I didn't even know it had one. I see the specs in the upgrades section.

So, if I upgraded the internal SSD, could I put Windows 8.1 on there and have it boot by default into Windows?

I'm currently triple booting: ChromeOS > OpenElec > Win8.1Pro
I don't believe you'd be able to setup a triple boot with ChromeOS, OE, and Win8.1 all on the internal SSD - ChromeOS's partition layout wouldn't support it. You could certainly dual boot Win8.1 and OpenELEC, though obviously Win8.1 has some limitations compared to other boxes with the same hardware (which are outlined in the wiki).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASUS Chromebox OR Amazon Fire TV0