• 11(current)
Google Nexus Player
This is awesome to hear that it's working! It would be awesome to see a fully working version of Kodi for Android TV released even if it was unofficial but an official version would be better.
(2014-11-08, 01:03)drewg Wrote:
(2014-11-07, 22:46)hdmkv Wrote: Can you test speed via USB ethernet? Curious how fast.

I see about 80Mb/s with a http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support...rs/USB300M
as reported by netperf -tTCP_MAERTS running to a netperf server running on my fileserver.

Notes

1) this is a 10/100 adapter
2) this USB adapter is plugged into a wireless bridge (with antennas, so it gets a far better signal than the nexus)
3) this is the same speed reported by the same version of netperf running on my SageTV HD300 box, which is plugged into the same wireless bridge.
4) the HD300 reported 94Mb/s when I lived in my old house with a hard wired ethernet jack by the TV. So the wireless bridge is costing something.
Good to see, thanks for testing. As I already have 4 FTV's (got some for as low as $70), I may get a Nexus Player when its on sale for around $80... I do like its home screen UI over Amazon's.

BTW, I got a kick out of you mentioning SageTV HD300. I had both the HD200 and HD300 at one point. They were definitely unique streamers. Too bad Google didn't really port over some of SageTV's great features to Android TV platform after they acquired them.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-11-08, 10:07)Link_of_Hyrule Wrote: This is awesome to hear that it's working! It would be awesome to see a fully working version of Kodi for Android TV released even if it was unofficial but an official version would be better.

Kodi is released for x86 android and arm android. How more official can you get?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
There are specific changes to make it work properly on the Android TV platform but right now they are using work arounds.
After a half night and half day with xbmc and nexus player, it seems to crash a lot more then my nexus 5. I had it crash on me 5 times in a stream. Tried the latest kodi and it seems to be same.

does anyone else with the nexus player experience crashes during video play? and is there any special playback settings i should be messing with? I'm using default right now.
(2014-11-08, 21:25)Link_of_Hyrule Wrote: There are specific changes to make it work properly on the Android TV platform but right now they are using work arounds.

What are these specific changes?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-11-08, 22:02)nickr Wrote:
(2014-11-08, 21:25)Link_of_Hyrule Wrote: There are specific changes to make it work properly on the Android TV platform but right now they are using work arounds.

What are these specific changes?

the changes that several people spammed all over the forum pointing to official google docs. we simply have not added this yet because we don't have any device running the final Android 5.0 version yet.
No dev wants to brick his device by install some unoffical version
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yeah that's understandable that the code hasn't been updated since the platform was just released. I also understand that the developers wouldn't want to install unofficial versions of Android on their devices. Fortunately the Android SDK includes an Android TV image that can be run in the emulator included with the sdk that can be used to test builds. The changes are more Android TV specific than Android 5.0 specific. I have the official Android 5.0 preview on my Nexus 7 and it seems to work fine on it but Android TV requires a work around to launch the app. Anyways I'm sure once there are more people with Nexus Players and other Android TV devices the devs will be able to more easily make the needed changes. Please note Google TV and Android TV are completely different and Android TV is a lot closer to stock Android 5.0 in terms of how apps run so getting things to work should be simpler.

Anyways keep up the amazing work! I'm looking forward to Kodi 14 being released and hopefully on the Google Play Store.
Our target is to not create special APK files for Android TV. All should work out of the box for our default APK files.
Since only one dev has such a device and he has limited time and works on the audio part, we cannot say if or when it will be added. The platform is still fresh so don't expect miracles.

Haven't tried it but I always have my doubt about such emulators. Besides i'm sure there a more non team devs out there that could create a patch and send it to our github for review.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The community has a lot of good members so I'm sure they'll figure it out. I'm not completely sure but it could be possible that a separate APK isn't required that the app just dynamically switches similar to how it would when run on a tablet vs a phone. Obviously Kodi doesn't really switch to a different interface for each device currently but I simply mean that's how android apps work in general.
(2014-11-08, 21:52)hermit Wrote: After a half night and half day with xbmc and nexus player, it seems to crash a lot more then my nexus 5. I had it crash on me 5 times in a stream. Tried the latest kodi and it seems to be same.

does anyone else with the nexus player experience crashes during video play? and is there any special playback settings i should be messing with? I'm using default right now.

What are the sources of the stream?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2014-11-08, 21:52)hermit Wrote: After a half night and half day with xbmc and nexus player, it seems to crash a lot more then my nexus 5. I had it crash on me 5 times in a stream. Tried the latest kodi and it seems to be same.

Need to disable Mediacodec from what I have read else where. Enable expert settings and then its under acceleration.
(2014-11-06, 17:03)drewg Wrote: Yes, I will try a thumb drive. What format is best? Ext4? Fat? NTFS?.

So, from adb, the kernel sees the thumb drive:
Code:
<5>[36257.236728] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 30489408 512-byte logical blocks: (15.6 GB/14.5 GiB)
<5>[36257.237184] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
<7>[36257.237193] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
<3>[36257.237558] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
<3>[36257.237565] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
<3>[36257.240813] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
<3>[36257.240822] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
<6>[36257.262468]  sda: sda1
<3>[36257.265446] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
<3>[36257.265456] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
<5>[36257.265464] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

But nothing mounts it. There is no /dev/sda1 entry created. I manually created a device node for it & mounted it:
Code:
mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1    
mkdir /mnt/obb/mnt
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/obb/mnt

Once I did that, I was able to play a BD rip from there.

I'm not familiar with android tools. There is probably a nicer way to mount things Smile

(2014-11-08, 15:49)hdmkv Wrote: BTW, I got a kick out of you mentioning SageTV HD300. I had both the HD200 and HD300 at one point. They were definitely unique streamers. Too bad Google didn't really port over some of SageTV's great features to Android TV platform after they acquired them.

The SageTV product was rolled into Google Fiber as its DVR software. There are screenshots in the SageTV forums of the Google Fiber TV boxes showing their version as "SageTV 8.xx.xx".

I'm basically looking for a small, low-power embedded xbmc box that can replace my HD300 when it dies. I really don't want to go back to a media PC by the TV. Given the Nexus player's horrific 1080i support, it is apparently not a viable option. How does the FireTV handle 1080i mpeg2?

Thanks!

Drew
When I disable mediacodec, some of the BD rips that did not play before (like game of thrones) play. 1080i mpeg2 seems a bit better, but 720 seems worse. Maybe it is the placebo affect, since I think all are done in s/w.
(2014-11-08, 22:41)Topken Wrote:

Need to disable Mediacodec from what I have read else where. Enable expert settings and then its under acceleration.

Sorry for the late reply wanted to fully test before I reported back.

I disabled mediacodec, still crashed. but then i switched to software mode and no crash all night or this morning.

Thank you Topken
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7