[Solved] XBMC showing halfway between two screens on dual monitor setup
I'm running Ubuntu 14.10 with dual monitors. The primary one is my monitor (1920x1200 resolution) and the secondary one is my TV (1920x1080). I have NVidia graphics card running on the proprietary drivers. I'd like have xbmc running fullscreen on my secondary monitor (the TV). However, when two monitors are both enabled and I start xbmc, I get this: Image.
Half of the xbmc window is on my primary monitor and half is on the secondary monitor.

I tried this to fix the problem but it didn't work. The result with that script is exactly the same. It seems that wmctrl doesn't do anything.

Now I'm circumventing the problem by just turning the primary screen off every time I want to use xbmc, but this is a pain in the ass since I always have to go to the nvidia settings tool to do this.

EDIT: The problem was solved by installing non-mainstream version of xbmc from the source linked by black_eagle below.
Two options - Use a Kodi build which does proper multi-monitor support under Linux or add this ppa https://launchpad.net/~aap/+archive/ubun...ernetmenta and install from there, which will give you 13.2 with proper multi-monitor support.

Once either of these are installed you should be able to go into settings -> system -> Video Output -> Monitor and choose which output you want to use.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-10-26, 12:19)black_eagle Wrote: Two options - Use a Kodi build which does proper multi-monitor support under Linux or add this ppa https://launchpad.net/~aap/+archive/ubun...ernetmenta and install from there, which will give you 13.2 with proper multi-monitor support.

Once either of these are installed you should be able to go into settings -> system -> Video Output -> Monitor and choose which output you want to use.

I am using 13.2. In display mode, I can select either "Full screen #1" or "Windowed". The only setting besides this that might be relevant to my problem is the option "blank other displays", but enabling or disabling it does nothing.
Read again what he has written. You won't get any dual monitor functionaly with mainline 13.2 release.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-10-26, 16:23)fritsch Wrote: Read again what he has written. You won't get any dual monitor functionaly with mainline 13.2 release.

Thanks, I got it now. I installed the FernetMenta release of xbmc and everything seems to be working now. They should really push this functionality to mainstream release also. Thanks anyway, the problem is solved!
Will be in helix. It was decided against it for Gotham.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] XBMC showing halfway between two screens on dual monitor setup0