remote control. PS3 or IR
I'm very much torn between getting a ps3 remote or a normal ir remote.

I'm leaning towards a ps3 remote because it's bluetooth. However 2 things are unknown for me:
will it work properly under win 8.1 (with hibernate functionality). Will it stay working or do i need to keep fiddling with it every now and again.
In other words, is it maintenance free after initial setup.

Alternatively i might go with a MCE remote, but then i would need to get some ir receiver that can receive from multiple directions (any suggestions?)

Lastly I could consider rf, but it needs to be able to work with wifi interference and be cheap (i.e. under 25 $)

i've been reading alot and there is a lot of usefull info, but not very recent though. Any help is much appreciated.
I'm not aware of any fully working remote so all my xbmc setups are using keyboards (k400/dinovo mini/dinovo edge). But if you insist on using a remote then go with the ps3 remote(config is a pita but will work well), the best ir remote is harmony (one/one+/touch/ultimate/700/900/1100 etc).and it's barely working, it's laggy requites a lot of config and costs you a bunch + in most cases where you didn't empty your wallet you'll be stuck with a ugly ir receiver.
flirc and xbox one remote
Mce remotes work best for me. Ps3 remote requires more config. Easiest way is to use a mce receiver,a cheap harmony remote and assighn mce keyboard keys to the harmony buttons. The dell receivers work great.
(2014-11-05, 00:02)RaggSokk3n Wrote: the best ir remote is harmony (one/one+/touch/ultimate/700/900/1100 etc).and it's barely working, it's laggy requites a lot of config and costs you a bunch + in most cases where you didn't empty your wallet you'll be stuck with a ugly ir receiver.

Huh? I have a harmony 700 and have never noticed any lag in windows or Linux and its works wonderfully...Yeah they can be a bit long winded to setup but that's the price you pay for such customizarion abilities. You can get decent lookimg ir receivers for under $20, and they generally include a MCE remote for that price.

OP: a MCE remote/ receiver is pretty much plug and play - on windows I used xbmccustomregis to get it working with xbmc. I can point my harmony in any direction and it will be picked up with a Phillips receiver.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remote control. PS3 or IR0