• 17(current)
Sumvision Cyclone X4
@bobones, should I leave the sd card as bootable or should I format as normal?
It won't matter.
Thanks bobones, I got it going. I have another one to install. I am wondering where to get the latest stable update. I must say the openelec android version is a lot slicker and well worth it.
The images are at http://amlinux.ru/image/ the latest stable is 5.0.0 but soon to be replaced with 5.0.1 which will have 14.1 kodi

The development and test releases work fine, but some of them might not have the correct bootloader so it's an idea to use TWRP to flash the OE update.zip image and the bootloader.zip from my dropbox at the same time. Once you've flashed OpenELEC for the 1st time the safest way to update is to copy the .tar image to \\openelec\update and reboot the box.

You can also take a TWRP backup of a box when you've set it up as you want then restore the backup to a new box to get the same configuration.
I will go with the last suggestion of using the twrp backup, thanks for all your help.
@bobones I seen a photo earlier in the thread with the case off. How did you get it off. The SD card is stuck in it and I can hear it rattling around in there.
The top cover just snaps on and the easiest way to remove it is to insert a screwdriver or similar into the ethernet port an lever the top cover upwards. There are 2 screws to detach the board from the base.
(2015-02-04, 13:36)bobones Wrote: The top cover just snaps on and the easiest way to remove it is to insert a screwdriver or similar into the ethernet port an lever the top cover upwards. There are 2 screws to detach the board from the base.

Cheers, got it sorted.
Hi folks new to this box and have no prior android experience so please be gentle.

Bought this based on the spec because it looked perfect, my experience has been less than perfect though, far less.

I have a question about the resolution. No matter what I do I cannot get either the stock XBMC 14.0 Alpha or Kodi 14.1 to give me a 1080p output. I have tried on a few TV's and the underlying android always defaults to 720p50 when set to auto. I can manually set it to 1080p50 in android and then play 1080p files with MXPlayer and the stock video player at full res with no problem, but xbmc/kodi refuse to do it. In the kodi settings for video it says 'Windowed mode' and 1280x720p but it is greyed out so there is no way to change it. I can play 1080p50 files but the are scaled and the resolution is only 720p.

My tablet with kodi installed reports 'Windowed mode' but at 1920x1200p resolution.

Reading around there are hints that it could be the android firmware (I am using the latest 02/02/15 rooted build) supplied by sumvision causing kodi to default to a lower res. What do you think about this and would a custom firmware build like you are using fix this issue?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
@lstar337 I haven't used the new f/w but there was no problem with the old f/w and the factory supplied xbmc with 1080p although the xbmc system info page would always report 1920 x 1080 even at 720. Have you ran any test videos to ensure it's not 1080p getting output?)

I no longer use Android on these boxes so I can't really be of much help other than to suggest you run OpenELEC instead of Android if you care only about Kodi performance. If you really need other Android apps then perhaps OpenELEC is not for you.

With OE you get booted straight into Kodi, a much faster UI, auto refresh rate switching including 24p, DD + DTS pass though (non HD), selectable s/w only decoding for non-HD content, HECV hardware decoding to 1080p (no 4K on S805). 2 extra buttons on stock remote for Kodi use (mouse and home) + excellent developer support from Kerber who produces new builds on an almost daily basis. The latest stable build is OpenELEC 5.0.1 incorporating Kodi 14.1. If you're interested I'll give you some fresh instructions on how to get it onto your box,
(2015-02-05, 16:01)bobones Wrote: @lstar337 I haven't used the new f/w but there was no problem with the old f/w and the factory supplied xbmc with 1080p although the xbmc system info page would always report 1920 x 1080 even at 720. Have you ran any test videos to ensure it's not 1080p getting output?)
I didn't keep the original firmware for long because it seemed clunky, seemed to be locked to shanghai for the location, and full of Chinese options that were getting in the way. The original firmware did default to 720p50 when set to 'auto' in android, but could be set to 1080p50 in manual.

The new firmware will let me play 1080p50 files in MXPlayer, they are reported as such by the software. Kodi (and XBMC 14 Alpha) report that the playback is at 720p resolution. If I use the TV it says 1080p because the connection between the stock android and the TV is 1080p as set in the firmware. Kodi will not allow me to change from 1280x720p in the 'video' section of the program settings.

In effect I have kodi working at 720p, android upscaling to 1080p, and then ouptut to the TV. I can't find a combination of settings that will get me a 1080p output from XBMC/kodi, in spite of it being printed on the packaging! This box is really damned frustrating!

(2015-02-05, 16:01)bobones Wrote: I no longer use Android on these boxes so I can't really be of much help other than to suggest you run OpenELEC instead of Android if you care only about Kodi performance. If you really need other Android apps then perhaps OpenELEC is not for you.
Only interested in kodi tbh. I used to have a WDTV Live with custom firmware. It has worked faultlessly for must be at least 6 years plus, but it is simple. I love the features of kodi but refuse to have some behemoth clunking around under my TV! I thought this box was the answer to my prayers, but it could turn out as the elevator of my blood pressure!

(2015-02-05, 16:01)bobones Wrote: With OE you get booted straight into Kodi, a much faster UI, auto refresh rate switching including 24p, DD + DTS pass though (non HD), selectable s/w only decoding for non-HD content, HECV hardware decoding to 1080p (no 4K on S805). 2 extra buttons on stock remote for Kodi use (mouse and home) + excellent developer support from Kerber who produces new builds on an almost daily basis. The latest stable build is OpenELEC 5.0.1 incorporating Kodi 14.1. If you're interested I'll give you some fresh instructions on how to get it onto your box,
I am so unfamiliar with this. I am thinking of doing it, but the thought is kind of daunting! Could you write me some instructions and I'll take a look and see if I feel confident?

Sorry, I don't want to waste your time.
Another problem I have with the stock droid firmware.

I have 4 2TB drives filled with TV/Movies, if I set up a source in kodi and then remove a drive or two and then put them back, android has changed the paths and the library is full of broken links!

This is because android is naming them sda1, sdb1, sdc1, and so on, but it names them based on which ever one is plugged in first! So if I plug in a movie drive first it gets called sda1, but if next time I plug in a TV drive first then that gets called sda1, and all the library links are broken and the sources have to be removed and added again. This takes a long time when you have 8TB worth of files!

The windows version of kodi does not do this, the library links are not broken no matter where/when you plug in the drives!

Has anybody experienced this?
So do I get the files I need from your dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2ve7ves5dq7u7...R1JQa?dl=0

I have an sdcard waiting I just need to know what to do. Big Grin
If I flash with OpenElec, will it matter that my drives are all NTFS?
Not sure about NTFS - think it will work but better to use NAS.

OK, you need some of that stuff. You also need a USB keyboard/mouse to work with TWRP, Here is what I suggest

Put this http://amlinux.ru/target/OpenELEC-Amlogi...update.zip and the contents of the "original bootloader" folder on the SD card (fat32) so you have 3 files: bootloader.zip, recovery.img and the openelec-update.zip file on the SD. That recovery.img is the TWRP recovery program.

Plug in your USB mouse, insert the SD, and reboot into recovery mode using whatever method works (pressing menu key on remote, typing reboot recovery at shell).

Use TWRP Backup to take a backup of your entire Android ROM (not really necessary but easy to revert if you have this)

Use TWRP to erase cache and Davlik cache (not sure if this is necessary)

Use TWRP Install and add openelec-update.zip then the bootloader.zip and flash them at the same time.

Reboot (don't add supersu) and you should get to Kodi desktop

Enable your wireless lan if required in System/OpenELEC/Connections in Kodi (note your IP address)

Copy the remote.conf file from my dropbox to \\openelec\configfiles or \\x.x.x.x\configfiles where x.x.x.x is your IP address.

Restart the box by going to power button or just power cycle it. The stock remote should now work and the power button will suspend/resume.

Note if you don't flash the bootloader.zip you will end up with non-functioning box (easy to fix tho) because Kerber's new bootloader doesn't work in X4

I think that's it.

Use TWRP restore to go back to android if you want to.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sumvision Cyclone X42