Performance need for makemkv
hi,

how much performance is needed for makemkv to run smoothly?
is a raspberry pi or an other embeded system enough or do i need more?

regards.
I believe makemkv transcodes videos, so will need to decode and encode the video stream.
It won't make use of hardware acceleration (on embedded platforms).

It will take a long long time on anything less powerful than a desktop class PC (and will still be slow on a fast PC).
Makemkv does not transcode. But in any event I don't think makemkv runs on arm

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6632
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
hm, bad news.

i thought it is possible with e.g. openelec to play blurays on a media center.
is it, or do i need windows and powerdvd or the like to play blurays?
Use MakeMKV to make a MKV file of your BluRay and then media centres will play this file.
MakeMKV is for making a 1:1 video file of the Bluray disc. For playback on devices. It basically dumps the video and audio into h264 and whatever the source audio stream that you select is.
MakeMKV does have a UPnP streaming option, it allows you to play the (main title) disc over the network from a UPnP/DLNA client.

MakeMKV also allows programs to plug into it's decryption engine giving the ability of playing discs with MakeMKV running in the background but obviously only Win/Linux PC's and Mac's run MakeMKV and Kodi would have to support the system too.
so all threads about playing bluray are about playing rippd BD not direct from the disc?
or is there any chance e.g. an addon that runs powerdvd or somting in the backround from within kodi userinterface?
(2014-11-14, 22:06)nickr Wrote: Makemkv does not transcode. But in any event I don't think makemkv runs on arm

You are correct. They describe it as a "transcoder" which is usually used to mean it converts the video format, which confused me.
But in reality it is a remuxer (changes container format without touching video) that can remove the encryption.

As such it may be possible to run on low end devices (like the Pi) in reasonable time.
Looks like source code is available so it could be built for Raspberry Pi, but on a quick search I couldn't find anyone who had done this.
(2014-11-15, 13:35)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-11-14, 22:06)nickr Wrote: Makemkv does not transcode. But in any event I don't think makemkv runs on arm

You are correct. They describe it as a "transcoder" which is usually used to mean it converts the video format, which confused me.
But in reality it is a remuxer (changes container format without touching video) that can remove the encryption.

As such it may be possible to run on low end devices (like the Pi) in reasonable time.
Looks like source code is available so it could be built for Raspberry Pi, but on a quick search I couldn't find anyone who had done this.

A Remux is not resource hungry. It's just limited by the I/O speed of your Hard Drives. There are other tools not requiring a Windows environment that will Remux the BD, like TSMuxer, but then you'll run into the problem of defeating DRM.

I don't think you'll find a solution for ripping copy protected BDs or DVDs with an ARM box, You'd be better off with Ubuntu/MakeKMV and something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
(2014-11-15, 11:00)Starstream Wrote: MakeMKV also allows programs to plug into it's decryption engine giving the ability of playing discs with MakeMKV running in the background but obviously only Win/Linux PC's and Mac's run MakeMKV and Kodi would have to support the system too.

Xbmc can indeed use that method. There is a thread here somewhere ...
Edit:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?pid=...pid1506605

(2014-11-15, 06:48)Topken Wrote: MakeMKV is for making a 1:1 video file of the Bluray disc. For playback on devices. It basically dumps the video and audio into h264 and whatever the source audio stream that you select is.

Not necessarily h264. It dumps whatever codecs is on the disc, which may be mpeg2, vc1 or h264.

(2014-11-15, 13:35)popcornmix Wrote:

No not all the source is available. Makemkv for Linux comes in two parts, a binary closed source part and an open source part. I don't think the binary is released for arm.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Performance need for makemkv0