Android AFTV - totally confused about cache settings
Question 
Hello together,

I hope someone here could help me out. I readed I guess all caching threads regarding Fire TV here in the Forum and I read the WIKI article regarding this topic.

In the Article it sais:
Quote:A safe setting for most devices with 1GB of RAM that should help most users "on the edge". All protocols get cached, cache rate fills up pretty much as fast as possible, and cache size is 150MB, using 400MB of ram total.
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>157286400</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

So i set that settings. Now it takes ages for some full blu-ray rips to cache, after some time, there appears the message that the cache is full and couldn't fill all the data needed.

I don't know now which value to increase. As far as I could see, with the latest Kodi nightly, which I use, the AFTV is able to play back easily a whole blu-ray rip. But network caching or the network stack of the AFTV is the problem.

Now what settings to use? Shouldn't the above settings from the WIKI be good?

Please give me an advice what to adjust.

Regards
Vlaves
Hello together,

another thought: Would it be better to deactivate caching at all. This box should be capable of playing a blu-ray rip (REMUX) instantly without any problem or stutter. In which component is the problem?

What could I do to diagnose things better?

Thanks again for all your support and help.

Regards
Vlaves
I was also playing with those caching settings.
From yesterday on (fifteenth of November) I found that no caching works way better than anything I tried to put into advancedsettings.xml.
So try to use the latest Kodi nightly without any networkcache at all.
Cool, thanks for the tip, will try today. Smile
(2014-11-15, 12:19)Kaiserlein Wrote: I was also playing with those caching settings.
From yesterday on (fifteenth of November) I found that no caching works way better than anything I tried to put into advancedsettings.xml.
So try to use the latest Kodi nightly without any networkcache at all.

I could test it, but sadly it didn't help much. But I hope it will get fixed with the final Kodi release.
Or is the real problem with the AFTV?

Regards
Vlaves
It's either that the server is slow, or that Kodi is incorrectly interpreting how fast things are loading somehow, and isn't automatically playing when it should. You can force Kodi to just start playing things back, and regardless of the message that pops up, if it plays then everything is fine. The cache settings shouldn't prevent the video from playing back as long as the issue isn't a slow server/file host.
(2014-11-16, 03:19)Ned Scott Wrote: It's either that the server is slow, or that Kodi is incorrectly interpreting how fast things are loading somehow, and isn't automatically playing when it should. You can force Kodi to just start playing things back, and regardless of the message that pops up, if it plays then everything is fine. The cache settings shouldn't prevent the video from playing back as long as the issue isn't a slow server/file host.

Thanks for reply Smile That's also an Idea. Will try to check that. But the NAS didn't change. It is a HP X312, running Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials. It always worked very good. I have a small Mini-ITX System (Celeron 847, Openelec) on the same Ethernet cable to test Network. This System plays perfectly any Blu-ray rip I have.

So how can I check what Kodi is interpreting on the AFTV? Or is there a way to force Kodi to interpret how fast things are loading?

Thanks again for any hint and your help.

Regards
Vlaves
If Kodi is pausing for too long, but you can simply press play to force it to play without waiting to buffer, and not have issues, then Kodi is misinterpreting or miscalculating when it needs to pause for buffer.

The idea is Kodi is trying to buffer enough so that it doesn't have to pause later on, which would be frustrating if the program kept buffering every few seconds. So it tries to do all the buffering all at once if it thinks there will be more buffering before playback has finished.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AFTV - totally confused about cache settings0