Revo3610
Is there any better setup than Openelec on a Revo 3610 and if so is it worth an upgrade?
what are your needs...

digital audio
3d
24p
auto refresh rate
power consumtion
speed

what price range are you looking at?
how much can you get the Revo 3610 ?
are you in the EU where android is not the ideal solution and hence you can skip pass the andorid boxes

what do you currently have so we can compare to revo and give you an answer to if its worthy of an upgrade...
Hi MediaPi, my needs are all of the above apart from 3d. Price range about £200. At the moment I have my Revo { main box } and a Ouya. Don't have much clue as to what I could get for the Revo and I want to avoid android! I am in the UK
I misunderstood your intial question. So you already own the Revo. I'm not really in a position to say if anything is better than the Revo but I have heard that chromebox is the best bang per buck, unless you get a good deal on Revo. But I think the only thing the chromebox has over the Revo s power consumption, so my best guess is you would not notice any difference in performance/quality. so no, theres no need to upgrade.

I would wait another year before deciding to upgrade, maybe then it would be worth an upgrade. Revos and chromeboxes are pretty amazing.
Thanks MediaPi, its as I thought. Really just itching to try something new!
I get the upgrade urge once in a while, and it's simply because my Revos have sat there for so long, never complaining, getting used every day and generally being truly utilitarian little beasts: eventually, the technogreed gets you, since everything else needs upgrading every 24 months. Then reality bites, and I remember that I'm yet to see anything that demands an upgrade - 3D works, BR rips @ 24fps, as many audio channels as I have speakers, etc.

I treated mine to SSD upgrades some time ago, so I forget if there was ever any kind of boot/operation lag. If I had one criticism - and it's just one - it's the fan noise, so I've considered peering at the heatsink and thermal coupling to see if it's easily improved, or if there's the practical option of a bigger, slower fan. That said, I just built a cupboard under the television for my main system, and that helped shut it up nicely.

If I *had* to upgrade, I'd look at NUCs, Chromeboxes and Brixes. You can get a decent SFF box for >£100ish plus a disc and RAM - but I don't foresee going down this road until HEVC/H.265 takes off in a big way.
stumbled across xbmc over 2 years ago. I've had a Pi only. I've learnt that you can get more out of the hardware you got by learning how to use XBMC. I've almostly complety mastered keymapping, just need to learn how to use python more so I can do more.

I use an addon called Super Favourites by spoyser to better manage addons
I use (and guessing 99% of people do) a pirated addon that can stream anything I want.

I would really invest in some time to learn how to map keys. chose a different skin, that can make it feel like something new!! infact some skins do alot more than others.

I have a weird laugh in my mind everytime I pick up my remote and use XBMC. to think I paid in total about £50 for my Pi with accessories and have access to the western worlds entertainment catalogue.

my advice is to ask around for tips to utilise XBMC to its potential...seriously theres always something to learn and you think wow. Smile
What would you say is the best skin for a revo? I have only ever used Confluence. And thanks for the replies!
Download them and try them, everyone has personal preference. They're free you know '-)
best advice from t2ffn, try all of them.
all skins are located in xmc(kodi).org repo, should be in skins. have a look and install and see if you like the extra eye candy, skins are not made for a specific hardware, but depending on your hardware you might not be able to run the skins that are really demanding (on cpu). But you can chuck anything on a revo and it will handle it so you got everything to chose from. If I had a Revo I would try aeon nox skin, very nice eye candy, but it'll take a little while to learn what a skin can do so be patient...you might end up going back to confluence..but you'll have fun trying.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo36100