H.265/HEVC, SPMC & Fire TV
Hi,
I know that SPMC has (experimental?) support for H.265/HEVC on a limited number of systems, but I can't seem to figure out if the Fire TV is supported for H.265 playback?

/Mikkel
https://developer.amazon.com/appsandserv...ifications
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thank you, but I don't know if that answers my question.
The page you are referring to is what Amazonn supports presently. I.e. they have a column for "containers" - there's no MKV container, but as we all know MKV containers work perfectly fine in XBMC.

In other words (for those of us that are not experts) - is the SoC in the FireTV capable of HW decoding HEVC in MKV containers if the software (XBMV/SPMC) has the correct driver (?) for it?

/Mikkel
Just as a reference, my exynos note 4 with the current version of mx player can't decode an 8gb h.265 movie smoothly,so I doubt the fireTV will be able to Sad
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
(2014-11-19, 01:39)mikkeland Wrote: Thank you, but I don't know if that answers my question.
The page you are referring to is what Amazonn supports presently. I.e. they have a column for "containers" - there's no MKV container, but as we all know MKV containers work perfectly fine in XBMC.

In other words (for those of us that are not experts) - is the SoC in the FireTV capable of HW decoding HEVC in MKV containers if the software (XBMV/SPMC) has the correct driver (?) for it?

/Mikkel

The container support isn't that import because that's left to each individual app, the hardware doesn't care about the container.

But to answer you question. No, th e AFTV will not decode HEVC in hardware. But even XBMC/Kodi only uses software decoding for HEVC and the AFTV doesn't have a powerful enough SoC to decode it (at least not 1080) in software.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-11-19, 06:47)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-11-19, 01:39)mikkeland Wrote: Thank you, but I don't know if that answers my question.

/Mikkel

The container support isn't that import because that's left to each individual app, the hardware doesn't care about the container.

But to answer you question. No, th e AFTV will not decode HVAC in hardware. But even XBMC/Kodi only uses software decoding for HEVC and the AFTV doesn't have a powerful enough SoC to decode it (at least not 1080) in software.

Thank you :-) Now it all makes sense to me :-)

/mikkel
I'm able to get some 1080 HEVC to play okay, such as animated TV shows in low bit rate. Anything high bit rate stutters too much to be watchable. I've heard others report that most HEVC in 720 plays fine, so I'll try those.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H.265/HEVC, SPMC & Fire TV0