Bug Raise condition if playback and high cpu load in backghroun
Hi,
since a couple of days i observed a new bug in git versions of helix. If i have a video or pvr playing (even if it is paused!) and i start some high cpu load from other programs the whole system starts to slow down after a few minutes until it feels close to frozen.

At first i though my system became unstable and must be restarted. But as i had this several times i observed that killing Kodi imediatley resolves the issue, if i manage to kill. I also observed that waiting a bit longer sometimes Kodi dies on its own.
Code:
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `/usr/local/lib/kodi/kodi.bin'.
Program terminated with signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
#0  0x00007f723b1f4d27 in __GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:56
Because i first thought it might be something else i am currently running the latest rc of kernel 3.18 but the issue was first observed on the official kernel.

I will try to get some logs and crashreports with full debugging enables in the next days. I was just curious if anybody already observed something similar. I am not sure how often it happens and how exactly to trigger the problem. So far it seems everytime while having a video playing/paused and i start compiling kodi on all cores. Kodi was also in window mode while i observed it.

Anyhow, i will try to gather as much as possible informations within the next days about this issue. But maybe somebody already has an idea...
Ok, an update:

The problem occurse every time i have Kodi running, no need for any kind of playback. Just sitting within the menus or at startiü when its loading tis assets/epg data... or idleing.
I just have to start in the background some high load on all cores like building kodi from git.

Then everything is become slow as hell. You can't even connect via ssh really because it's timing out somewhere during the authentification process.

After 5-10min the system kills some process that are consuming the cpu that can be kodi or the build process at random.

I'll try to see if i find the last kodi version that didn't caused this issue.
Why don't you just start posting debuglogs?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Damn, sorry. It seems the issue was caused by something else. Something changed the kernel vm settings and those together with a high load and kodi running caused this issue.

I appologiese for the thread.

Strange enough that kodi running was a must to observe this.

(2014-11-23, 16:54)fritsch Wrote: Why don't you just start posting debuglogs?

i couldn't due to the strange behavior of the system. but it solved on its own as it seems.
In case it happens again even without that strange vm settings i'll report back but i don't think so. It is though strange why it never happend with xbmc or kodi before. Those kernel vm settings are already a few months active.

I assume something in kodis file handling changed that together with slowed down dirty pages writeback from the vm settings caused kind of system stale,

EDIT: This one seems to have caused problems together with a recent kodi build:
echo '3000' > '/proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs';

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raise condition if playback and high cpu load in backghroun0