Linux Unable to watch HD TV channels on linux
Disable Yadif Deinterlacing, additionally use Bilinear scaling.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok:

- Bilinear scaling is already enabled
- Tried switching to bob deinterlacing - no impact
- Tried disabling deinterlacing entirely - got the following crash to desktop when switching to the HD channel http://paste.ubuntu.com/9238513/
Cool, I know that segfault :-)

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver - this should at least get the segfault going. What about VAAPI-BOB? (Also please upgrade to beta5).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
http://paste.ubuntu.com/9254191/

Done - no improvement with either no deinterlacing or VAAPI Bob, and then suffered a crash to desktop at the end of the above log after a long hang when I attempted to stop the stream
Sorry, cannot help you further. Your backend sends a whole lot of broken data. Any chance to remove tvheadend? or at least test with a recording?
Also try with the latest version of tvheadend, there's been a whole bunch of fixes that might affect you.
(2014-11-26, 22:36)fritsch Wrote: Sorry, cannot help you further. Your backend sends a whole lot of broken data. Any chance to remove tvheadend? or at least test with a recording?

Well, I would agree that something was going on with the tuner but

- Kodi on a windows PC tunes to the channels fine
- Kodi on a Ubuntu 14.04 VM on the aforementioned windows PC tunes fine
- Recording playback is usually fine.

As suggested, I will jump to the latest version of tvheadend and see if that makes any difference
Try to turn off VAAPI completely, be setting "Video -> Acceleration -> Decoding Method": Software

Does this help?
Ok, with some further work upgrading TVH/drivers, I've seen the issue reproduced across all my devices now, so looks like I was wrong when I said it was isolated to this client - not sure if it's the card itself or the aerial. Sorry for wasting your time!
Signal errors in any PVR application will throw up problems. Check from the antenna right through (not always easy I know).

Has your antenna recently been compromised? (Storm changed the direction it points etc).

Water got in the cable?

Cable conenctions loose/dirty/otherwise compromised?

Drivers for tuner card changed recently?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You should join #hts on irc.freenode.net, I'm sure it's possible to get to the bottom of the issue.
Ok thanks negge, I'll hang out there when I can and see if I can find anyone active. But here's what I've found tonight -

Scenario:

Windows client starts playing HD channel, TVH server (which is connected to a TV and has the Kodi client on which was originally causing me an issue) is idle with no display active/Kodi on blank screen screensaver. HD channel plays fine

When I switch that TV on, and the Kodi client comes out of sleep, the picture/sound freezes on my Windows client stream with no errors in the TVH log.

If I then leave it and wait for the Kodi client to go back to its blank screensaver, then at that exact moment the video/audio resumes on my Windows client and continues on like nothing had happened.

Doing something like transcoding video in the background which causes a huge CPU spike does not cause this issue

Closing the server Kodi client allows me to reload the stream and continue to play it fine.

Starting the server Kodi client instantly stops the stream again.

Any thoughts?! I'm so confused!
Anything weird like shared mysql database, shared config files ?
Are you using UPNP sharing between the two Kodi clients?
No shared config/DB, there are uPnP shares defined from the ubuntu client, but they weren't in use at the time. Honestly all it was taking for the stream to freeze was for the Ubuntu Kodi client to be out of its screensaver - no videos playing or any other actions being taken.
@negge: Can your revisit this DOS functionality? :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to watch HD TV channels on linux0