Moving media over to a bigger hard drive, what do I need to do?
I'm using version 13.2 right now and want to move close to 1 TB of data over to a 4 TB hard drive and would like to know what's the quickest and less painless way to do this and still be able to keep all my settings and not have Kodi spend probably two hours rescanning things into Kodi?
What are you moving? Content that is in your library or the application itself?
Content in the library movies and TV shows. For now until I build a dedicated device I'm keeping things where they are.
Take a look at the following Wiki entry:
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Update_SQL_...files_move
Move the files to the new drive keeping the folder structure same as before. Then change the drive path of the new hdd to that of the old one. For example, if the files are in the folder E:\Movies in the old hdd, then after moving to the new drive change the new drive letter to E:
That seems a whole lot easier to do.
It sure is if you are just going from removable drive to removable drive.
(2014-11-25, 05:35)Tatts4Life Wrote: That seems a whole lot easier to do.

It is and it works like a charm every time. I've upgraded my drives from 1tb to 2tb to 4tb and every time I follow that method exactly.
So my new drive will come in tomorrow and was wondering about changing the drive letters. My movies are on E: and the other is labeled as G: when I movie the movies over do I the remove the old drive then change the new one to E:? Or do I have to change the old drive first so that E: is available? Sorry if I'm making this sound harder then it is. I've never done something like this before.
Either way, it doesn't matter. By time you are done you just want the new drive to be E. If you want to still be able to access files while you are transferring, then you have to decide do you want to access what has already moved, or what has yet to be moved. That determines whether you change the new drive to E; before or after the migration. Just do not run a video database clean within XBMC while you are in the midst of it.
I just plan to move all media from one drive to the other and giving the old drive to my father in law.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving media over to a bigger hard drive, what do I need to do?0