Shutdown graphics subsystem before pc sleeps
Hi,

I have an HTPC with AMD A8-5545 apu. Whenever my machine goes to sleep and wakes up I end up with a black screen and a frozen xbmc/kodi. This is probably a video driver issue but could possibly be prevented by shutting down the graphics subsystem just before the machine goes to sleep (and consequent restarting it when coming back online). On Windows systems for example you can listen for WM_POWERBROADCAST messages.
How are we supposed to "shutdown" the graphics subsystem?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
You control the graphics subsystem of the application itself as such you can shut it down and restart it once the machine wakes up, but you must know this as a developer. So what exactly is your question?
My question is what exactly you think we should shutdown? I mean we are going to sleep - basically everything is shut down for us ... tearing down the graphics subsystem while the rest of the app is basically still working might not be as easy as you think ... not even sure where to begin with here.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Maybe an option would be to simply restart the app. When the suspend is system triggered the user was not using the system anyway so restarting and ending up at mainscreen is not much of a problem. Same goes for a user triggered suspend from the menu actually.

But this should be optional I guess.
You can use external programs to restart is suspend/resume, on windows eventghost and Linux pm-utils.
Shutting down the graphics system would entail reloading textures and caches and everything. Essentially restarting the majority of the app. All for the 1% which have bad drivers. I say return the device and complain at the customer support of amd. We aren't doing anything drastic when sleeping. So you'd have the same problems when sleeping mid game.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
@grobbie - why not try the hdmi pin 19 cover trick?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Thanks for the replies.
I'll look into the external tools mentioned to shutdown/restart xbmc.

@bry: the black screen has nothing todo with the display not being detected, simply a crashed process (xbmc) due to video driver issues after resume.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shutdown graphics subsystem before pc sleeps0