Purchased an Asus Chromebox, now what do I want?
(2015-02-19, 12:39)bry- Wrote: @Reb313 just get a Playon.tv license if you have a windows box on your network and run that service. That will allow you to access Netflix, Amazon prime video and many other services from within kodi without a problem. Heck if you want to get crazy you can even use the ptvl strm generator to add them directly to the kodi library and you won't know the difference. Strm generator thread
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=205148

I think I"m going to just do that. I'm guessing the best route is the lifetime purchase.
You will come around to eventually realizing that the Chromebox is perfect running Openelec / Kodi in a set and forget configuration. It does the job very well.

For paid video streaming - Netflix, Amazon Prime etc get a cheap dedicated device that suits that job perfectly like the Amazon Fire TV stick with its included remote or a Chromecast.

I too was originally of this school of thought - just get one device to do it all. Too many compromises are made heading down this path at this point in time, plus it gets complicated and expensive.

Smile

(2015-02-19, 14:54)wrxtasy Wrote: You will come around to eventually realizing that the Chromebox is perfect running Openelec / Kodi in a set and forget configuration. It does the job very well.

For paid video streaming - Netflix, Amazon Prime etc get a cheap dedicated device that suits that job perfectly like the Amazon Fire TV stick with its included remote or a Chromecast.

I too was originally of this school of thought - just get one device to do it all. Too many compromises are made heading down this path at this point in time, plus it gets complicated and expensive.

Smile

Why not just get Playon? And what's the advantage of OpenElec over running something like Ubuntu?
Just be aware that Playon HD streamed video has Max resolution of 720p.

http://www.playon.tv/features/hd

Amazon Fire TV Stick and Chromecast = 1080p aka Super HD, if your Internet connection is fast enough.

Openelec / Kodi will be easier to install and upgrade for a newb than Ubuntu. Kodiubuntu is a bit easier again..
Kodi runs perfectly well using either.

(2015-02-19, 15:43)wrxtasy Wrote: Just be aware that Playon HD streamed video has Max resolution of 720p.

Amazon Fire TV Stick and Chromecast = 1080p aka Super HD, if your Internet connection is fast enough.

Openelec / Kodi will be easier to install and upgrade for a newb than Ubuntu. Kodiubuntu is a bit easier again..

I'm fine with whichever, just as long as it can run steam and do steam streaming.
(2015-02-19, 15:58)Reb313 Wrote:
(2015-02-19, 15:43)wrxtasy Wrote: Just be aware that Playon HD streamed video has Max resolution of 720p.

I'm fine with whichever, just as long as it can run steam and do steam streaming.

Openelec doesn't run steam, for that you would need another distro. Kodibuntu will work, but you need to update to kernel 3.18.4 or you'll get video hangs.
(2015-02-19, 14:54)wrxtasy Wrote: You will come around to eventually realizing that the Chromebox is perfect running Openelec / Kodi in a set and forget configuration. It does the job very well.

Smile

Agreed. I initially set out with an Ubuntu/Kodi build on my Chromebox and hit too many bricks in the road trying to get Netflix, Hulu etc. to work properly. The PulseAudio stuff requires compromises to be made in Kodi's audio settings, for example. I finally started over with OpenELEC standalone and could not be more pleased. The menus feel quicker, it boots faster, and HD streams from my HDHomerun seem to load quicker and without the occasional hiccup I experienced with Ubuntu. Things just seem more stable now. I am ordering a FTV for Netflix and Sling TV, and will just switch my AVR to select between the two.
PlayOn has a few downsides:

- The first time I used it, the stream dropped out (no wifi involved)
- Can't fast forward which isn't a big deal until the stream drops out
- Picture quality is very "constrained" even at the highest quality setting in HD since they're doing real-time transcoding

FYI their sale ends 02/22. I don't know why they decided to email me about the sale ending since I already bought it but ok.

Probably going to take advantage of their 30-day money-back guarantee since I paid $50 and that's 60% of an $84 Fire TV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Purchased an Asus Chromebox, now what do I want?1