P (pause) button on keyboard doesn't work??
When I upgraded to Kodi 14 RC2 suddenly the P button to pause TV show on the keyboard doesn't work anymore.

Is this a bug? or did the pause button got reassigned to something else?
Looks like it got overlooked when the action ID was updated in the keymaps.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5910
Not overlooked but deliberate from what I remember, Space should be used to Pause & Unpause if you are using an actual keyboard.
P is P, it can stand for both Play or Pause. Space is "Pause", and you can't select an item and play it back with "Space". Space is also not totally global and is sometimes hijacked for "highlight".

IMO, it can logically go either way, so we should go the way that is more useful. The number of people who want Play to also not Pause is the minority. I've rarely seen any remotes that don't pause when you press the same play button, and I think that's drilled into most people's minds as well. The only reason that "Play without Pause" makes sense is in the rare cares where someone is fast forwarding or rewinding and wants to play right away instead of first pausing. I don't think we should inconvenience the majority just for that tiny use case.

I had to update all my FLIRC setups because of this as well. FLIRC correctly used the P key for years, and now we've changed it on them.
Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I think SPACEBAR as PlayPause might be the best. Still not totally global, but I doubt most people are in the filemanager that often and playing music in the background.
thanks Ned

every remote I ever used play and pause was the same button.

I wonder if this will get fixed. I hope.

Its one of those things that were never broken, why change it.
You can just remap the button can't you?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:Modify_keyboard.xml
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
can't the same be said to people that originally complained and caused this problem? My point is why "fix" something that wasn't broken, as far as I remember P was pause for very very very long time.
Because it was like that for a long time doesn't mean it was correct
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
what is the logic behind it then? every remote I have in the house has a play/pause button.
I think if you look around, you see both discrete play and pause controls, and also toggle controls. I don't know how it can be said one configuration is "correct" over the other. At any rate takes less time to edit the keymap to
Code:
<p>Playpause</p>
than to write this post (and, in music visualization "p" brings up music visualization presets anyway, not play nor pause).

scott s.
Well, I'd like to see the behavior stay the same and P changed to "playpause", since the number of people who want Play-without-pause is really low, and it means all the FLIRC users who used the XBMC button set won't have to change their FLIRC configurations just for Kodi. It might be a minor change, but it's very frustrating from a user standpoint because it's not something you expect to break, so it's easy to assume that it's a bug rather than a config change.

From a support standpoint, the number of people asking why something doesn't work anymore adds up really fast, and totals up into several man hours of responding with instructions on how to fix it. All for the rare chance that someone wanted "P" to only play and never pause.

In other words, it can go either way, so I say take the road that causes less headaches.
P should be set back to Playpause Smile

Would make life much easier.
I don't disagree... Was a bit surprised to see it not work anymore in Kodi 14. And, my TV's remote only has a 'play' button, no pause button. So that would mean, for people with no keyboard, that you'd have to use the playback menu and navigate through a lot of on-screen buttons to get to press 'Pause'. That's hardly userfriendly either.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
P (pause) button on keyboard doesn't work??0