• 19(current)
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
Will have the C1 soon. What is the process for installing the OpenElec/Isengard after the image is on the micro SDHC card? Just a reboot or what? Thanks!
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Main_Page

plus post #268

What are recommended SD-cards and of which maximum size for C1(+)?
On the old C1 - only use Sandisk microSDHC cards , no Samsung at all unless you want problems.
For the new C1+ you can use anything.
The Samsung EVO UHS-1 Class 10 are good value and have proven performance.

No idea on max sizes, the 32GB EVO I have works on the C1+

(2015-08-14, 12:11)wrxtasy Wrote: On the old C1 - only use Sandisk microSDHC cards , no Samsung at all unless you want problems.
For the new C1+ you can use anything.
The Samsung EVO UHS-1 Class 10 are good value and have proven performance.

No idea on max sizes, the 32GB EVO I have works on the C1+

Thanks, I just ordered c1+ and will try a 64 gb card.
Would you recommend emmc?
emmc really is only needed if you plan on doing a lot of Random R/W operations, such as compiling large amount of code when running Ubuntu and running the Full Desktop.

If you're just using the device for Kodi / Android Apps or OpenELEC then its not really needed as not a lot of random write operations occur. Writing data to the sd card is slower than reading from it. A fast Samsung EVO SD card is all you will need for Kodi. Thats all I use.

Hi wrxtasy - are you building for the C1 or do the images you linked to work in the C1+. I am liking the look of this, is it a viable alternative to Raspberry Pi 2 for pure Kodi playback. Also is the android version better than the Minx X6 for kodi playback and the other android benefits? I'm trying to figure out the benefits apart from being able to have either Openelec / Ubuntu and Android on the same device by switching sd cards.
- C1 / C1+ use the same AMlogic S805 SoC (CPU/GPU/VPU), so everything that works on the C1 works on the C1+

- Cannot comment on the Android running on the MINIX NEO X6. They run a custom version of XBMC 13.3.3 with stuff pulled in from Kodi, I don't know how reliable this is, especially for HEVC playback. Android will run out straight out of the box with the X6 and no image flashing with SD cards will be needed. I have yet to see a working version of OpenELEC for the NEO X6 however.

What I can say is Android / Kodi Isengard on the C1+ works fine apart from HEVC playback issues, whereby video hangs after about 10 minutes.
You can workaround this issue by using the Android App - MX Player and call that from within Kodi to play HEVC files and that works well and is super reliable. However video files for MX Player can only be played back from a locally connected usb stick / HDD, not over a local home network. This is an Android limitation. The same would be true of all Android platforms, unless you use some sort of Wrapper.

- OpenELEC 5.9.3 - 6.0 works nicely indeed on the C1+ Its Noticeably faster than my RPi2 with better video quality, especially when deinterlacing broadcast TV. So much so my RPi2 has been gathering dust for about 3 months now. HEVC playback works with this release and also when using Kodi on Ubuntu. (See my Signature down the bottom for a comparison)

- You can actually setup the C1+ to run Android / OpenELEC / Ubuntu all from a single microSDHC card if you care to follow some scripts on the ODROID forum:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=8740
This works well if you purchase a usb FLIRC IR receiver to change to the preferred OS on bootup (selecting 1, 2 or 3), so you can use this to switch OS's from the couch easily using a remote control.

Definitely purchase a FLIRC usb if you are going to use any version of Kodi on the C1+ Believe me it makes life a hell of a lot easier, especially as you can map the full Kodi keyboard controls to any remote of your choosing for the ultimate in control customisation. Smile

So if you need lossless HD Audio decoding to Multichannel PCM or 3D MVC in OpenELEC, go with a RPi2. You will not have 1080p HEVC Hardware decoding however.

Need a tweaked and pimped HEVC / Android + XBMC / Kodi only in a nicely integrated plug and play device, then get a MINIX NEO X6.

I actually prefer the speed of OpenELEC on the C1+ now over my RPi2. It definitely has more grunt with better picture quality, especially interlaced video.
OpenELEC or Ubuntu Kodi on the C1+ plays everything I've thrown at it so far. Lossy 5.1 Audio Passthrough works. Setup a dual boot Android / OpenELEC and use FLIRC and your good to go.

OpenELEC C1+ progress is found here:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...=50#p99829

Phew !

W.

DTS-HD decoding was done for all architectures at the end ... so it's just a matter of compiling dcadec and add the uptodate PR and Odroid will also decode dts-hd
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
how come no ones done a video yet of C1 vs RPI2
that would be worth couple of thousand words

if someone does do one something to look at
speed
video quality
extras - cec, ir, hevc ....
(2015-08-15, 09:21)fritsch Wrote: DTS-HD decoding was done for all architectures at the end ... so it's just a matter of compiling dcadec and add the uptodate PR and Odroid will also decode dts-hd
Thanks Fritsch.... this wee beastie is getting better and better, if we can get lift off on this.
Yes saw the DTS-HD in a brief scan of the code yesterday...

I've enabled the DTS-HD options with a patch for AMlogic C1+ OpenELEC, will have to find dcadec.....

This should do it.... with a small settings mod...
PHP Code:
https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/blob/openelec-6.0/packages/mediacenter/kodi/patches/kodi-999.20-PR7102.patch 

Think the issue with the ODroid C1 is that it doesn't appear to output multichannel PCM - so although you may be able to decode DTS HD MA as well as Dolby True HD, you can't output them in more than PCM 2.0? So passthrough of the DTS / Dolby core/secondary stream is the only solution I can see to getting surround from a C1? Or am I missing something?
Any advice on a better alternative of RPI2 which I'm currently using? I see wrxtasy has been posting in all threads I've been looking so far, but any help is greatly appreciated.
As of yesterday I was between Chromebox and NEO X8-H Plus. Today I came across this thread and added C1+ on my list . Any thoughts on xu4?
All I want is to run Openelec/Kodi. How's CEC working on C1+? Hope this is the right thread to post on. Thanks.
Hi.. Let's start another way, that is what do you want out of a media player ?

HD Audio ?
Android Apps ?
1080p HEVC ?
OpenELEC ?
Kodi running on Ubuntu ?
Android / OpenELEC / Ubuntu on the one SDHC card. (FLIRC needed) ?

What I can say is that C1+ CEC control is not as comprehensively supported in regards to AVR's and some TV as the RPi. It uses a different method to the RPi.

I actually use a USB FLIRC IR receiver as it is superior to even CEC for customized Kodi usage, especially when you map the full suite of Kodi keyboard commands easily to a remote control. Highly recommended if you have a Chromebox or even a RPI as well.

The basic CEC control of the C1 from a TV remote works OK. You need a recent C1 (yellow sticker on Ethernet socket indicates it is the right version) and have to have the Real Time Clock battery for it to work. (The first revision of the C1 had a design fault that stopped CEC working reliably. This was fixed in the later batches and the yellow sticker indicates this)

If you just want to control the C1 from your TV remote via CEC it works OK. However if you want the C1 to also control your AVR for volume etc. (as the Pi 2 does) then you will be disappointed. It doesn't.

For anything more advanced - you are better off with a FLIRC or an MCE receiver and remote, or a Bluetooth dongle and a Sony PS3 Blu-ray remote. (The latter two are also very good with a Pi 2 and a Chromebox. I love that the Pi 2 can be used with non-CEC remote controls, but will still remotely control AVR volume via CEC)

It also appears only to support PCM 2.0 and DD/DTS Passthrough, with no PCM 5.1/7.1 (which would allow DTS HD and Dolby True HD lossless decoding to PCM) or DTS HD/Dolby True HD passthrough. No idea if this is a permanent hardware limitation, or just a function of the current drivers and/or Kodi builds.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S8051