Chromebox sluggish
I recently setup an Asus chromebox with Kodi and OpenElec, I love it and it works great however I have found over a short time it becomes sluggish. When I first set it up If I go into settings and then the OpenElec menu it opens immediately, over time however it gets to the point where it will take a few minutes to open. The same thing happens with video add ons, NFL.COM or ESPN, at the beginning they open right away, over time they take minutes to open.

My Chrome box is stock hardware, I believe I am running RC2 of Kodi 14. I have done a hard reset once, but its back to the same problem. I do have a vast movie collection and a lot of tv shows, I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Would replacing the stock 16GB SSD with a larger one and perhaps adding more RAM help?

Thanks.
have you tried latest stable gotham build of openelec? 2gb more of ram should help with that. See how much space you have left in ssd and report back.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
There's no way anyone needs more than 2GB of RAM for OpenELEC.

I ran my HTPC with full Ubuntu and a bunch of servers in the background plus XBMC for many, many years on 2GB.

Something else is wrong.
Possibly dodgy add-on problem...
Have you been looking in XBMC > System > SysInfo to see if anything seems out of place when this slowdown occurs.

Debug time...

http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

The other test you could do is boot into ChromeOS if possible and drag a long video file into the Chrome webbrowser and let it play for a while and also open up lots of tabs and see if a slowdown occurs, which would point the finger at a hardware issue.

if you use a heavy skin and have a huge library then ram could be suggested. i dont think his ssd is near t full so it is eather something within openelec or need of ram (though the long wait to open settings seems suspicious)
Its possible the OP has not setup his media library metadata correctly.
This is critical especially if you have a very Large media library. This metadata needs to be stored externally with the media files.

Ideally you should have every video file in a separate folder with its own Metadata and use an external media scraper to manage it all such as - MediaElch.

As an example my 512k RPi has over 4000 video files across 3 external networked storage mediums. Metadata setup correctly. I am only using 2.4GB of storage for all that on the SD card on my RPi.
XBMC library navigation is fast.

Its a sadly neglected area of discussion when setting up a XBMC library unfortunately. Sad

I am using the confluence skin, I too have over 4000 movies on a NAS, and somewhere in the neighbourhood of over 350 tv shows on a second NAS, navigation through either of these is fine. Each movie is in its own folder as is each TV show, metadata is managed and stored externally to the Chrome box, although I have updated some movies and tv shows using the refresh/internet feature, I assume that may store some metadata locally but I don't imagine much. I'll have to check free space on the drives tomorrow and report back, but there should be plenty of free space.

The sluggishness is only when I go into an add on or try to go into the Open Elec settings, as I mentioned, after I did a hard reset everything was fine, but then got sluggish again.
I would suggest SSH into the Openelec folder /storage/.kodi/addons/
and putting the add-ons - added since initial install in a seperate folder and reboot.

I tried, my linux skills are rusty, I couldn't get past /video it couldn't find a /.kodi directory.
From an external PC - Putty (Windows) or Cyberduck (OSX) programs are much easier.
Make sure to Show Hidden Files.

it's easier to access via smb. Read this: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Access...mba_Shares

As always is better to add a static ip address to the box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Chromebox sluggish0