Wifi not working on Pi B+ and RaspBMC
Gday everyone,

I apologise in advance if this has been discussed before, but I have spent the past 6 days scouring the web and the forums for a solution to my issue but havent found anything to help. I have just bought a WiFi USB dongle, it recognises my SSID so i know it works, but after that nothing, no IP address in Settings>System Info>Summary and no connectivity at all.

Before I continue I will let you all know...I have no coding experience, XBMC is running on my Pi B+, I do not have any Linux systems running in my house to go in and edit lines etc.

I am running XBMC 13.2 GIT:2014901-867305b (compiled Oct 31 2014)

I have tried the Systems>settings>Get Add-ons>XBMC.org Add-ons>Program Add-ons>Network-Manager, but it says it is it is incompatible and requires Network-Manager 0.9.

So if thats what I need where do I get that from and what needs to be done with it?

If not is there anyone out there that can help me because according to the setup tutorials on the net I have done everything and still no connection.

Cheers in advance for anyone's assistance.

AussiePi Big Grin
It would help if you stated WHICH WiFi dongle you bought. They are not alike and some require you to install special drivers on the Pi.
As far as I have seen the recommended WiFi unit is made by EDIMAX and should be plug-and-play.
Its type number is EW-7811UN. I had no issues with it at all, it just worked.

There is one other issue too:
The Pi is not capable of supplying a lot of current to attached USB devices so they may not operate properly because of this.
It is recommended that you attach a separately powered USB hub to the Pi and then attach whatever USB devices you want to use to the hub instead of to the Pi directly. That would also help.

As will using a good sized power supply designed for charging tablets or directly for the Pi. Numerous strange problems have been tracked down to marginal power supplies....
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Don´t use the network manager, use the Raspbmc settings addon.
As this is a Raspbmc specific issue you should go here for support: http://forum.osmc.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=7

Also, what Bosse_B is mentioning regarding power and voltage is important too.
As stated here the Edimax WiFi adapter is supported out of the box by RaspBMC because it uses the chipset RTL8188CU. That info is found on this page.
As miappa says you should go to the OSMC forum since the KODI forum actually is dedicated to XBMC/KODI software running on Raspberry Pi. The suggested forum deals with everything regarding running RaspBMC on a Pi including hardware issues.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Cheers for the help everyone, I apologise for not putting my thread in the correct forum. As for Power Supply, I am using a 5V 2.1A well known brand tablet/mobile phone charger. I thought that was big enough, please correct me if I am wrong and I will go out and get another one.

I do have a powered USB hub so i will try that tonight when i get home form work.

I am unsure what the brand of USB WiFi adaptor is but I just got it off Ebay so that may be my issue, although as I said it does recognise my router etc just doesnt connect.

I will go grab an Edimax this weekend if I cant get it up and running by then.

Cheers fellas appreciate your help Smile
One of the issues with PSU's is the cable between the PSU and the Pi.
If you get a charger type PSU with a fixed cable in the PSU end then chances are high that the cable to the USB connector towards the Pi is OK.
But if the charger/PSU has a USB connector and you use "any old cable" to connect the Pi with you are in risk of using a cable with too narrow copper wires inside (cheaper to make), which will drop a sizable voltage due to their resistance. So even though the PSU outputs 5.1V or so at the connector the cable may well drop 0.5 V of that and the Pi sees only 4.6 V, which is too low.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
I used to run a Ralink RT5370 WiFi USB dongle on Openelec on my RPi B+

The only way i could get it to work properly without interference was to plug it into the USB socket situated the furthest away from the Ethernet port.

This may help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wifi not working on Pi B+ and RaspBMC0