No audio on PC to RX-A740 to Epson chain
I have a Win7 PC running XBMC (Gotham) with it's HDMI output feeding the HDMI4 input on the Yamaha RX-A740. The 740's output is feeding the HDMI input on the Epson projector. Video is fine but no audio out of the 740. It appears the PC only sees the Epson device (which has no audio) as if the 740 was doing a straight passthru and the PC only configures an Epson playback device driver. XBMC also has it's audio setting set at the Epson device and will not let me change it.

If instead of running XBMC I play a video using VLC, the audio is fine which seems to me to say the RX-A740 is not the problem. I can also use a DVD player and a ROKU on other HDMI inputs into the A740 and the audio is fine. At this point it looks like XBMC is the problem. I am using Gotham release and there are very few audio choices in the Settings. The only one that applies I believe is the Audio output setting under SYSTEM and it stays set at S/PDIF (which explains the no hdmi audio) and there are no change arrows so I cannot change it.

I've seen forum items about "advanced settings" but I don't see any in the GUI. There is an advanced setting file that can be created but it looks like I would need help to fill that in. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Well, the problem has been solved. I finally found that by mousing on the Audio output control, a menu pops up that allows you to change the audio protocol/driver and when I chose the hdmi one, the audio now is good. Although many people will say "DUH!" at this, I can only say that the screwy banner control that XBMC uses on this and the fact that all the other controls have change arrows can throw newbies like me for a loop. I hope this embarrassing admission helps someone else.
You can all ways read the manual if you are unsure about something Wink

Audio settings (wiki)
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No audio on PC to RX-A740 to Epson chain0