Webbrowser for kodi - Thinktank thread
Lightbulb 
Hi kodies (my personal derivation of kodi coders),

First of all: Merry Christmas to everyone of you Smile

I've been playing arround with kodi for several weeks now and it simply got me Big Grin

However there is a thing I desperately miss when writing add-ons: Some kind of qwebview-Element which could be used for displaying the rendered Result of a webpage!

After searching the web I found a thread in this forum, which was dealing about this issue some time ago but seems to be dead now:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=55093&page=5

The attempt there was to use awesomium.

Well I would like to start a new thread for collecting ideas getting Webpages native or at least near native into kodi so we hopefully can build browsers that can be controlled from the sofa.

I know that there exists something like Chrome-Launcher but in my opinion this is more a workarround than a solution. So which attempts should we think about?

I'll do the start:

1. Integrating Webkit into kodi and provide some kind of webview element similar to textboxes labes etc.
  2. Building a webrenderer from scratch which makes usage of the existing elements (would be very painful in my imagination)
  3. Using a web rendering service and display results as an image (which needs to have some scrollable hidden overflow). Simultaniuasly scraping the demanded page for clickable elements which could be displayed remote friendly.
  4. A way to have some kind of iframe/container which allows to executes external programs within this container. In this case we simply could write the browser in qt for example.

All of these points are statused as Gedankenexperiment, so I really would like to hear yours. Maybe there is some progress which I simply have not seen so far. Share your thoughts with me Big Grin

Best wishes
Hello just to let you know that I'm still thinking about this issue. I found another approach.

I will build a Chrome-Plugin, that will make the browser accessable via few keys. Combined with chrome-launcher and kiosk-mode I hopefully will have a like-native browser on my couch potato machine Smile

Other ideas are still welcome Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Webbrowser for kodi - Thinktank thread0