Get/Display more IMDb META values (MPAA-rating, genre, full cast credits, etc.)
ok, anybody got an instruction manual so i can give it a run?
Sad 
i'm not sure if kusskowe's "mpaa rating" patch have been added to the cvs yet? Huh ...the imdb-scraper dll suposidly grabs it but is it added to the database and display?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
good question
no, the mpaa rating information is not in the database, nor is it part of the cimdbmovie class which is where the metadata is tagged to a movie. today, most of this information is actually lost when the database items are converted into fileitems. a lot of options to filter and sort the file listing could be added by adding a member cimdbmovie class to the fileitem class. this is whats done for music using m_musicinfotag. so, anyone want to undertake this little endeavor?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
all, i'm updating the original mpaa patch soon. actually i have it "done" but need to test db upgrades more then get it posted. see this thread also ...

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;t=6344
i was just wondering why xbmc doesn't display the mpaa rating for a movie under movie info.  imho that would me more useful than the the user rating it displays for a movie.  i would think the imdb scan could return that info and then xbmc could display the rating logo.  is there any way i can get it to do that without knowing how to code? if not, could the devs maybe add that in?

no.

you don't need the xdk though to get it into the scraper, but you do need to know how to code.

in the tools dir of the xbmc source is the source to the html scraper and a test gui for it.

first step is getting the info in the scraper.

second step is getting it displayed in xbmc.

cheers,
jonathan

if i recall jm mentioned in a past inquiry that the info was already parsed it was just never added to the skin...

Quote:jmarshall posted: may 07 2005,19:45
link to topic
it's done in the dll we use (at least i'm 99% sure i added it) it just isn't added to the database or the gui.

someone that has some spare time just needs to add it in.  all the parsing work is already done.
First, thanks for the fix for MPAA in 16:9, I was wondering where it was and since I got a 42" plasma Ive set it at 16:9 and never changed it.

Library view, Sort by Rating. Currently we have the small watched unwatched icon on the lower right side. What I am wondering is how to alter so that when in rating view we can apply a small overlay with the rating on the left side.. Or off to the right when in Big Icon view sorting by rating. I will have to dive into it in a few days as I get to do the 4 day 18 hour thing and wont have time to do it myself...

You know what, this makes me sound lazy.. just delete it
I really like the Actor hyperlinks in the cast under movie info. I use it a fair bit and find it quite useful, but I've noticed one small problem. Some movies are missing critical actors from the cast list.

I'm not sure if it's an oversight or intentional, but it looks like you guys scrape your cast list from IMDB's main info page for a given movie. The problem is that IMDB only lists the first 15 (from what I can tell) cast members on the main page and some movies list cast in alphabetical order instead of main characters first. An example of this is Lord of the Rings. On the main movie info page ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120737/ ), Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler, and Elijah Wood are all missing. Therefore they are also missing on the XBMC cast info for that movie and the Lord of the Rings trilogy doesn't show up as movies I have when selecting any of those actors from another movie.

On IMDB's main movie page there is usually a "more" hyperlink below their 15 listed cast members. The resulting page contains a full cast list ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120737/fullcredits ). Would it be possible or practical to scrape from that page and get all the actors? Or would that really bog things down too much?
It would be great if we could have Cash Photos downloaded with the Movie Info and also the casts bio if availalbe on IMDB.

I know what some of the actors look like but not all of them, would be cool for view by picture.
kkampen Wrote:It would be great if we could have Cash Photos downloaded with the Movie Info and also the casts bio if availalbe on IMDB.

I know what some of the actors look like but not all of them, would be cool for view by picture.

From an objective standpoint there would be a few downsides to this... 1. The database would become HUGE and so would the system draw to access it. 1 movie x10 actors so your effectively doing a whole of 11 pages for parsing and storage vs. the single it does now. If its done via xml rather than the database its efficiency will still drop as it loads the pages on selection.

Another thing to consider is access time, currently you drop and parse the page for the movie info but an increase in the parser would boat things and increase time as it then has to search for actors and scalp that page (again 1 movie x10 actors) so your exponentially increasing the ammount of time it takes to actually get the data... on small systems might not seem bad but to that for example to the 290+ backups I have now and your talking about MAJOR lag/down time to get the job done even with it going on in the background.

And lastly, IMDB does change thier code frequently which guys here try to keep up with but if that sort of alteration was made I have no doubt their servers would take a beating and they would no doubt take steps to rectify it, most likely by changing thier layout which would increase downtime from the SVN perspective needing more constant code alterations.

Of course this is speculation on my part but I am certain to the nth degree that the points themselves are valid. If all else fails I will say we tried asking numerous times to simply have trailer info added to the parsing and display and dev was reluctant to do that... I strongly doubt this request will hold any more wieght.

But, in the words of the dev, anybody is welcome to supply a patch for consideration.. trick is, not many have the ability. The end result I think will end up being a personal modification in patch format that will not make it into SVN if anyone does decide to do it outside the mainstream SVN.
RE: Cast Information.

I understand the lag issue & storage. What about having it look up the actor via the Actors interface. So if you view your movies by actor on that page you could query for the actors information via IMDB. That way if you just add the Movie media info it wont query for all the actors. Or could have it only query the top 3-5 actors.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get/Display more IMDb META values (MPAA-rating, genre, full cast credits, etc.)0